2020 Canadian SLP Thread

I got into McMaster and Western and I am having a lot of difficulty comparing the two programs to see which one fits me better. Can anyone share about their experience/ knowledge of  the programs?

Edited by MaddySLP

I got waitlisted by Western. This is my second year being waitlisted. I wonder if they take that into account? 

I really wish they would tell you what spot you are on the waitlist, or at least how big the waitlist is. I've heard of some other schools doing that (mostly in the states). 

I was accepted to Western and waitlisted at Mac! It’s nice that they actually give you a ranking at McMaster!

Edited by Slpeechie

6 minutes ago, rehabscience said:

Waitlisted at Mac #19, I'm assuming it's too low on the list to get acceptance. Anyone last year have any of how much the list moved?

I'm also waitlisted at Mac #22.  Last year somebody got accepted off the waitlist at #28, so there's still hope! 

Congratulations everyone and good luck to those on waitlists!! I was accepted at U of T and Western :D I'll be declining my offer at Western and Alberta. I'm going to be deciding between Toronto and McGill - does anyone have any opinions on the programs (like for you personally, what would be your pros and cons?)

47 minutes ago, SSSLLLPPP said:

So excited! After 3 years of applying and receiving only rejections I was accepted to U of T and wait-listed to Western.

I will be accepting U of T's offer, so hopefully someone gets bumped up a few spots on the waiting list!

DON'T GIVE UP if you receive rejections! It is not a race after all!

Amazing!! Congrats!! 

I don’t think this year will be my year. Would you mind telling me how you improved your stats/CV over the years? Feel free to private message me :) 

6 hours ago, soontobslp said:

Lucky people who get accepted to more than one school, if you know which offers you will be declining can you post so us stressed few on the waitlists can get an idea of how much it will move please! Thank you & congratulations! ?

I will be declining Western and likely McMaster to accept my offer to U of T. I was also on the waitlist for McGill so that would free a spot there! Hope that helps :)

Hi everyone! Congrats on those who got accepted, and good luck to those on waitlist!

I got accepted to McGill, U of T and Western, and am waitlist #16 at McMaster. I will most likely be declining my offer at Western. I am going back and forth between U of T and McGill. Does anyone have any useful insight that may help steer my decision? Thank you!

2 hours ago, tulipz said:

Congratulations everyone and good luck to those on waitlists!! I was accepted at U of T and Western :D I'll be declining my offer at Western and Alberta. I'm going to be deciding between Toronto and McGill - does anyone have any opinions on the programs (like for you personally, what would be your pros and cons?)

Hi Tulipz!

Congrats on getting accepted! I'm in the same boat as you - going back and forth between the two. I know McGill has part time theoretical learning and part time placements, whereas Toronto has full time theory then full time placement based on your last theory block. From what I've heard, the structure at Toronto makes it easier to keep up with your work and you end up with more practica. But the theoretical-based approach at McGill can be beneficial as well. It depends on what type of learner you are. Any advice from your end would help too! Good luck :)

First off, I wanna say And CONGRATS on everyone who got accepted! :) This has been a really nerve-racking point for everyone.

So I received rejection emails from all the ontario schools I applied to. Feeling pretty discouraged, upset and demotivated... But I am not going to give up and will apply again next year. Speech is really my passion. 

Can anyone who has received rejection in the past years and or got accepted finally send me their stats or any advice on what they did to improve their applications? Half of my high mark prerequisites weren't completed by January so I'm guessing that may have affected my application? Any advice would be helpful!

2 hours ago, MattSLP said:

I got accepted to McGill, Mac and U of T and waitlisted at Western. Will be accepting McGill. Good luck everyone! :)

Hi Matt, congrats on getting accepted!

Out of curiosity - do you mind sharing why you're choosing McGill over U of T if it is program-related?

5 hours ago, speechy_123 said:

Hi Tulipz!

Congrats on getting accepted! I'm in the same boat as you - going back and forth between the two. I know McGill has part time theoretical learning and part time placements, whereas Toronto has full time theory then full time placement based on your last theory block. From what I've heard, the structure at Toronto makes it easier to keep up with your work and you end up with more practica. But the theoretical-based approach at McGill can be beneficial as well. It depends on what type of learner you are. Any advice from your end would help too! Good luck :)

Hiya!! The structure is what I'm focusing on too. I really like the way Toronto's unit structure works, but I do think it's awesome that McGill has the weekly placements from the beginning of the program (but I'm worried about having shorter external placements at the same time). I'm also thinking about Montreal vs. Toronto. I've been to Montreal a bunch of times and looooved it, but have never been in Toronto at all, so I don't really know what it's like!! 

Hey everybody congrats to all of the applicants! I know how difficult this whole process is so if you didn't get in this year keep going! It's so difficult to not take anything personally when you've worked so hard but if it's something you're passionate about keep at it and I'm wishing you the best :) 

I was wondering if anybody had any insight into McMaster's accreditation status. I know that they currently have candidacy status and that graduates of the SLP program can practice in Ontario and McMaster can apply for accreditation in April 2022. I'm wondering what this would mean if you would like to practice in another province or if they do not get accreditation? I'm planning on emailing them but I just wondered if anybody on this forum has any insight. Thanks in advance!!