2020 Canadian SLP Thread

On 3/10/2020 at 7:10 PM, SpeechLP2020 said:

I've seen from previous forms its typically between 10-15 people. Hope you all hear back good news soon! ❤️ 

I've also been waitlisted and wondering how long the waitlist was. Did you see that on last years forum? 

I also heard that 20 of the 58 seats last year were filled by people who were on the waitlist. Hopefully the list moves fast for those us hoping to get into UofA. 

50 minutes ago, SLPhopeful127 said:

I've also been waitlisted and wondering how long the waitlist was. Did you see that on last years forum? 

I also heard that 20 of the 58 seats last year were filled by people who were on the waitlist. Hopefully the list moves fast for those us hoping to get into UofA. 

That is super hopeful news. I also was waitlisted at the U of A and am regretting my decision now of only applying to one school... hopefully the waitlist moves lots this year too..

3 hours ago, SLPhopeful127 said:

It was either last year or the 2018 forum! I hope you hear back soon!!! 

Hi all! 

I know this might be off-topic but is anybody set on going forward with their McGill acceptance who is looking for housing? I was wondering if we could create a separate Facebook group for all of us heading to Montreal in the fall to potentially find some roommates! 

Please let me know if anyone would be interested :) 

Jesse  

5 hours ago, nessot18 said:

Hi all! 

I know this might be off-topic but is anybody set on going forward with their McGill acceptance who is looking for housing? I was wondering if we could create a separate Facebook group for all of us heading to Montreal in the fall to potentially find some roommates! 

Please let me know if anyone would be interested :)

Jesse  

Hi Jesse! That sounds like a great idea. I'd definitely be interested in going the fb group :)

15 hours ago, Slpqwe said:

Hi Jesse! That sounds like a great idea. I'd definitely be interested in going the fb group :)

Hi guys! I would also be super interested in this :D 

Hi Everyone! 
I've started a new Facebook group for those of us who are set on attending McGill in the Fall! I thought it would be a good idea to get to know each other or even just a way for everyone to ask questions and possibly find some roommates. This whole process can be so daunting but I'm hoping we can get through it together, if anything. 

I've attached the link but if that doesn't work you can just look up the name of the group which is McGill SLP Class of 2022 on Facebook :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1705551092930402/

Cheers! 

Jesse 

13 hours ago, nessot18 said:

Hi Everyone! 
I've started a new Facebook group for those of us who are set on attending McGill in the Fall! I thought it would be a good idea to get to know each other or even just a way for everyone to ask questions and possibly find some roommates. This whole process can be so daunting but I'm hoping we can get through it together, if anything. 

I've attached the link but if that doesn't work you can just look up the name of the group which is McGill SLP Class of 2022 on Facebook :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1705551092930402/

Cheers! 

Jesse 

Hey! Just joined the forum today after receiving an acceptance call from McGill on Friday! Had to avoid it before because seeing everyone talking about GPA's and volunteer hours stresses me out lol. I'm still not entirely sure about where I'll be next year, but would love to join this group! 

Kira

Edited by k.mau96

Hey everyone! I have been accepted to McGill for this fall, and I was just wondering if anyone had info on how the practicums work. Specifically, I am not bilingual so I realize this does limit some options for placements in Quebec, as you must be bilingual for hospital/health related placements. Does anyone know more about this? 

Thanks in advance! 

Kira 

4 hours ago, k.mau96 said:

Hey everyone! I have been accepted to McGill for this fall, and I was just wondering if anyone had info on how the practicums work. Specifically, I am not bilingual so I realize this does limit some options for placements in Quebec, as you must be bilingual for hospital/health related placements. Does anyone know more about this? 

Thanks in advance! 

Kira 

From what I remember reading on their website, they say there's actually little opportunity within Quebec and Ontario for McGill student placements and they encourage you to venture out into other provinces, especially more rural areas. I would definitely look more into it, this is just what I remember reading when I was curious about the same thing. I definitely don't think not being bilingual will be a disadvantage to you, it's pretty likely that several people in your class won't be.

6 hours ago, EagerSpeechie2019 said:

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are all staying healthy! I'm just wondering if anyone has formally declined a school yet? I'm sure movement will start April 1st but this wait is killing me. 

My understanding is that people have until April 15th to respond. So people on the waitlist will hear sometime after that. Stay safe!!

14 hours ago, EagerSpeechie2019 said:

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are all staying healthy! I'm just wondering if anyone has formally declined a school yet? I'm sure movement will start April 1st but this wait is killing me. 

Hey! Not to get anyones hopes up but I know If I get into Western or UofT (I find out April 1) I will be declining my offer to Alberta that day! Ill keep you guys updated good luck to everyone I know this wait is hard but we will make it were almost there!

On 3/19/2020 at 4:54 PM, k.mau96 said:

Thanks in advance! 

Kira 

Hi Kira! From what I can tell from the website and from the McGill SLP alumni I've spoken with, bilingual students have an increased opportunity to have practicum in the health care settings in the internal placements during the fall and winter semesters. And then for the summer placements, if you're willing to leave Montreal to complete them (which I think a lot of non-Quebecois students do), you shouldn't have trouble getting a placement in your area of choice :) 

[and PS I am in your boat, too. Lots of French Immersion experience but definitely not comfortable enough for fast-paced placement talk in a hospital lol]

Edited by tulipz