2020 Canadian SLP Thread

2 minutes ago, 2020speech said:

I received my acceptance through email yesterday and my portal hasn't updated yet either! It still says it is in "pre-screening". 

Congrats to everyone accepted and good luck to everyone still waiting!! :) 

Thanks for confirming! I was a bit stressed over it, haha. Congratulations to you too! :)

Does anyone know what UofA is referring to when they ask me to upload "an updated transcript with the grading sheet attached"? What sort of grading sheet are they looking for? I expected my transcripts would contain enough information on my grades! Thanks in advance! 

4 minutes ago, slp.dreamer said:

Does anyone know what UofA is referring to when they ask me to upload "an updated transcript with the grading sheet attached"? What sort of grading sheet are they looking for? I expected my transcripts would contain enough information on my grades! Thanks in advance! 

Did you end up receiving an email asking for an updated transcript with a grading sheet? If it just said it on the admissions letter but you didn't receive an email asking for the updated transcript with grading sheet, then you're good! If you did end up receiving an email, they just want the grading scheme, like the page that indicates that a 4.0 = A+ = Excellent etc.. Does that make sense? 

1 hour ago, slp.dreamer said:

Not sure if this is applicable to you but when I scanned and uploaded my transcript during my application I scanned both the front and back sides even though it seemed like the back side was just a generic message in a light font and didn't really have any important information on it. But it had the grading scale on it for my university! So maybe if you didn't include that in your application that is what they're asking for? I uploaded a screenshot of what it looked like on the back of my transcript.

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 7.53.57 PM.png

I know someone posted the stats for a few of the other universities but can't remember if someone posted for U of A. Does anyone know the stats on how many people apply vs. how many get accepted to U of A each year?

1 minute ago, EagerSpeechie2019 said:

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone knows the average class size for U of A? And the waitlist size? Thanks in advance 

On the planner for beartracks it shows that the classes have 61 students in them, and labs are divided into 30 and 31 students. As for the waitlist, I heard UofA usually has 10-15 people. :)

25 minutes ago, EagerSpeechie2019 said:

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone knows the average class size for U of A? And the waitlist size? Thanks in advance 

Hi there! I’m a current UofA student and at the start of the term we had 58 students and last years class had the same. The bigger class size on bear tracks is because sometimes PhD students also participate in some of our classes.

5 minutes ago, soontobslp said:

Congratulations to everyone who was accepted to UofA & good luck to everyone who’s still waiting to hear back! If anyone is interested in making a facebook group for those who got into UofA message me! ?

I'd like to join a group if there is one!!

9 hours ago, SpeechLP2020 said:

On the planner for beartracks it shows that the classes have 61 students in them, and labs are divided into 30 and 31 students. As for the waitlist, I heard UofA usually has 10-15 people. :)

Where did you find a planner on beartracks? :) I can't seem to find anything beyond the list of course offerings haha!

Edited by tulipz

32 minutes ago, tulipz said:

Where did you a planner on beartracks? :) I can't seem to find anything beyond the list of course offerings haha!

I just searched for CSD in the search bar of the “my planner” on bear tracks . :) 

7 hours ago, soontobslp said:

Congratulations to everyone who was accepted to UofA & good luck to everyone who’s still waiting to hear back! If anyone is interested in making a facebook group for those who got into UofA message me! ?

I would be interested too! :) 

55 minutes ago, SpeechLP2020 said:

I just searched for CSD in the search bar of the “my planner” on bear tracks . :) 

Thank you for the info! Do you happen to have already taken courses at U of A? I was looking around and I think the planner may actually be a feature for students who have already been enrolled :P

3 minutes ago, tulipz said:

Thank you for the info! Do you happen to have already taken courses at U of A? I was looking around and I think the planner may actually be a feature for students who have already been enrolled :P

Sorry! I should have mentioned, I’m able to view the classes available next year because I’m still a student at the UofA. I can send you screenshots of the classes/times or the info if you’d like! :) 

54 minutes ago, SpeechLP2020 said:

Sorry! I should have mentioned, I’m able to view the classes available next year because I’m still a student at the UofA. I can send you screenshots of the classes/times or the info if you’d like! :) 

That would be really fantastic if you don't mind/have time! Thank you! I'm mostly curious about the times :)

13 hours ago, SpeechLP2020 said:

Did you end up receiving an email asking for an updated transcript with a grading sheet? If it just said it on the admissions letter but you didn't receive an email asking for the updated transcript with grading sheet, then you're good! If you did end up receiving an email, they just want the grading scheme, like the page that indicates that a 4.0 = A+ = Excellent etc.. Does that make sense? 

Oh wow thank you!! I was worried I as missing something major. And yes I got an email in my application portal with all the specifics!

12 hours ago, JennSed said:

Not sure if this is applicable to you but when I scanned and uploaded my transcript during my application I scanned both the front and back sides even though it seemed like the back side was just a generic message in a light font and didn't really have any important information on it. But it had the grading scale on it for my university! So maybe if you didn't include that in your application that is what they're asking for? I uploaded a screenshot of what it looked like on the back of my transcript.

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 7.53.57 PM.png

Thank you so much!! You're right - I didn't upload that page at first! 

2 hours ago, SpeechLP2020 said:

If it isn't too much trouble I would love to see the classes/timetable for UofA as well! I'm super curious now haha

10 hours ago, soontobslp said:

I'm interested! :D