2020 Canadian SLP Thread

9 hours ago, Origami_Princess said:

mcmaster: 2019: 32 accepted /453 applicants

2018: 32 accepted/483 applicants

uoft: 2018 & 2019: 60 accepted/289 applicants

western:  2019:51 accepted/401 applicants

2018: 50 accepted/426 applicants

ubc: ~36 accepted/75 applicants

Hey! Where did you get the stats for UBC? Their website says they get between 120-150 applicants 

7 hours ago, Slpeechie said:

Hey! Where did you get the stats for UBC? Their website says they get between 120-150 applicants 

ubc is just an estimation. they say that 120-150 applicants apply to slp and audiology so just to be safe, i assumed 50:50

Edited by Origami_Princess

1 hour ago, EagerSpeechie2019 said:

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyones application for U of A has switched from 'Pre-Screening' to 'Under Review' yet? 

Mine is still in the 'Pre-screening' still. I heard that UofA takes a while to review them, and send out offers. Someone had said that the UofA told them they were reviewing applications this week, but I don't think they've started yet. 

2 hours ago, Origami_Princess said:

ubc is just an estimation. they say that 120-150 applicants apply to slp and audiology so just to be safe, i assumed 50:50

Hi, I'm a current UBC student. The audiology program is small, they only have 12 spots and receive a lot less applications. I'm not sure what the specific numbers for SLP applicants are, but the majority of applications are for SLP, so the estimate applicant number would be higher than 50:50. My guess is closer to 90:10 or 80:20 ish

7 minutes ago, Slpeechie said:

I got accepted to the U of A!! Last year I was waitlisted and felt so discouraged. If you don’t get accepted this year, just keep trying and don’t give up!

Congratulations! I have received an acceptance as well ?

8 minutes ago, Slpeechie said:

I got accepted to the U of A!! Last year I was waitlisted and felt so discouraged. If you don’t get accepted this year, just keep trying and don’t give up!

Congratulations!! I wasn’t expecting an acceptance because I heard that most people don’t get accepted the first time around. It was really nice to see that all my work paid off. :) 

Can’t wait to meet you all in the fall! 

Just now, ARBSLP said:

Congratulations! I have received an acceptance as well ?

Congratulations! I can’t wait to meet you all in the fall ??

7 minutes ago, EagerSpeechie2019 said:

Congratulations everyone! Mine still says 'Pre-Screening' feeling a little discouraged 

Don’t lose hope!! There are people who are bound to reject their offers. 

Just now, EagerSpeechie2019 said:

For those of you accepted to U of A did you receive an email or call? Has your portal changed? 

I received an email. 

I got accepted to U of A!!!!! I'm so relieved and excited, I definitely thought I didn't have a strong enough application. It was my first choice! Congrats everyone! Fingers crossed to those still waiting :) 

6 minutes ago, EagerSpeechie2019 said:

For those of you accepted to U of A did you receive an email or call? Has your portal changed? 

My portal still says "pre-screening" and "decision pending"! I received and email with acceptance.

40 minutes ago, hbgradschool said:

I also received an acceptance to U of A!! This feels crazy. Did anyone get the email requesting an extra transcript? 

I didn't get the email but I also don't know if I'm checking in the right places. There also isn't a button to accept or decline my offer yet so I'm not sure if maybe it hasn't been updated yet?

1 hour ago, SpeechLP2020 said:

Don’t lose hope!! There are people who are bound to reject their offers. 

I received an email. 

Thank you. I'm just feeling awful. Trying to stay hopeful! Congratulations again and thank you for replying :)

Just now, EagerSpeechie2019 said:

Thank you. I'm just feeling awful. Trying to stay hopeful! Congratulations again and thank you for replying :)

Don't feel awful!! They send out acceptances in waves, and they've only started today! There's still plenty of time and hope! :)

1 hour ago, JennSed said:

I didn't get the email but I also don't know if I'm checking in the right places. There also isn't a button to accept or decline my offer yet so I'm not sure if maybe it hasn't been updated yet?

I feel the same! Okay well I'll try to post something if I figure it out. :)

2 hours ago, hbgradschool said:

I also received an acceptance to U of A!! This feels crazy. Did anyone get the email requesting an extra transcript? 

I just checked my email and I got accepted!!! I agree, it's slowly hitting me and I'm in shock. I also got asked to update some transcript and to check the portal to see if I can do that. My portal still says pre-screeing and that my application status is pending still. 

Congratulations to everyone who got in!!! I can't wait to meet all of you this fall! And to everyone else, there's still hope! 

Cheers

4 minutes ago, v.lee said:

I just checked my email and I got accepted!!! I agree, it's slowly hitting me and I'm in shock. I also got asked to update some transcript and to check the portal to see if I can do that. My portal still says pre-screeing and that my application status is pending still. 

Congratulations to everyone who got in!!! I can't wait to meet all of you this fall! And to everyone else, there's still hope! 

Cheers

If you don’t mind me asking, did you just get your email or was it this morning? :) And congratulations on your acceptance! :D

To those wondering about the transcript, I was confused too. I emailed Vicky and mentioned that I had no transcript update prompt and she said it was just for people who didn't include a transcript with grading scales/up-to-date transcripts so I didn't need to upload one! So I think that if you don't get the email on the portal, then you're fine!