2020 Canadian SLP Thread

20 minutes ago, GenerationSpeechie said:

This is also my second year applying! Last year I applied but I feel like it was a complete waste since I barely had the grades. Since then, I took some additional courses and also re-took some prereq courses. Like @SpeechPlease said above, I never stopped and I made sure I gave 100%. I also spent the year getting into research with neuro-imaging and schizophrenia (nothing related to speech really, but I took what I could get!). I also did more volunteering but made sure it was a variety - so I originally had experience with ASD/other development kiddos, but I expanded and ended up volunteering in feeding studies/videofluroscopy labs, a clinic for augmentative commmunication, private practise, and therapeutic swimming and equestrian camps along side an SLP, OT, and PT.

On another note, your application may be fantastic, but it mostly depends on the cohort of the year (how many people apply, their applications, etc). I know that we're all smart and we all deserve to get in, and it's frustrating when our application is amazing, but there's always going to be somebody out there who has a couple grades higher than us, or more experience.

Hope this helped!

Thank you! This was very helpful, and actually gave me hope. I'm definitely going to look into more volunteering experiences. I completely understand the frustrations of having a great application, to only have someone who is slightly better be accepted. My GRE verbal scores are not the best, so I'm hoping they won't heavily rely on that. I guess I'm just super stressed because its the only school I applied into, because I don't have the option of leaving the province. 

Thanks again, and I hope you get in!! Keep us posted! :)

4 minutes ago, SpeechLP2020 said:

Wow you've done so much! I was looking into a ABA therapy, but I wasn't sure how to do about this if I need to. I heard that it takes two years to get certified in ABA? Also, congratulations on your publication, and acceptance into another Masters program! I hope you get into speech!! :)

It all depends,  you need to pass the 45 hour Registered Behaviour Technician training for my work. Some people need to take the certification test, but I was not required to. Many places will allow you to perform ABA therapy without the board certification

Edited by SpeechPlease

On 2/23/2020 at 2:00 AM, v.lee said:

Hey! I'm curious if you received a notification that you were waitlisted and when you found that out? Do they send out letters to everyone on the waitlist as soon as the quota is filled? I applied to U of A for the first time, but to be honest I have a feeling I'll be waitlisted too. I'm going a little crazy having to wait and not being able to plan out if I have to move to Edmonton or not!

Last year I was told I was on the waitlist at the end of March. No they do not send out letters to people on the waitlist once the quota is filled. You are not told how many people are on the waitlist or where you are ranked on the waitlist. All you are told is to “rest assured” that they will contact you if your name rises to the top - this could happen anytime up to September. I didn’t receive a formal rejection until October. 

11 hours ago, MissSB said:

How is everyone preparing the the McMaster MMI?

I’ve collected resources from friends who completed MMIs for med school. I’m also going through practice questions and what I remember from last year and thinking about how I would answer those questions with the knowledge I have now.

Hi does anyone know if UofT has their own portal that we should have been emailed about to make an account for? I got an email from McMaster and Western for that but not UofT and have checked my spam and everything. Just want to make sure I am not missing anything. Thank you!

11 hours ago, MissSB said:

How is everyone preparing the the McMaster MMI?

I've been looking up sample MMI questions and messaged people I know who did them to get advice. Also having a friend practice scenarios with me who has done the MMIs (but for dentistry). 

34 minutes ago, nigellovesslp said:

Hi does anyone know if UofT has their own portal that we should have been emailed about to make an account for? I got an email from McMaster and Western for that but not UofT and have checked my spam and everything. Just want to make sure I am not missing anything. Thank you!

Uoft doesnt have one

Edited by Origami_Princess

4 hours ago, nigellovesslp said:

I didn't get an email about Western's portal - when did you get it?

** Found it in my spam!

Edited by SLP(lease)

On 2/26/2020 at 3:37 PM, SLP-2020 said:

Hey! Did anyone here apply to any US schools? 

Hey! I applied to US schools. I got into UMaine, University at Buffalo, and UVM. Where have you applied?

@SpeechLP2020 and @EagerSpeechie2019 thanks so much for your replies! I wasn't sure how that worked so it's a relief to know that if I do get waitlisted I'll know right away. 

On 2/23/2020 at 7:04 AM, SpeechLP2020 said:

Thanks for the response! I was looking for the wait list date too. On previous forms, people found out they were waitlisted on March 28-29. I’m hoping we’ll find out soon because the wait is driving me crazy. 
Also, Maybe she hesitated because not many of the 170 meet the requirements? ? 

My guess is that some people do just apply for the program without actually meeting the admissions criteria, and they know it but figured may as well try anyways? 

On 2/28/2020 at 1:02 PM, Slpeechie said:

Last year I was told I was on the waitlist at the end of March. No they do not send out letters to people on the waitlist once the quota is filled. You are not told how many people are on the waitlist or where you are ranked on the waitlist. All you are told is to “rest assured” that they will contact you if your name rises to the top - this could happen anytime up to September. I didn’t receive a formal rejection until October. 

Holy! That's a long time to wait to get a formal letter. Thanks for the info, and I've got my fingers crossed for you this round!

Also, for everyone here going crazy like I am waiting, congratulations on all your hard work in these applications! While we don't have any control over what might happen in the future, know that you've really done the best that you were able to. My personal best included okay grades, many meltdowns, sending everything in last minute, and nothing close to the "perfect" that I wanted it to be. But it was honestly the best that I could manage and I'm proud of accomplishing it! You should all give yourself a pat on the back for doing the same! Best of luck to everyone :)

Cheers

Hi everyone!

I applied to Dalhousie, Western, McMaster, UofA, and UBC. I can't wait to find out the results next month! I find myself going through all the possible scenarios of what could happen if I get accepted to a certain place, where I might be moving to, what happens if I don't get accepted, etc. It's hard not to overthink everything, even though the process is out of our control now. 

Good luck to everyone who applied! 

Is anyone else on the waitlist for an MMI at McMaster? I'm checking my email like every 5 minutes hoping I'll get an interview offer. If anyone has gotten off the waitlist, please let me know! It would be nice to hear that someone has done it :)  I'm not very hopeful because it doesn't make much sense to reject an interview offer...

Hope everyone isn't too stressed out in the waiting process!

19 hours ago, Meggiemoo said:

Is anyone else on the waitlist for an MMI at McMaster? I'm checking my email like every 5 minutes hoping I'll get an interview offer. If anyone has gotten off the waitlist, please let me know! It would be nice to hear that someone has done it :) I'm not very hopeful because it doesn't make much sense to reject an interview offer...

Hope everyone isn't too stressed out in the waiting process!

When I inquired about how many interview offers they sent from the waitlist, I was told they average around 20 per year. But... she also told me that I was 9th on the waitlist and we would know by this past Monday if we were going to be offered an interview and I was not contacted so I am assuming they did not offer many spots to the waitlist this year.

Sorry for the not-so-good news but at least we can stop wondering!

3 hours ago, Cjspeechie said:

When I inquired about how many interview offers they sent from the waitlist, I was told they average around 20 per year. But... she also told me that I was 9th on the waitlist and we would know by this past Monday if we were going to be offered an interview and I was not contacted so I am assuming they did not offer many spots to the waitlist this year.

Sorry for the not-so-good news but at least we can stop wondering!

Hey! 

I am also on the waitlist and was wondering if this was sent after the email that said we would be contacted by March 5 at midnight? 

9 hours ago, SLP-2020 said:

Hey guys! Does anyone know how many applicants the Canadian schools get each year? Waiting is driving me crazy :) 

mcmaster: 2019: 32 accepted /453 applicants

2018: 32 accepted/483 applicants

uoft: 2018 & 2019: 60 accepted/289 applicants

western:  2019:51 accepted/401 applicants

2018: 50 accepted/426 applicants

ubc: ~36 accepted/75 applicants

Edited by Origami_Princess

On 2/8/2020 at 11:55 AM, Cjspeechie said:

Do you know how many out of province students they accept per year? Also I'm on the fence about my GRE scores, do you know how much attention they give those in the selection process?

It seems like at least half of my class is from out of province and it is one of the larger classes at 56. I haven't heard anything about specific numbers according to province of residence like UBC. I don't think they care much about the GRE. Officially they want you to be above the 50th percentile in everything, especially writing and verbal reasoning, but I don't think it was make or break for anyone if the other parts of your application are strong.