2020 Canadian SLP Thread

On 1/20/2020 at 8:39 PM, 2020speech said:

Wow, I totally feel the same! It's also my first year applying (also applied to UofA)! 

I'm finding it hard not to compare my stats to other applicants, especially because there are some amazing students out there. 

Haven't gotten any yet but I'm hoping to get updates sooner rather than later. Good luck!!

Hey! I'm in the same boat. I've submitted my application but I'm still waiting on one of my professors to submit their reference letter. I don't think I've ever been so stressed. Its upsetting to know that my application lies in this professors hands. 

Hope you all get in! :)

Hey guys!

For those who are applying to U of A, I got a question for you! I just finished my last 2 pre-req courses in December (through U of A, and I graduated from another university last year), but my prof JUST changed the grade on Monday. I requested new transcripts immediately, but I really feel like I need to submit my application NOW to give my references enough time. If my transcripts don't make it by tomorrow, will I be able to upload it after I submit my application? I made sure to put my degree status as "incomplete" for U of A, but for the other university I listed it as "completed". 

The panic is so real right now.

Cheers!

2 hours ago, v.lee said:

Hey guys!

For those who are applying to U of A, I got a question for you! I just finished my last 2 pre-req courses in December (through U of A, and I graduated from another university last year), but my prof JUST changed the grade on Monday. I requested new transcripts immediately, but I really feel like I need to submit my application NOW to give my references enough time. If my transcripts don't make it by tomorrow, will I be able to upload it after I submit my application? I made sure to put my degree status as "incomplete" for U of A, but for the other university I listed it as "completed". 

The panic is so real right now.

Cheers!

Yes you’re able to do that. You just need to let them know when you updated it. I did that last year. 

7 hours ago, Slpeechie said:

Yes you’re able to do that. You just need to let them know when you updated it. I did that last year. 

I was having this dilemma too! Just wondering, how did you update it/let them know? This just might be me having a brain fart moment but I can't seem to figure out how on the website.

@Slpeechie Thank you for your reply!! When I read it on the website it just seems kind of ambiguous, but it's a relief to know that you've done it and it works. 

3 hours ago, tulipz said:

I was having this dilemma too! Just wondering, how did you update it/let them know? This just might be me having a brain fart moment but I can't seem to figure out how on the website.

My guess would be to make a comment in the notes section of the application, where you upload all your documentation? Or perhaps they prefer a different way? I'm wondering about that too.

Cheers

4 hours ago, tulipz said:

I'm pretty sure I emailed them and they deleted my old transcript, so then I had the option to upload a new one on my application. 

9 hours ago, student1995 said:

Hey everyone! I’m a current student at the UofA so please let me know if you have any questions about the program! Good luck! 

Hey, 

First-and-foremost, congratulations on getting into the program! How are you finding it so far? Also, when you applied do you know when decisions began to roll-out? I've been compulsively checking my email every hour, and its just increasing my anxiety levels. 

To the UofA applicants, under references, when it changes from "Reference request email sent" to "Reference initiated" , does that mean that the reference has submitted their letter and all other forms? I'm getting more nervous as the deadline approaches and I just want to make sure everything is in order!!

1 hour ago, 2020speech said:

To the UofA applicants, under references, when it changes from "Reference request email sent" to "Reference initiated" , does that mean that the reference has submitted their letter and all other forms? I'm getting more nervous as the deadline approaches and I just want to make sure everything is in order!!

I think "reference initiated" means they have opened the link/started their form but have not submitted it yet. Once it has been submitted, it will change to "reference submitted"

11 hours ago, 2020speech said:

"Reference Initiated" means that they have responded that they agree to be a reference and may have possibly started their application. For the reference to be submitted it should say "Reference Submitted". 

2 minutes ago, smellyrich said:

Orpas has posted our Sub-GPAs! 

I called ORPAS and apparently that isn't our Sub-GPAs! They get posted later on in February and ORPAS sends out an email! The lady on the phone said to not worry about the number since it'll be a different one when the sub-GPAs actually get posted later on!

Edited by GenerationSpeechie
typo

I'm so nervous! STILL waiting on my last reference to submit his letter for U of A. I told him it had to be submitted by Jan. 29 (just to be on the safe side), I even reminded him a week beforehand and he responded saying that he's got it all under control and not to worry. It's almost Feb. 1 (the due date) and he still hasn't submitted. He's already written one for me because he submitted one for me in early January for Western, so I don't know why he can't just submit it!! I thought maybe the link U of A sent him had the actual due date on it and maybe that's why he hasn't submitted yet, but I'm not sure. I hate having to nag him but I even got a message from U of A today to follow up with him to make sure it gets submitted or my application won't be reviewed. Sometimes he responds to my emails within 30 minutes, and sometimes he takes a week to respond. I'm so nervous because I don't even know WHEN he's going to open my email. Fingers crossed. ?

12 hours ago, JennSed said:

I'm so nervous! STILL waiting on my last reference to submit his letter for U of A. I told him it had to be submitted by Jan. 29 (just to be on the safe side), I even reminded him a week beforehand and he responded saying that he's got it all under control and not to worry. It's almost Feb. 1 (the due date) and he still hasn't submitted. He's already written one for me because he submitted one for me in early January for Western, so I don't know why he can't just submit it!! I thought maybe the link U of A sent him had the actual due date on it and maybe that's why he hasn't submitted yet, but I'm not sure. I hate having to nag him but I even got a message from U of A today to follow up with him to make sure it gets submitted or my application won't be reviewed. Sometimes he responds to my emails within 30 minutes, and sometimes he takes a week to respond. I'm so nervous because I don't even know WHEN he's going to open my email. Fingers crossed. ?

ahh that is the worst! I hope he sends it soon. With regards to knowing when he opens your email, I think there is a setting in outlook and gmail to be notified when the email is opened. I always forget to use it but maybe that would help with peace of mind, especially for these types of things. Good luck!

13 hours ago, JennSed said:

Hey, I had a similar situation but rather than giving them a deadline on January 29, I told them that the references are due on January 21st. This ensured that I had the references completed over a week in advance, and that I had time to find other references because life happens sometimes. 

In terms of the deadline being in the email that UofA sent, I don't think they put in the deadline. They expect students to update their references. My references have forwarded screenshots of their emails when they received them, and the emails that said that the references were completed and none of those have the actual due date. 

I hope it all works out, keep us posted! 

13 hours ago, slpthings said:

ahh that is the worst! I hope he sends it soon. With regards to knowing when he opens your email, I think there is a setting in outlook and gmail to be notified when the email is opened. I always forget to use it but maybe that would help with peace of mind, especially for these types of things. Good luck!

Thank you!! He ended up submitting it last night thankfully!

12 hours ago, SpeechLP2020 said:

Hey, I had a similar situation but rather than giving them a deadline on January 29, I told them that the references are due on January 21st. This ensured that I had the references completed over a week in advance, and that I had time to find other references because life happens sometimes. 

In terms of the deadline being in the email that UofA sent, I don't think they put in the deadline. They expect students to update their references. My references have forwarded screenshots of their emails when they received them, and the emails that said that the references were completed and none of those have the actual due date. 

I hope it all works out, keep us posted! 

Thank you!! He ended up submitting it last night thankfully. He did say that on the link they sent him it said his reference was due by Feb. 3 and said it's not uncommon for grad schools to give the students and the referees different due dates apparently? I'm not sure on that matter but just thankful it's all done and taken care of now!

On 1/24/2020 at 8:13 AM, SpeechLP2020 said:

Hey, 

First-and-foremost, congratulations on getting into the program! How are you finding it so far? Also, when you applied do you know when decisions began to roll-out? I've been compulsively checking my email every hour, and its just increasing my anxiety levels. 

Hey there!

Thank you so much! I didn’t hear back until the end of March, which is actually pretty. But I definitely understand the compulsive checking. The waiting is the worst! But you’re very unlikely to hear anything until at least the beginning of March. If anyone is interested in Dal, I didn’t hear from them until beginning of April. 

Good luck! 

9 hours ago, JennSed said:

Thank you!! He ended up submitting it last night thankfully. He did say that on the link they sent him it said his reference was due by Feb. 3 and said it's not uncommon for grad schools to give the students and the referees different due dates apparently? I'm not sure on that matter but just thankful it's all done and taken care of now!

I'm so glad he got it in on time!! I was thinking of you yesterday and hoping that he'd get it in on time. Thanks for updating me and letting me know about the reference due dates. In the screenshots that my references had sent there wasn't a date, but maybe there was an email that they hadn't shown to me. Either way, I'm just so glad that he was able to get it in on time for you! Best of luck, I seriously hope you get in! :)

7 hours ago, student1995 said:

Hey there!

Thank you so much! I didn’t hear back until the end of March, which is actually pretty. But I definitely understand the compulsive checking. The waiting is the worst! But you’re very unlikely to hear anything until at least the beginning of March. If anyone is interested in Dal, I didn’t hear from them until beginning of April. 

Good luck! 

Thank you! I can relax on compulsively checking my email now, haha. There was someone on a forum who had said they heard back during reading week (February 15ish), so I wasn't sure if that would have given them enough time to review the applications. 

19 minutes ago, SpeechLP2020 said:

Thank you! I can relax on compulsively checking my email now, haha. There was someone on a forum who had said they heard back during reading week (February 15ish), so I wasn't sure if that would have given them enough time to review the applications. 

Two years ago my friend was accepted to the U of A mid-February. Last year I called their department mid-February asking when they expected to send out offers and they said they were sending them out later than usual because of a change of roles happening at the time. So maybe there's a chance we could find out earlier again this year.