2020 Canadian SLP Thread

I did about the same thing and didn't send my application on time. What you will need to do is contact the universities you want to go do and ask them if they can extend the deadline. If you call ORSAP they will tell you it's out of their hands and you need permission from the university. There is a big chance that they will refuse and ask you to apply next year.

8 hours ago, JennSed said:

I really screwed up. :(  I was applying to McMaster and Western. First, I knew the deadline was at 11:59 but I stupidly forgot about the time difference and Ontario is 3 hours ahead of BC. So I started scrambling with a loss of 3 hours I thought I had to polish my application. I finally finished writing my Letter of Intent for ORPAS (Western) about 10 mins before the deadline (I know, huge procrastination and I'm beating myself up for it now). When I originally wrote it, I thought it had to be maximum 3000 words and I was feeling pretty satisfied and proud of my 1400 word letter. When I went to paste it in ORPAS I realized I was 6400 characters over the limit and realized it said maximum 3000 CHARACTERS not words. So I started quickly scrambling to delete things but it was no use. It was impossible to go from 2 pages to 2 paragraphs with the few minutes I had left. So I decided to remove Western off my application completely and just apply to McMaster since they don't require a LOI. I went to go submit and it was too late. It was 11:59 exactly and applications had closed. 

Anyone with experience or similar situation know if I call ORPAS in the morning, if they ever make any exceptions? Is there any hope or possibility they will let me submit late?

I did about the same thing and didn't send my application on time. What you will need to do is contact the universities you want to go do and ask them if they can extend the deadline. If you call ORSAP they will tell you it's out of their hands and you need permission from the university. There is a big chance that they will refuse and ask you to apply next year because they're honest;y looking for any excuse to thin out the application pool.

9 hours ago, Speeeeechlife said:

I did about the same thing and didn't send my application on time. What you will need to do is contact the universities you want to go do and ask them if they can extend the deadline. If you call ORSAP they will tell you it's out of their hands and you need permission from the university. There is a big chance that they will refuse and ask you to apply next year because they're honest;y looking for any excuse to thin out the application pool.

Thanks for your input! I did end up contacting Western and they said they would grant me a late submission, I just needed to send my full name, email, ORPAS username and ID #? Anyone know where to find your ID # for ORPAS? I emailed back asking where to find that but haven’t gotten a reply yet.

22 hours ago, JennSed said:

Thanks for your input! I did end up contacting Western and they said they would grant me a late submission, I just needed to send my full name, email, ORPAS username and ID #? Anyone know where to find your ID # for ORPAS? I emailed back asking where to find that but haven’t gotten a reply yet.

You may have found this already, but on the ORPAS application portal sidebar, it should say OAUC reference number - I think this is the # they are looking for!

6 hours ago, tulipz said:

You may have found this already, but on the ORPAS application portal sidebar, it should say OAUC reference number - I think this is the # they are looking for!

Thank you!! This was before I had submitted my application so I didn't have a reference number because I think you only get one once you submit? Anyways it's all good now!

20 hours ago, GenerationSpeechie said:

Does anyone know when or how we are able to see our calculated sub-GPA?

In my email from ORPAS it says "Beginning in February, applicants will have access to their ORPAS GPA and sub-GPA calculations" :D I hope it's sooner in February rather than later, I'm really curious

Anyone know how I can access my Western email? I activated my Western Identity as it explained in the email I received with my ID number, and after all the setup process was done and I was assigned a Western email, it also said it sent an email to my new Western email address. I see that it is also listed in my information in my account and that all correspondence regarding an admission decision will be made through this. However, I tried to add this email account to my mail but unsure what the password would be? I tried the password I assigned to my Western account as well as my ID and nothing seems to work. Is there a different way to log in to my email or how do I check this email account? Thanks!

5 minutes ago, JennSed said:

Anyone know how I can access my Western email? I activated my Western Identity as it explained in the email I received with my ID number, and after all the setup process was done and I was assigned a Western email, it also said it sent an email to my new Western email address. I see that it is also listed in my information in my account and that all correspondence regarding an admission decision will be made through this. However, I tried to add this email account to my mail but unsure what the password would be? I tried the password I assigned to my Western account as well as my ID and nothing seems to work. Is there a different way to log in to my email or how do I check this email account? Thanks!

Nevermind, I guess I was just too eager and needed to wait a little bit for it all to be processed. Got it working now! :) 

Hello,

I have applied to the following colleges:

- University of Alberta (First Choice)- Found a potential Supervisor

- University of British Columbia

- McGill University - Found a potential Supervisor

- Western Ontario University

- University of Manitoba

- Dalhousie University

- University of Saskatchewan

-Laurier University

- Queens University - Found a supervisor

I honestly wanted to apply to just one but my parents wanted me to be on the safe side. So here I am lol. Good luck everyone!

6 hours ago, Findingapurpose said:

Hello,

- University of Manitoba

- Dalhousie University

-Laurier University

I honestly wanted to apply to just one but my parents wanted me to be on the safe side. So here I am lol. Good luck everyone!

It's good that you applied to so many! I was only able to apply to one, so it adds on stress on the chances of not getting in. I hope everything goes well, and you get into the school you want! :)

2 minutes ago, SpeechLP2020 said:

It's good that you applied to so many! I was only able to apply to one, so it adds on stress on the chances of not getting in. I hope everything goes well, and you get into the school you want! :)

I hope you will find  a way to cope with the stress! I honestly learned the hard way to stay relax at all time as it started to affect me physically. Thank you for you well wishes and I hope you will get in! I am rooting for you!

6 hours ago, Findingapurpose said:

Hello,

- University of Manitoba

- Dalhousie University

-Laurier University

Hi, how did you go about applying to Queen's? I thought they didn't have a Speech program!

57 minutes ago, LIVXO said:

Mine also shows a blank! I'm thinking now that the deadline is passed they are just starting to accumulate all of our documents, so hopefully it will show up as received in the coming weeks..?

I emailed the school, they said the GRE marks are on different files that they have not yet gone through 

Hi all, 

I applied to the UofA (in pre-screening process, took about 1 week after application to get into this step), McGill and Dalhousie  (which I applied to 1-2 weeks before the deadline).

I'm also applying to some schools in the UK to bump up my chances because I only have the prereqs for 3 Canadian schools. 

Super nervous because my GPA is kind of on the low end, especially because I feel like most schools dont even look at the other components of your application at first glance.  I feel like I have a variety of volunteer experiences but still dont know if that will make up for it, and I have worked in a linguistics lab as a research assistant for the past 6 months. 

This is my first year applying, and I am prepared for rejection (kind of) but still ahhh. 

For those of you who have applied earlier, have you heard anything?

4 hours ago, slpthings said:

Hi all, 

I applied to the UofA (in pre-screening process, took about 1 week after application to get into this step), McGill and Dalhousie  (which I applied to 1-2 weeks before the deadline).

I'm also applying to some schools in the UK to bump up my chances because I only have the prereqs for 3 Canadian schools. 

Super nervous because my GPA is kind of on the low end, especially because I feel like most schools dont even look at the other components of your application at first glance.  I feel like I have a variety of volunteer experiences but still dont know if that will make up for it, and I have worked in a linguistics lab as a research assistant for the past 6 months. 

This is my first year applying, and I am prepared for rejection (kind of) but still ahhh. 

For those of you who have applied earlier, have you heard anything?

Wow, I totally feel the same! It's also my first year applying (also applied to UofA)! 

I'm finding it hard not to compare my stats to other applicants, especially because there are some amazing students out there. 

Haven't gotten any yet but I'm hoping to get updates sooner rather than later. Good luck!!