2020 Canadian SLP Thread

On 2/20/2020 at 1:24 PM, SpeechPlease said:

It's like we're the same person! I am applying for the second time. Work as an ABA therapist, volunteer with slps and work as an SLP assistant, among other relevant volunteer experience with special needs populations. I have also been admitted to a masters to become a BCBA so this year I have a back up just in case :) 

OMG that's too funny, we're the same! Congrats on getting into a masters! I was actually thinking of doing my BCBA as a backup too, but I got into a CDA program that I think I'd like to pursue if I don't get into any masters.  How do you like working as an SLP assistant?   

On 1/24/2020 at 3:01 PM, EagerSpeechie2019 said:

Good luck to everyone! I was waitlisted at U of A last year and keeping my fingers crossed for this year 

Hey! I'm curious if you received a notification that you were waitlisted and when you found that out? Do they send out letters to everyone on the waitlist as soon as the quota is filled? I applied to U of A for the first time, but to be honest I have a feeling I'll be waitlisted too. I'm going a little crazy having to wait and not being able to plan out if I have to move to Edmonton or not! 

On 2/14/2020 at 3:56 PM, SpeechLP2020 said:

Does anyone by any chance know how many people apply to the UofA each year?

When I attended the admissions session at U of A's oasis conference this question was answered! Vicki said that typically there are 170 applicants each year. Someone also asked how many of those applications were serious. She seemed kinda hesitant to answer that so her answer might just be her own estimate, but she said about 90. 

Cheers

Edited by v.lee

7 hours ago, v.lee said:

Hey! I'm curious if you received a notification that you were waitlisted and when you found that out? Do they send out letters to everyone on the waitlist as soon as the quota is filled? I applied to U of A for the first time, but to be honest I have a feeling I'll be waitlisted too. I'm going a little crazy having to wait and not being able to plan out if I have to move to Edmonton or not! 

When I attended the admissions session at U of A's oasis conference this question was answered! Vicki said that typically there are 170 applicants each year. Someone also asked how many of those applications were serious. She seemed kinda hesitant to answer that so her answer might just be her own estimate, but she said about 90. 

Cheers

Thanks for the response! I was looking for the wait list date too. On previous forms, people found out they were waitlisted on March 28-29. I’m hoping we’ll find out soon because the wait is driving me crazy. 
Also, Maybe she hesitated because not many of the 170 meet the requirements? ? 

9 hours ago, MissSB said:

Hi everyone! I got an invite to the McMaster MMI as well. 

Just curious, does anyone know how many offers they send out each year?

According to the email it says that they interview approx 126 applicants and around 32 students are offered admission! 

On 2/23/2020 at 12:00 AM, v.lee said:

Cheers

Hey!

Sorry for the late reply. I received email notification that I had been placed on the waitlist on March 29th. Hope this helps! 

26 minutes ago, EagerSpeechie2019 said:

Just curious if anyone has reached out to U of A to see when they may start sending out acceptances? I'm thinking end of March but hoping for sooner. 

I haven't contacted them personally, but from other forums and previous years it appears as though the applications go "Under Review" in the beginning of March, and admission offers are sent out around March 24-28. 

50 minutes ago, Slpeechie said:

My U of A application says complete, but it says the due date is March 10, 2020. Does anyone know what this due date is for? I can't find anything on their website

I think you're checking bear tracks and not the GS portal? On my bear tracks my application also says complete, and I have a due date as well. However, on the website it says not to rely on bear tracks and to use the GS portal to track your application.

On 2/25/2020 at 1:28 PM, EagerSpeechie2019 said:

Just curious if anyone has reached out to U of A to see when they may start sending out acceptances? I'm thinking end of March but hoping for sooner. 

Yes I contacted them. They will start looking at the applications next week and then offers will be sent out by April 15th. They weren't sure about the exact timeline yet, so it could be sooner than that.

Edited by Slpeechie

30 minutes ago, Slpeechie said:

Yes I contacted them. They will start looking at the applications next week and then offers will be sent out by April 15th. They weren't sure about the exact timeline yet, so it could be sooner than that.

Thank you for sharing that! April 15th seems like forever but I'll survive haha 

This is sort of unrelated, but for the people applying the second/third time around could you let us know what you did to strengthen your application? I'm starting to doubt I'll get in the first time around, and so I was wondering what I need to be doing to improve my application. 

Also, does anyone know if it would negatively affect my application if I applied to another program too? 

Thanks in advance, 

34 minutes ago, SpeechLP2020 said:

This is sort of unrelated, but for the people applying the second/third time around could you let us know what you did to strengthen your application? I'm starting to doubt I'll get in the first time around, and so I was wondering what I need to be doing to improve my application. 

Also, does anyone know if it would negatively affect my application if I applied to another program too? 

Thanks in advance, 

They won't see you're applying to other programs.

This is my second year applying. I spent months working and volunteering with SLPs, I volunteered with special needs children, worked as an ABA therapist, I help in a non-profit organization that do weekend programs for parents with children with special needs.. I also had my honours thesis published in an academic journal. It has been a year from hell and I haven't stopped the entire time. Wanted to ensure that in my year off I gave 100%.

I was accepted to a different masters program. I will be making my decision after April 1st. Speech is my first priority.

49 minutes ago, SpeechLP2020 said:

Thanks in advance, 

This is also my second year applying! Last year I applied but I feel like it was a complete waste since I barely had the grades. Since then, I took some additional courses and also re-took some prereq courses. Like @SpeechPlease said above, I never stopped and I made sure I gave 100%. I also spent the year getting into research with neuro-imaging and schizophrenia (nothing related to speech really, but I took what I could get!). I also did more volunteering but made sure it was a variety - so I originally had experience with ASD/other development kiddos, but I expanded and ended up volunteering in feeding studies/videofluroscopy labs, a clinic for augmentative commmunication, private practise, and therapeutic swimming and equestrian camps along side an SLP, OT, and PT.

On another note, your application may be fantastic, but it mostly depends on the cohort of the year (how many people apply, their applications, etc). I know that we're all smart and we all deserve to get in, and it's frustrating when our application is amazing, but there's always going to be somebody out there who has a couple grades higher than us, or more experience.

Hope this helped!

40 minutes ago, SpeechPlease said:

They won't see you're applying to other programs.

This is my second year applying. I spent months working and volunteering with SLPs, I volunteered with special needs children, worked as an ABA therapist, I help in a non-profit organization that do weekend programs for parents with children with special needs.. I also had my honours thesis published in an academic journal. It has been a year from hell and I haven't stopped the entire time. Wanted to ensure that in my year off I gave 100%.

I was accepted to a different masters program. I will be making my decision after April 1st. Speech is my first priority.

Wow you've done so much! I was looking into a ABA therapy, but I wasn't sure how to do about this if I need to. I heard that it takes two years to get certified in ABA? Also, congratulations on your publication, and acceptance into another Masters program! I hope you get into speech!! :)