2020 Canadian SLP Thread

On 2/7/2020 at 1:03 AM, slpthings said:

My McGill application is in review! Does anyone know when ppl heard back from McGill last year?

Last year people posted in the SLP thread on here that they heard if they were accepted on March 13 and 14

14 minutes ago, speechy_123 said:

But there's also "overall GPA" at the top of the chart, which is a different number from average??

Average is usually the average of a semester. Like for me I had 22 classes but they need 20 for sub gpa so for two of the classes they were in a semester of 4 courses. So instead of randomly picking two classes from that, they took the average twice for me. 

does this make sense?

On 2/10/2020 at 10:53 AM, LIVXO said:

For my Dal online application the documents that I mailed (resume and information form) and my GRE score still have not been received according to the application summary. I read that it may take weeks for them to say "received" but I'm getting worried they just haven't gotten there. Are other people having the same issue? Thanks! :) 

On 2/11/2020 at 2:27 PM, hbgradschool said:

Hi! Mine also still don't say received, but I emailed them and they told me they would contact me if anything was missing. Hope that helps! 

Hi! I applied to Dal for MSW and I've been looking for someone in the same boat as me with their portal!!! I applied at the end of November and it still says they haven't received one of my references even though it was submitted (confirmed by the e-ref department)!!

Curious though- does your application say, "incomplete items outstanding", and decision, "written notification to follow"??

Thanks SLP friends & good luck!!! 

On 2/10/2020 at 10:53 AM, LIVXO said:

For my Dal online application the documents that I mailed (resume and information form) and my GRE score still have not been received according to the application summary. I read that it may take weeks for them to say "received" but I'm getting worried they just haven't gotten there. Are other people having the same issue? Thanks! :) 

Hey! I got an email the other day from the admin secretary at Dal letting me know that they have received everything and my application in out for review, and that the admissions portal should be updated! I went in to check today and it has been, so maybe they’re in the process of sending out those emails. Hope this helps! Good luck :) 

18 hours ago, jberma01 said:

Hi! I applied to Dal for MSW and I've been looking for someone in the same boat as me with their portal!!! I applied at the end of November and it still says they haven't received one of my references even though it was submitted (confirmed by the e-ref department)!!

Curious though- does your application say, "incomplete items outstanding", and decision, "written notification to follow"??

Thanks SLP friends & good luck!!! 

Hi!! Yes mine says exactly that, hopefully we get emails soon saying that everything has been received! Good luck to you too! :) 

14 hours ago, Mmg3618 said:

Hey! I got an email the other day from the admin secretary at Dal letting me know that they have received everything and my application in out for review, and that the admissions portal should be updated! I went in to check today and it has been, so maybe they’re in the process of sending out those emails. Hope this helps! Good luck :) 

That's super helpful thank you!! 

Hi all! 

I hope everyone is surviving this dreaded waiting game. I've applied to all Ontario schools as well as McGill. My cGPA is around 3.65 and I have a subGPA of around 3.5. I have around 35 hours of volunteer experience as a speech pathologists assistant, a handful of experience working with underprivileged Indigenous youth as a Youth Mentor, research experience in a Language and Brain Lab as an EEG study assistant, and 500 clinical work hours as a speech language assistant (supervised by a registered SLP). I have also worked with adults with various developmental delays as a community service worker and I am also fluent in American sign language. My letters of recommendation are strong but I think my letter of intent could have been better (but then again, dont we all). 

It's my first year applying and I am so SO nervous. I'm not sure I'm going to get into any school as I hear they are looking for a subGPA of around 3.8. I've also heard some people say that they focus a lot on being well rounded with good experience so hopefully my work and volunteer experience will be reflected more? I also heard that they can sometimes give you less priority if it's your first time applying? I have no idea where I stand in all this. Can anyone let me know if I have a decent chance? At this rate I would love some words of wisdom from like-minded people going through the same thing as me. 

I hope everyone is doing well and the waiting game isn't too TOO rough. Good luck everyone!!! 

Edited by nessot18

2 hours ago, SpeechPlease said:

Poll time!

Just wondering how many here are not applying for the first time? Interested to hear your experience! 

This is my second year applying.

This is my second year applying too! Since my last application I've gained experience working as an ABA therapist with children with autism, and I did some more volunteering with an SLP in a private clinic with children as well as in a senior's home. I'm really hoping this helps my application this year!

How about you? :) 

15 minutes ago, tazm said:

Has anyone got rejected from Mcmaster yet ?

They probably won't send actual rejections out until April but since I'm pretty sure they choose their class from the interview pool you should have some idea by then if you have a shot. I wasn't expecting MMI offers to go out so soon and seeing as I didn't get one I'm going to count it as a loss but hopefully they continue to send offers until that date.

48 minutes ago, GenerationSpeechie said:

Does anyone know the gpa cutoff for the Mcmaster interview? I didn't hear anything from them, so I'm going to say that I didn't make it lol. Or do you think they are still sending out interview invitations?

I don't know the gpa cut off, but I think you're still good! From what I've heard about previous years they send out interviews in waves. So, I wouldn't start to worry until it gets closer to the week of March 7th! :)

On 2/18/2020 at 7:49 PM, SLP4C said:

This is my second year applying too! Since my last application I've gained experience working as an ABA therapist with children with autism, and I did some more volunteering with an SLP in a private clinic with children as well as in a senior's home. I'm really hoping this helps my application this year!

How about you? :) 

It's like we're the same person! I am applying for the second time. Work as an ABA therapist, volunteer with slps and work as an SLP assistant, among other relevant volunteer experience with special needs populations. I have also been admitted to a masters to become a BCBA so this year I have a back up just in case :) 

48 minutes ago, LIVXO said:

I still haven't received an email confirmation that my documents have been received from Dal, is anyone still having the same issue? I'm wondering if I should email them to check!

I received mine tuesday,  so I think they are prob still going through the list. And if you do email them, they will prob just give you the blanket "we cant tell you about your application right now etc". 

On 2/19/2020 at 3:42 PM, danielaspeechSLP said:

Hey everyone! 

Just got waitlisted for an MMI interview at McMasters. Does anyone know how common it is to actually get a interview off the waitlist? In past years have people who got interviews actually cancelled?  Please let me know!! 

I've also been waitlisted and when I emailed inquiring about this I was told that they have invited approximately 20 people off the waitlist in the past few years... Hope this helps!

13 hours ago, LIVXO said:

I still haven't received an email confirmation that my documents have been received from Dal, is anyone still having the same issue? I'm wondering if I should email them to check!

Hi there,

I would not worry about this too much. I emailed once right after Christmas because the page was not updated and they said it could take 6-8 weeks. In later January I checked again, and some of my files were updated and showing as "received" but others (sent at the same time) were not. I emailed about this and they said it just takes time and things aren't updated regularly, I don't think it is their top priority. But, they did confirm that they had the files I was concerned about. 

I emailed scsd@dal.ca if you want to double check! But I wouldn't worry!