2020 Canadian SLP Thread

On 3/19/2020 at 5:27 PM, DreamingofSpeech said:

From what I remember reading on their website, they say there's actually little opportunity within Quebec and Ontario for McGill student placements and they encourage you to venture out into other provinces, especially more rural areas. I would definitely look more into it, this is just what I remember reading when I was curious about the same thing. I definitely don't think not being bilingual will be a disadvantage to you, it's pretty likely that several people in your class won't be.

Thanks for your response! I did have the opportunity to talk to someone in the SLP program at McGill, and she figured only about a third of her class was bilingual, so I'm sure there are still plenty of options for non-french speaking students. 

On 3/21/2020 at 8:31 AM, tulipz said:

Hi Kira! From what I can tell from the website and from the McGill SLP alumni I've spoken with, bilingual students have an increased opportunity to have practicum in the health care settings in the internal placements during the fall and winter semesters. And then for the summer placements, if you're willing to leave Montreal to complete them (which I think a lot of non-Quebecois students do), you shouldn't have trouble getting a placement in your area of choice :) 

[and PS I am in your boat, too. Lots of French Immersion experience but definitely not comfortable enough for fast-paced placement talk in a hospital lol]

Hey! It sounds like your information is pretty accurate. I spoke to a current SLP student at McGill and she said majority of her class isn't bilingual, so there will be a lot of people in the same boat! It seems like a lot of the summer placements are out of province even for french-speaking students. 

Just a general question for everyone out there... What is your school of choice and why? I know for a lot of us location plays a big role, but I was wondering more in terms of the program content and delivery.

Location is not a big factor for me but theres nothing that particularly sticks out at the schools I applied to. For reference I applied to McMaster, Toronto, Western and McGill. As of right now I'm leaning towards Mac because PBL seems really cool, but I don't think I did too well on the MMIs, lol. I know acceptances havent even come out yet but I'm stressing like crazy!

On 3/21/2020 at 1:24 AM, soontobslp said:

Hey! Not to get anyones hopes up but I know If I get into Western or UofT (I find out April 1) I will be declining my offer to Alberta that day! Ill keep you guys updated good luck to everyone I know this wait is hard but we will make it were almost there!

Just curious as to why you would create U of A's facebook group if you haven't accepted the offer and have the intention of possibly rejecting it? I assumed it was a private group because it's only for people who have accepted their offer and are actually serious about being in the program

Edited by CSD

@CSD I'm not the person you replied to, but I joined the U of A group without knowing whether or not I'll accept the offer, as well. I don't think it's a matter of seriousness towards the program's offer; I think it's a nice way to get to know (potential) classmates and have the opportunity to chat a bit about the school/city, which for me is helpful in making my decision :) I'll be sure when I make my decision to remove myself from whatever school groups that I won't be attending! All the best!

@CSD I also thought the Facebook groups were for students who’ve already accepted their offers. I personally will not join a group until I accept an offer, but if joining a group helps someone else make their decision, then that’s okay too :) 

On 3/23/2020 at 1:21 PM, s.slp said:

Is there a Facebook group for people planning to attend UofA yet? I wasn't able to find one when I searched but I might just be getting the name wrong. Thanks!

Yes! its called UofA SLP Class of 2022 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/204979737383586/ 

On 3/19/2020 at 2:35 PM, CSD said:

Does anyone know how we're supposed to submit our Indigenous Canada certificate for U of A?

If you find out let me know too please!!

On 3/19/2020 at 3:35 PM, CSD said:

Does anyone know how we're supposed to submit our Indigenous Canada certificate for U of A?

21 minutes ago, JennSed said:

If you find out let me know too please!!

I would send an email to Vicki and attach the certificate. She'll be the best person to ask. 

10 minutes ago, nigellovesslp said:

How do you know midnight? I also thought it was during work hours

They've always done it at midnight (Eastern Time) in past years.