MFA 2020 Freak Out Forum

hinata

9 hours ago, sfhwol said:

What have been people's experience with the Goldsmiths interview? What type of questions did they ask? 

Hi congrats on the interview! When I interviewed there last year (for MA fine art), they picked out a work and asked me to explain it, also asked typical questions like what artist do you look at. They may also ask a little bit about your background if you are an international student. Good luck!!

1 hour ago, hinata said:

anyone speak to faculty about what the potential outcome of first year MFA will be with the COVID - 19 coming into play?

I'm supposed to visit a school on April 3rd for their open house, but the schools website said all events are cancelled or postponed for 30 days. I haven't received any word from faculty even though they know I am suppose to come visit. I'm sure it's really hectic right now for them and i'm the potential grad are last thought at the moment.

I've been thinking about what if next academic year is postponed due to the pandemic.

Hello, yeah i have similar concerns, but from what has happened in China, where all classes have been taken online, and many other schools in the US have also changed to remote classes, so I think there will be online classes for a while in the fall if it continues. 

10 minutes ago, xzg said:

Hello, yeah i have similar concerns, but from what has happened in China, where all classes have been taken online, and many other schools in the US have also changed to remote classes, so I think there will be online classes for a while in the fall if it continues. 

I'm a teacher, and currently in Japan the schools have been flat out canceled, at least from elem - HS, universities seem to be cancelling all extracurricular activity as well as doing more work-from-home stuff. That's all fine and good for some departments, but art? Yikes. 

Maybe it'll be like a low-res for awhile...? Honestly, it's my hope that it'll clear up before then. 

Edited by aniben3

i didn't consider that the next academic year could be cancelled/online... it seems like in china, the outbreak peaked after about a month and a half/two months and now appears to be leveling off. if it's the same in other countries i don't think the fall academic year should be affected, but i suppose that depends on how different countries handle the situation and whether the cases will follow a similar timeline as china...

2 minutes ago, janelane2 said:

i didn't consider that the next academic year could be cancelled/online... it seems like in china, the outbreak peaked after about a month and a half/two months and now appears to be leveling off. if it's the same in other countries i don't think the fall academic year should be affected, but i suppose that depends on how different countries handle the situation and whether the cases will follow a similar timeline as china...

Agreed. If it continues into the fall, then something has really gone wrong and we'll have other things to worry about rather than school haha 

7 hours ago, outer_space said:

Anyone here dealing with a waitlist situation? What do you all think the chances are of getting into a program from a waitlist, esp when the the cohort is so small, like five/six people? How are you all dealing with the L I M B O feeling?! 

I have dealt with being wait-listed the last couple of years. If it's coming from a program selecting few candidates and they happend to offer funding/stipends, the chances are probably slim but not impossible. If anything, the way I see it is that there is hope in knowing you applied to MFA programs and they see potential in your application/portfolio in comparison to a complete rejection. You can always apply again and perhaps you can get an interview again. It is pretty frustrating to be in that position, I know how that is, especially when you put in so much labor into the applications. Sometimes, waiting for the next year isn't a bad thing because you would have time to research other programs that fit with your work and/or focus on your practice, apply/completing residencies, etc., making you more prepared then previous year. I would definitely say focus on yourself, your practice, see art shows/museums, take a short break, hang out with family/friends, travel (maybe mini road trips for now), and read books so you don't feel discouraged and can move on forward. ?

Has anyone heard anything from UCLA art/Photography? Or ArtCenter? I haven't heard anything since my very awkward skype interview with ArtCenter two weeks ago ?

20 hours ago, outer_space said:

Anyone here dealing with a waitlist situation? What do you all think the chances are of getting into a program from a waitlist, esp when the the cohort is so small, like five/six people? How are you all dealing with the L I M B O feeling?! 

I'm currently on a waitlist where they accept 5 people per year. They recently contacted me saying I am high on the list.

12 minutes ago, tintoretto said:

has anyone heard anything from Columbia visual arts after the call acception? 

did you get an acceptance call after the interview? some of us have been waiting post-interview but we haven't heard anything. 

6 minutes ago, tintoretto said:

yes, and they said the office will email me this week, but nothing yet. 

When did you get your call/when did they tell you they'd email you this week? I interviewed on a Friday afternoon, but on Saturday Columbia shut down because of COVID-19. I had occasion to speak to the person who runs the darkroom, and she intimated that everything is backed up as they deal with setting up remote classes, etc. I'm not personally expecting to get accepted, since I didn't think my interview went all that well, but I imagine things are chaotic over there--and I have no idea whatsoever how they're teaching visual arts classes remotely. 

Just now, paul123 said:

When did you get your call/when did they tell you they'd email you this week? I interviewed on a Friday afternoon, but on Saturday Columbia shut down because of COVID-19. I had occasion to speak to the person who runs the darkroom, and she intimated that everything is backed up as they deal with setting up remote classes, etc. I'm not personally expecting to get accepted, since I didn't think my interview went all that well, but I imagine things are chaotic over there--and I have no idea whatsoever how they're teaching visual arts classes remotely. 

they called me on Friday, thank you for the information! I guess i have to wait. 

21 minutes ago, tintoretto said:

yes, and they said the office will email me this week, but nothing yet. 

congratulations! may I ask what discipline?

9 minutes ago, paul123 said:

Yeah I've been wondering about this - I got a few hits on my website from New York earlier in the week which made me wonder if they were deliberating... Hoping... I do want to know soon. 

14 hours ago, SeriouslyStellar said:

I have dealt with being wait-listed the last couple of years. If it's coming from a program selecting few candidates and they happend to offer funding/stipends, the chances are probably slim but not impossible. If anything, the way I see it is that there is hope in knowing you applied to MFA programs and they see potential in your application/portfolio in comparison to a complete rejection. You can always apply again and perhaps you can get an interview again. It is pretty frustrating to be in that position, I know how that is, especially when you put in so much labor into the applications. Sometimes, waiting for the next year isn't a bad thing because you would have time to research other programs that fit with your work and/or focus on your practice, apply/completing residencies, etc., making you more prepared then previous year. I would definitely say focus on yourself, your practice, see art shows/museums, take a short break, hang out with family/friends, travel (maybe mini road trips for now), and read books so you don't feel discouraged and can move on forward. ?

Thank you for your generous thoughts and suggestions! Yes, it's coming from a funded/stipended program, making it less likely that folks would reject the offer and thus make room for me. I did also get an offer from another funded program, but this waitlisted place is my top choice. I'm def going to just get back to my practice for now as I wait it out, and focus on the holistic things you mention! Hope you have a positive outcome with your own waitlist situation ?

I just called UCLA Art Division, (1:50pm, California time), and asked if there will be a delay on decisions regarding graduate admissions due to COVID-19. The woman told me, "No, there will be no delay. Final admissions decisions will be sent out mid-March, as planned."

I also called USC/Roski, and they also said that decisions are rolling and going on as planned. However, USC did not specify any general Graduate decision time frame, as the decisions are handled by the department alone.

I've only heard of like one person getting into UCLA, and nothing about anyone getting into USC/Roski, at all.

Overall, I'm not trippin too hard. I'm just an older student, and would like a "yay" or "nay" ASAP because I would have to move family members to another part of California, and I have this job offer at the same time up in Sacramento, but I've also been offered tuition for a teaching credential program.

Let's go.

1 hour ago, outer_space said:

Thank you for your generous thoughts and suggestions! Yes, it's coming from a funded/stipended program, making it less likely that folks would reject the offer and thus make room for me. I did also get an offer from another funded program, but this waitlisted place is my top choice. I'm def going to just get back to my practice for now as I wait it out, and focus on the holistic things you mention! Hope you have a positive outcome with your own waitlist situation ?

May I ask which school? I am also waitlisted on a funded school! 

2 minutes ago, outer_space said:

That's great! Best of luck to you—fingers crossed! 

Which fully funded schools did you apply to if you don't mind me asking? I applied to two; interviewed with one and haven't heard anything back yet and interviewed with the other and was waitlisted! I'm wondering if we applied to the same schools! :)