MFA 2020 Freak Out Forum

hinata

On 3/11/2020 at 9:39 PM, Corinneb said:

Hi! I am new to the forum- 

has anyone at all heard from UCLA painting?

also- I interviewed at Purchase last Sunday, has anyone heard acceptances yet?

thank you!!!

I got accepted to Purchase through a phone call from Faye, the director of the MFA on the friday after that interview sunday. 

updates:

2020 MFA: Printmaking

Received an offer letter(online portal) from RISD yesterday.

Received an offer letter(via email) from Pratt this morning.

Did not heard anything back from Columbia ever since I submitted my application.

good luck everyone and stay safe!

Hey! I just found this blog (I wish I had found it sooner). Anyway, I got admitted into SAIC, Rutgers, Kansas U, Iowa and I was waitlisted on UChicago, the only school I haven’t heard back is from SFAI.

I’m still unsure about my final decision. 
Have a great weekend

Does anyone have experience asking the fa office for more funding or have any suggestions on how to negotiate with them? I’m not really satisfied with the funding package I receive right now but I’m not sure how to talk to them 

1 hour ago, Cliiii said:

Hey! I just found this blog (I wish I had found it sooner). Anyway, I got admitted into SAIC, Rutgers, Kansas U, Iowa and I was waitlisted on UChicago, the only school I haven’t heard back is from SFAI.

I’m still unsure about my final decision. 
Have a great weekend

What department for Iowa? When did you hear? 

1 hour ago, MYJ2020 said:

Does anyone have experience asking the fa office for more funding or have any suggestions on how to negotiate with them? I’m not really satisfied with the funding package I receive right now but I’m not sure how to talk to them 

It depends on the school, but I would say approach it with confidence! You are a candidate that they want and you should assert yourself respectfully. Say you really want to matriculate, and that finances aren't the only factor in a decision, but increasing your award would really enable you to attend that specific institution, your top choice. Offer any documentation of other offers if you have them. If not, address how alleviating your financial burden might make it possible for you/help you excel in the program.

I hope this helps. 

5 hours ago, anxiouslywaiting0000 said:

Has anyone heard from Arizona State University or the University of Washington Seattle? for painting? I interviewed a long time ago and haven't heard anything else from them! Just got a rejection from Tulane. 

I also interviewed with University of Seattle back on Feb 7th, still haven't heard anything :( Assuming that this Covid stuff might delay responses considering the whole campus is closed currently. Fingers crossed we hear soon! Good luck! 

2 hours ago, Cliiii said:

Integrated visual arts, about 3 weeks ago

Ohhh, at Iowa state? Thought you were talking about university of Iowa and got a little worried that I hadn't hear anything, haha 
Thanks! Congrats on your acceptances! 

I'm late to the game, but I was ultimately accepted into the following programs: (RISD painting, SAIC painting, SAIC Sculpture, WashU fine arts). I'm heavily leaning towards RISD painting, however I'm having doubts. I've noticed a lot of people here applying to very different schools than I did (places like UMich, Goldsmiths, Tulane, Hunter, state programs, etc) and I was curious what people thought of my options.

I certainly know places like RISD have good reputations, but are these programs all that or do their high costs keep away the best artists? I'm very fortunately in a position to attend my accepted programs and graduate with very limited to no debt. I apologize if my concerns sound silly or if the answers seem obvious to you but I am genuinely anxious about this.

Congratulations to everyone on their results! This whole process has been miserable, but at the end of the day I know that making great art is worth all this trouble.

Edited by Bokonon

Real quick-- as something we can all do to help each other out with the decision process, as we're hearing back from multiple schools, try and keep your name on as little as possible. 

What I mean by that is that some of us have been accepted to multiple programs, and in some cases there's no way to tell which is the best fit and make a decisions. But in a lot of others if you can narrow it down from 5 to 3 or even down to 4, that frees up room for other applicants to know and start making decisions. So as soon as you know if something isn't a good fit, let the office know to take your name off the list and focus on the other schools you still have. 

On 3/11/2020 at 7:38 PM, hinata said:

anyone speak to faculty about what the potential outcome of first year MFA will be with the COVID - 19 coming into play?

I'm supposed to visit a school on April 3rd for their open house, but the schools website said all events are cancelled or postponed for 30 days. I haven't received any word from faculty even though they know I am suppose to come visit. I'm sure it's really hectic right now for them and i'm the potential grad are last thought at the moment.

I've been thinking about what if next academic year is postponed due to the pandemic.

I visited a school last week during all the chaos. While I was there they decided to close down schools. It sucked I didn't get to sit in on classes, but I do feel as though I was able to see the rest of the school because people were still around. 

I think my suggestion would be to ask how that school is dealing with it. I visited Tyler which is a two year MFA and all of the grad students were essentially kicked out of their studios for the rest of the semester. Therefore making it a 3 semester program. 

I agree that I don't believe this should affect decision times or next years program, but if you're at all paying for school and they shut it down during, I would have a hard time justifying going. 

42 minutes ago, Bokonon said:

I'm late to the game, but I was ultimately accepted into the following programs: (RISD painting, SAIC painting, SAIC Sculpture, WashU fine arts). I'm heavily leaning towards RISD painting, however I'm having doubts.

Hey congratulations on your acceptances! when and how did you hear from SAIC sculpture if you don’t mind me asking?

Hey everyone I just checked this UCLA decision portal:

http://appstatus.grad.ucla.edu/Account/AppStatus.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2FSecure%2FAdmissionStatus.aspx

had to press the "Retrieve" button to get a password (wasn't a password that I ever set) 

Once I got in there was a decision letter available.

Sadly I was rejected :( from the painting department. sigghhhhh

At least I know though. Good luck everyone! 

1 hour ago, Bokonon said:

I'm late to the game, but I was ultimately accepted into the following programs: (RISD painting, SAIC painting, SAIC Sculpture, WashU fine arts). I'm heavily leaning towards RISD painting, however I'm having doubts. I've noticed a lot of people here applying to very different schools than I did (places like UMich, Goldsmiths, Tulane, Hunter, state programs, etc) and I was curious what people thought of my options.

I certainly know places like RISD have good reputations, but are these programs all that or do their high costs keep away the best artists? I'm very fortunately in a position to attend my accepted programs and graduate with very limited to no debt. I apologize if my concerns sound silly or if the answers seem obvious to you but I am genuinely anxious about this.

Congratulations to everyone on their results! This whole process has been miserable, but at the end of the day I know that making great art is worth all this trouble.

I attended RISD painting for undergrad. Most faculty members are PHENOMENAL! I also have several experience with former grad student painters, since they were often my TA's. I'm happy to answer any department specific questions if you have any. I do know, however, that RISD does not allow painting alums to apply to their graduate department. I will say, though, I am still paying loans for the school. 

Congrats on your acceptances! For me, the low chance of getting good funding from these programs (and private art schools in general) discourages me from applying to most of them. I'd rather not pay for MFA. I don't feel qualified to answer whether these programs are worth their money, which seems to be what you're asking? I think it may be best to ask your mentors, be it your undergrad faculty, or just artists at an later stage of their career. 

If money isn't an issue for you though, perhaps focus on what kind of program may produce the best outcome for you? That would depend on what you want to do. From what I've been told, there are certain programs that are more academic than others, and certain programs that are more about the gallery scene, etc.

I want to eventually teach at a college level, and so I applied to programs that (mostly) are academic and/or are designed in such a way as to maximize academic placement.

Edited by MIQI
edited to add the last two paragraphs

I've also been accepted to RISD with a generous funding package, but would still end up being 25k in student loans to cover living expenses the uncovered tuition for the two year program. I was also accepted to a state school with full funding and a TAship that would provide at least $1800/month in a living stipend (and healthcare!). As someone who already has debt from undergrad and no real financial safety net. I will most likely choose the state school even though I like RISD's program better. The reality of money as an artist is very real to me and while I have no problem living on the cheap....I know that my time at RISD would be stressful because of the added debt and would make transition after grad school even harder.  

Just my two thoughts. I think RISD is a wonderful program but my biggest concern is the bubble of wealth it creates. I also am interested in teaching and thus going to an R1 state school is a great option. 

48 minutes ago, campbellcolorado said:

I've also been accepted to RISD with a generous funding package, but would still end up being 25k in student loans to cover living expenses the uncovered tuition for the two year program. I was also accepted to a state school with full funding and a TAship that would provide at least $1800/month in a living stipend (and healthcare!). As someone who already has debt from undergrad and no real financial safety net. I will most likely choose the state school even though I like RISD's program better. The reality of money as an artist is very real to me and while I have no problem living on the cheap....I know that my time at RISD would be stressful because of the added debt and would make transition after grad school even harder.  

Just my two thoughts. I think RISD is a wonderful program but my biggest concern is the bubble of wealth it creates. I also am interested in teaching and thus going to an R1 state school is a great option. 

Free tuition, a stipend, and teaching experience is a great way to go. The only reason I might consider otherwise is if there are faculty members that I really wanted to work with. I feel like I lucked out though and ended up with excellent advisors, but that is not always the case. Not to mention successful advisors may need to go on sabbatical/leave to work on shows, leaving you with someone else who may not be as helpful. 

3 hours ago, Ashley_567 said:

Hey everyone I just checked this UCLA decision portal:

http://appstatus.grad.ucla.edu/Account/AppStatus.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2FSecure%2FAdmissionStatus.aspx

had to press the "Retrieve" button to get a password (wasn't a password that I ever set) 

Once I got in there was a decision letter available.

Sadly I was rejected :( from the painting department. sigghhhhh

At least I know though. Good luck everyone! 

TY. I was also rejected but good to know

Also got rejected from UCLA... out of the six painting programs I applied to, RISD is the only one I got accepted into. And i only applied there hoping I would be one of the lucky candidates nominated for a full-ride scholarship this year, which apparently painting people are not eligible for. So unfortunately, I probably won't end up going, which may seem ridiculous to some, but I personally cannot justify spending that amount of money to go back to school. I went into this process telling myself I would only go to grad school if it didn't cost me anything. I recently had my undergrad student loans permanently discharged, due to me being disabled, and taking on student debt again just isn't an option.  

That being said, I feel pretty beaten down and burnt out after all of this. People keep saying "there's always next year" but that's not reassuring enough. I feel like I did my research and applied to all the schools that felt like good fits, and that I really wanted to go to. I can't imagine what a "next year" even looks like in terms of having to reapply. Then again, I also can't fathom staying where I am one more year without completely losing my sanity. 

Not sure where I'm going with this. If anyone has any insight, advice, or thoughts in general to share, that would be great. 

Congrats to all