Fall 2020 Applications

amylynn

Has anyone heard from Stanford Anthropology? They have such an early due date and schools later than them are turning out responses (interviews, even acceptances already). 

On 1/18/2020 at 3:24 PM, masthana said:

Uff first rejection - UCSD. Disappointed but 9 left to go...

I also got my first rejection (11 programs I applied to) from UCSD. It was in my top 3 and I am heartbroken. I feel your pain

12 hours ago, tofutofu said:

I didn't apply there but seeing that Brown graveyard in the results today is stressing me out

Seriously. Everyone in one fell swoop.

The Berkeley rejections are also like that...I was one of the 3 Medical Anthro rejections who got a slightly earlier notification compared to the huge number of sociocultural rejections today.

Hold on everybody...I feel like the D-Day for similarly competitive and popular programs like UCLA and Stanford will be just as brutal...

Should I expect a rejection if I haven't received interview invitation from Harvard at this stage? There is one acceptance on the result page. I applied social anthropology

Edited by jumm

On 1/31/2020 at 8:38 AM, jumm said:

Should I expect a rejection if I haven't received interview invitation from Harvard at this stage? There is one acceptance on the result page. I applied social anthropology

I'm also curious... Apparently, last year results got out by mid february

Did anyone here apply to University of Chicago? How did you handle the 2500 word limit for the SOP when literally every other school asked for approximately 1200 words or less? Did you submit your 1000 word statements or did you lengthen it to meet 2000 words?

1 hour ago, tainapósmodern said:

Why news from UC Santa Cruz ?

UCSC did interviews in January and said their decisions would come early or mid Feb.

1 minute ago, gls2814 said:

Did anyone here apply to University of Chicago? How did you handle the 2500 word limit for the SOP when literally every other school asked for approximately 1200 words or less? Did you submit your 1000 word statements or did you lengthen it to meet 2000 words?

I added a bit to mine so that it was 1300-ish, using a few things from the schools that had asked for a separate personal statement. But I didn't get an interview with them so that doesn't mean much.

1 minute ago, tofutofu said:

UCSC did interviews in January and said their decisions would come early or mid Feb.

I added a bit to mine so that it was 1300-ish, using a few things from the schools that had asked for a separate personal statement. But I didn't get an interview with them so that doesn't mean much.

Same. Mine ended up being 1200 words. I originally felt like Chicago was a stretch for me so I didn't feel like it was even worth extending because I know there's no chance. Are they doing interviews right now? I didn't see a lot for Chicago Anthropology on the results page. 

1 minute ago, gls2814 said:

Same. Mine ended up being 1200 words. I originally felt like Chicago was a stretch for me so I didn't feel like it was even worth extending because I know there's no chance. Are they doing interviews right now? I didn't see a lot for Chicago Anthropology on the results page. 

There are a few results suggesting they held interviews on the 29th/31st.

To be honest I applied because I felt like I had to but I didn't really want to go there. It's a scary place.

1 minute ago, tofutofu said:

There are a few results suggesting they held interviews on the 29th/31st.

To be honest I applied because I felt like I had to but I didn't really want to go there. It's a scary place.

For sure. I actually felt the same way. I haven't heard a lot of positive experiences out of UChicago; it has a reputation of being tough not only academically but socially as well. I've had a few professors who went there and from the way they spoke and me reading between the lines, Chicago just seems...rough. But one of my recommenders said I couldn't not apply there for Anthropology just because it's the best of the best. 

5 hours ago, gls2814 said:

For sure. I actually felt the same way. I haven't heard a lot of positive experiences out of UChicago; it has a reputation of being tough not only academically but socially as well. I've had a few professors who went there and from the way they spoke and me reading between the lines, Chicago just seems...rough. But one of my recommenders said I couldn't not apply there for Anthropology just because it's the best of the best. 

For what it's worth, I think they're starting to shift more and more away from all this. Which isn't to say that they're easing up on their rigor, but I did their MA program last year and my interactions with the faculty, especially the younger ones, weren't all that bad and I did feel like I had a lot of support from my advisor.

Also, just FYI! In my interview with them, they mentioned wrapping up interviews last week. I think they're looking to release the results sometime this week or next (but don't quote me on this!). Based on some of the info from previous years though, I feel like we should be hearing back from most programs in general these next few weeks, which...eek. 

29 minutes ago, mayari said:

For what it's worth, I think they're starting to shift more and more away from all this. Which isn't to say that they're easing up on their rigor, but I did their MA program last year and my interactions with the faculty, especially the younger ones, weren't all that bad and I did feel like I had a lot of support from my advisor.

Also, just FYI! In my interview with them, they mentioned wrapping up interviews last week. I think they're looking to release the results sometime this week or next (but don't quote me on this!). Based on some of the info from previous years though, I feel like we should be hearing back from most programs in general these next few weeks, which...eek. 

Congrats on the interview!!! Thanks for the info! I was reading one professor's experience on Reddit and she maintained that they were pretty brutal but hopefully that's changing. 

I'm 100% I'm not getting in to Chicago. It was definitely a reach for me

1 hour ago, UgnaHav2krythatw8 said:

I heard back from Northwestern POI for weekend visit at the end of Feb. Biocultural/ medical anth focus. 

Oh wow! Congrats!! I hadn't heard of any weekend visits for my Anthro programs thus far.

When did you receive it? And did they give you any more info like if you're on the official shortlist?