Fall 2020 Applications

amylynn

On 12/22/2019 at 10:33 AM, marvel2375 said:

You should be fine!

I am also losing my mind over these applications. I applied to nine schools, received one rejection today and can't help but obsess over what I might have been able to do better. Should I have been in more contact with POIs and current grad students? Should I have been more specific in my proposed areas of research? Am I waiting for something that is completely out of reach? Can't wait to hear back from all of them. What a grueling process this is! 

To the poster on the Results Board who asked about if UCLA Anthro does interviews - 

I don't know with any certainty if they do interviews but some searching on the Results shows no interviews and only acceptions/rejections in mid-Feb for the past few years.

Just checked the results page and it seems like a couple of people have gotten interview invites for UC Berkeley. It seems like last year they sent out interview invites over a couple of days do you think it would hold true for this year?

3 hours ago, olaf75 said:

Just checked the results page and it seems like a couple of people have gotten interview invites for UC Berkeley. It seems like last year they sent out interview invites over a couple of days do you think it would hold true for this year?

I hope so LOL.

18 hours ago, olaf75 said:

I was interviewed by Berkeley last year but sadly didn’t get in. Based on my last year’s experience, they sent out interview invitations in two days - mine was received at 12:40 a.m. pst, so 9:40 p.m. est. Don’t want to say this, but if you still haven’t heard anything from them, it may be a bad news... Hope this helps.

9 hours ago, SmauelJ said:

I was interviewed by Berkeley last year but sadly didn’t get in. Based on my last year’s experience, they sent out interview invitations in two days - mine was received at 12:40 a.m. pst, so 9:40 p.m. est. Don’t want to say this, but if you still haven’t heard anything from them, it may be a bad news... Hope this helps.

That what I was thinking... But I'm not to bummed out it was a reach for me anyways.

On 1/20/2020 at 1:10 PM, RookHavoc said:

I was wondering about the University of Michigan interview posts on the results board. Two posters said that they were the third interviews in a series. What does this mean?

I've been wondering about this too. I applied for archaeology, though, and am hoping it's just the sociocultural people that have to interview. It seems like maybe they aren't doing a series of interviews, but that people whose applications made it through two rounds of review got interviews. Not sure, though.

11 hours ago, 0102030405 said:

Is the person that got an interview for Irvine Anthropology on here and able to give any more information? Was it a POI the email came from? What did it say? 

That was me! Email came from the Graduate Admissions Director inviting me to a weekend visit and interview. Hope this helps!

Hey everyone, 

Did anyone hear any news from Yale Anthropology? 

I have read throughout the past forums that the department make an interview round. Does that mean that if I did not get an invitation I was rejected, or interviews are made only for 'pending' applicants? 

Thanks! and good luck to us all

1 hour ago, YS90 said:

Hey everyone, 

Did anyone hear any news from Yale Anthropology? 

I have read throughout the past forums that the department make an interview round. Does that mean that if I did not get an invitation I was rejected, or interviews are made only for 'pending' applicants? 

Thanks! and good luck to us all

I think somebody just posted the interview invitation from Yale. I applied to Yale too (anthro + F&ES) but I haven’t heard anything. I’m starting to get a little anxious..!

1 hour ago, Waltzfordebby said:

I think somebody just posted the interview invitation from Yale. I applied to Yale too (anthro + F&ES) but I haven’t heard anything. I’m starting to get a little anxious..!

Thanks. I can see it now on the results page. I feel your growing anxiety! Let's hope they will send it in the next few days...! The question is, should we be worried if we haven't got an interview invitation? Is it possible that one is considered 'exceptional' and therefore will not be interviewed before admission?

Is the person who posted their interview for sociocultural anthropology at University of Arizona on the results page on here by any chance? My POI reached out to me as well on Jan 17 via e-mail and asked for a Skype conversation on Jan 21.

Skype went well. POI asked questions about my research experience and specifics about my dissertation idea. POI said they would reach out to me personally to let me know the results and I would receive an official notification from the department in the next few weeks. UA is my #1 choice so I’m hoping I get in!

On 1/25/2020 at 11:01 PM, anthgrad10 said:

Is the person who posted their interview for sociocultural anthropology at University of Arizona on the results page on here by any chance? My POI reached out to me as well on Jan 17 via e-mail and asked for a Skype conversation on Jan 21.

Skype went well. POI asked questions about my research experience and specifics about my dissertation idea. POI said they would reach out to me personally to let me know the results and I would receive an official notification from the department in the next few weeks. UA is my #1 choice so I’m hoping I get in!

Congrats! ?

I also got interview invitation from UA. In fact I had two different interviews with POIs and one of them was this morning. First one lasted for 20 mins, and second one over an hour. (They didn't say it was "interview" but "conversation" though...) Today I was asked to ask her questions and she said she wanted to give information as much as she can to help me make "big decision." I'd like to hear how your interview went, and I hope the best for both of us!

17 hours ago, anthro_anon said:

Does anyone know if UPenn anthro interviews all eventual admits, or does that depend on the POIs? Curious if maybe that ship has already sailed after seeing a couple of interview notifications on the results page. 

I got accepted at Penn last year and I believe all of the people who are eventually accepted get interviewed. However, each individual POI sets up the interviews and some take more time to do it than others. We just started the second semester here, so I'd give it more time before assuming it's a no. My DMs are open if you want to ask more specifically about Penn or your application.

1 hour ago, Waltzfordebby said:

Congrats! ?

I also got interview invitation from UA. In fact I had two different interviews with POIs and one of them was this morning. First one lasted for 20 mins, and second one over an hour. (They didn't say it was "interview" but "conversation" though...) Today I was asked to ask her questions and she said she wanted to give information as much as she can to help me make "big decision." I'd like to hear how your interview went, and I hope the best for both of us!

Congrats to you as well! Just messaged you ?

6 hours ago, masthana said:

I see a Berkeley acceptance! Congrats. 

Does anyone know if the Berkeley interviews/decisions are still continuing? 

It looks like there was a narrow spread of acceptance dates last year, but it anyway seems like there should be at least a couple more posters on the results board doesn’t it? Did you apply to the sociocultural track?