Fall 2020 Applications

amylynn

Hi all! I thought I’d get one of these started for the next application round. It was really helpful when I was applying to MA programs a few years ago.

I’m applying to PhD programs. I’m bioarch and my thesis research has been focusing on the use of photogrammetry in biodistance research. Regionally I’m looking programs that work in Central and South America. 

I don’t have all that many programs on my list right now as it seems everyone I’ve emailed isn’t taking students so any suggestions would be really helpful!

Thank you for starting this thread!

I will check in because I have benefited so much from the threads made in previous years. First time PhD applicant. Applying to four PhD programs in social / socio-cultural anthropology, and one program in medical anthropology. Here to commiserate and offer support!

On 9/29/2019 at 3:44 PM, amylynn said:

Hi all! I thought I’d get one of these started for the next application round. It was really helpful when I was applying to MA programs a few years ago.

I’m applying to PhD programs. I’m bioarch and my thesis research has been focusing on the use of photogrammetry in biodistance research. Regionally I’m looking programs that work in Central and South America. 

I don’t have all that many programs on my list right now as it seems everyone I’ve emailed isn’t taking students so any suggestions would be really helpful!

Have you looked at Texas State University? They just started a PhD program in anthropology. Texas State not only has a body farm, but also has a fair amount of researchers in Mesoamerica. Most of the schools in Texas have researchers that do work in Belize on the Maya, if that is something that interests you. You can always PM me if you have questions!

On 10/6/2019 at 9:09 PM, phyanth said:

Have you looked at Texas State University? They just started a PhD program in anthropology. Texas State not only has a body farm, but also has a fair amount of researchers in Mesoamerica. Most of the schools in Texas have researchers that do work in Belize on the Maya, if that is something that interests you. You can always PM me if you have questions!

I actually have not, thanks for letting me know! I knew they had started a PhD program but I didn’t realize how many people worked in Mesoamerica. Thanks again!

I'll be applying to terminal Master's programs in bioarchaeology. Still trying to figure out how all this works, but I'm slowly making progress. Trying to find schools that are relatively close to my home state, so hopefully I'll find enough that'll work for me.

7 hours ago, nerdperry said:

I'll be applying to terminal Master's programs in bioarchaeology. Still trying to figure out how all this works, but I'm slowly making progress. Trying to find schools that are relatively close to my home state, so hopefully I'll find enough that'll work for me.

Let me know if need any suggestions! I’m in a terminal MA right now and the last time I applied I did mostly master programs, so I might be able to come up with a few suggestions!

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, nerdperry said:

@amylynn Thanks! Of the schools I was looking at, I narrowed it down to four: University of Tennessee, North Carolina State University, East Carolina University, and Mississippi State. If you've got any thoughts on those programs, it would be greatly appreciated!

I don't know too much about North Carolina State University, so I can't help much there. But I do know UT has a great reputation for bio, and I'm pretty such they have collections there that you can use in your research, so that's a real benefit. They also have a lot of resources in terms of labs and funding that you probably won't find at smaller schools. If your looking at Megan Perry at East Carolina I've only ever heard great things about her. As for Mississippi State, I'm currently at Southern Miss and I've heard great things about their program from their students. I'm pretty sure they have two birch faculty that are pretty great and they have active field programs which is a definite plus. If your not opposed to Ole Miss, I would look into them too. Carolyn Freiwald is absolutely great! 

Hi everyone! Does anyone have advice as to how to say in contact with POIs throughout the application procress? I had a phone call with my top choice back in September, and she had mentioned that that call could be the first of many and she could FaceTime me around the lab to do a tour. I'm interested in doing that but I feel like it would be a bit weird just to reach out just for that. I'm probably just over thinking it, but I wanted some other insight before hitting send! Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

@amylynn, from my experiences, I would update them when I initially wanted to work with them with a follow up chat/interview. Then I would update them when I submitted my application so that they knew that it would be in the stack and for them to seek me out during the review process. If you are in the area or are planning to be, I would also say it would be appropriate to ask about seeing the department and labs just so you can get that face to face interaction - however I would not plan a special trip before being admitted to do so unless you are going through town.

• 2 weeks later...

@amylynn I would say try to reach out every few months, if you have something relevant. In your case of seeing the lab, that may be something good to work into an email letting this PI know that you submitted your application (which is always a good idea so they'll keep an eye out for it). If you feel like it'd be helpful to try to see the lab before you apply, definitely ask. It's also important to know that if this is for a PhD, they'll probably arrange for you to come visit once you're accepted. So you'll get to see the labs then. Hope this helps!

On 10/7/2019 at 9:29 AM, DumbBeanJuice said:

Is anyone here interested in the Anthropology of Food, as it relates to themes of heritage and memory? If any of these themes line up with your interests I would love to know what programs you all are applying to!?

I don't have an interest, but this topic reminds me of Hanna Garth's research. Not sure if this reply is helpful at all, but maybe it is! She's at UCSD :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all! This is my first post ever. 

I'm applying to 10 programs - 7 Anthropology (mix of Psych/Medical and Sociocultural) and 3 Feminist/Gender Studies. My topic is about queer Indian women's agency in the site of the family - it's at the intersection of psychological anthropology and transnational feminism. Key words: subjectivity, agency, LGBTQ+, India and South Asia. (Also I have 2 questions - see the bottom of my post.)

UC Berkeley Joint Med Anthro (psych)

UCLA Anthro (psych)

UCSD Anthro (psych)

Stanford Anthro (psych) 

Columbia Anthro (sociocultural)

Johns Hopkins Anthro (sociocultural)

Brandeis Anthro (sociocultural)

U of Minnesota Feminist Studies

UCSC Feminist Studies

Rutgers WGS 

I've gotten encouraging emails back from all my potential programs' POIs just pitching them my research, which has been such a relief and affirming, honestly. All EXCEPT JHU...because I kept putting off sending the emails since it's my latest deadline and now it's too late to send off emails. Eff.

Any advice if not having contacted them can be to my detriment during the admissions committee process??

Also if anyone hears decisions from any of these programs, do tell! I'm so goddamn nervous. 

Edited by masthana

Hey! I saw a UCSB interview get posted, congratulations! If they wouldn't mind sharing is it a formal interview situation?

UCSB is by far my top choice so I'm just wondering if I should accept my fate now! ?

On 12/23/2019 at 3:57 PM, amylynn said:

I saw a UCSB interview get posted, congratulations! If they wouldn't mind sharing is it a formal interview situation?

I'm not the UCSB interview but I have a phone interview with UCSD tomorrow afternoon! Eeek. Scoured the interview tips threads and it seems pretty straightforward but I'm still nervous!

16 minutes ago, masthana said:

I'm not the UCSB interview but I have a phone interview with UCSD tomorrow afternoon! Eeek. Scoured the interview tips threads and it seems pretty straightforward but I'm still nervous!

Congratulations and good luck! I’m sure you’ll do great! I did the phone call thing before submitting my applications and going into each I felt like I had to be super prepared but looking back on it I think I just psyched myself out. I also found it really helpful to have a little cheat sheet with all the important points just so I knew I didn’t miss anything too valuable! Good luck!!

I had a call with UCSB back a bit ago and I don’t remember them ever mentioning interviews. So I’m kinda hoping I checked that box already, but I guess I’ll find out soon enough!

3 minutes ago, amylynn said:

Congratulations and good luck! I’m sure you’ll do great! I did the phone call thing before submitting my applications and going into each I felt like I had to be super prepared but looking back on it I think I just psyched myself out. I also found it really helpful to have a little cheat sheet with all the important points just so I knew I didn’t miss anything too valuable! Good luck!!

I had a call with UCSB back a bit ago and I don’t remember them ever mentioning interviews. So I’m kinda hoping I checked that box already, but I guess I’ll find out soon enough!

Ah thank you @amylynn!! That's a great idea. I was thinking of having all my application materials in front of me for reference but a cheat sheet sounds much more manageable. 

Good luck to you too :D  We got this.

• 2 weeks later...

I applied to UC Berkeley in anthro archaeology this fall-- hoping to hear about an interview in the next couple of weeks per Results timeline. So nervous. I've had a few really good, helpful correspondences with faculty/students there.

Hello everyone! I just submitted my applications to 4 universities for the 2020 fall spots in geoarch. 

This is my first time applying so I'm just wondering when I should expect to hear back. I'm guessing sometime in february/march?

13 hours ago, Soundofjello said:

This is my first time applying so I'm just wondering when I should expect to hear back. I'm guessing sometime in february/march?

It depends on the department. A few departments get back to applicants as early as January or even December (although it is not as common), but most departments as you had correctly guessed, notify applicants in February or March. If you have been waitlisted for a program, you may get off the waitlist as late as a few hours before the April 15 deadline that most U.S. graduate schools adhere to.