Bioengineering/Biomedical Engineering Applications for 2020 Admission

LHMQ

1 hour ago, Burr17 said:

I received an interview from the GT interdisciplinary BioE program. Beyond excited! Looks like someone else also posted that they sent interviews out on the results page. 

I'm surprised to hear that decisions/invites are sent on weekends as well. Congrats btw!

•  
  • Members
  • 1 post

I heard that a lot of programs don't necessarily care for the GRE, so I didn't bother using up my time to study for it. I received a 155 on quant and 154 on verbal, and I know some schools on my list don't even require it. However, I am now anxious that my score will keep me from being admitted to the MS in BME programs. Despite me not taking any engineering courses (given my major), I am very interested in the field (in neuroengineering particularly), and I have the sufficient courses as stated on the websites of the graduate schools. I believe that I can perform well at these universities given my research interests--but I just wonder if I should plan more backups given my poor GRE. Can someone help me out?

I'm applying to:

MS in BME at: Stanford, Duke, Upenn, G-Tech/Emory, WUSTL, and CMU. 

I believe that the rest of my application is fairly strong though:

Institution: Research Christian University

Major: Applied Math and Biochemistry

GPA: 3.82

Publications:

1. First Author in Science Advances (and featured on Science Podcast)

2. Tentative publication at Johns Hopkins Med School Research Internship (attended 3 summers)

3. Several conference presentations (university-wide, regional, national, and international)

LOR:

3 strong letters from faculty I did research with throughout college.

Awards:

Goldwater Scholar

Thermo Fisher Scientific Antibody Scholar

Several Research Conference Travel Awards

Some undergraduate research competition Top 3 places

Presidential Service Medal

22 minutes ago, ExistingSteak said:
  •  
  •  
  • Members
  • 1 post

I heard that a lot of programs don't necessarily care for the GRE, so I didn't bother using up my time to study for it. I received a 155 on quant and 154 on verbal, and I know some schools on my list don't even require it. However, I am now anxious that my score will keep me from being admitted to the MS in BME programs. Despite me not taking any engineering courses (given my major), I am very interested in the field (in neuroengineering particularly), and I have the sufficient courses as stated on the websites of the graduate schools. I believe that I can perform well at these universities given my research interests--but I just wonder if I should plan more backups given my poor GRE. Can someone help me out?

I'm applying to:

MS in BME at: Stanford, Duke, Upenn, G-Tech/Emory, WUSTL, and CMU. 

I believe that the rest of my application is fairly strong though:

Institution: Research Christian University

Major: Applied Math and Biochemistry

GPA: 3.82

Publications:

1. First Author in Science Advances (and featured on Science Podcast)

2. Tentative publication at Johns Hopkins Med School Research Internship (attended 3 summers)

3. Several conference presentations (university-wide, regional, national, and international)

LOR:

3 strong letters from faculty I did research with throughout college.

Awards:

Goldwater Scholar

Thermo Fisher Scientific Antibody Scholar

Several Research Conference Travel Awards

Some undergraduate research competition Top 3 places

Presidential Service Medal

Hey there! I feel it's a bit late in the process to be applying for backup schools. It's hard to say what the repercussions of a mediocre GRE is in applying for masters programs, especially ones at the calibre you've listed. While it may be true that many schools don't care much about the GRE, that's not to say that they don't care at all (especially if you report one). Be aware, there will be plenty of applicants submitting stellar scores at the schools you've listed. The general consensus I hear about the exam is that they want to see you can test within a favorable range; obviously, this range is higher for more competitive programs. Wait to see what happens this cycle, and, if it doesn't work out, I recommend investing some energy in a retake. Think of the GRE as almost a "rite of passage" for most aspiring grad students: don't take it too lightly. Best of luck!

33 minutes ago, nodog28 said:

Anyone else getting a little nervous about UPenn? It seems like they're starting to reach out to people but not sure if it's just one specific lab that's doing it.

Yup. It's almost a midnight in Pennsylvania, but I still keep refreshing my inbox in a hope of getting any updates lol. 

14 hours ago, AtLeastOneAdmission said:

Yup. It's almost a midnight in Pennsylvania, but I still keep refreshing my inbox in a hope of getting any updates lol. 

It looks like skype interview offers on results but it does not look like the official visit. Still makes me nervous since people are hearing something and my inbox is empty. 

19 minutes ago, HangInThere said:

To the posts above, I emailed them and they said  "the review process is well underway." 

Has anyone get anything from the west coast? UCLA? UW? UCSD?

Was contacted by UCLA today and was asked to submit an additional document, but was not given any info on the status of the application. I have a feeling the first wave of interviews/acceptances will be sent out this/next week. 

Hi guys!

I am a nervous reck because I have not heard from any of my schools yet and I don't know anyone that has applied for a PhD before, so I have no one to ask. Has anyone applied/heard back from the following schools? Do you have any info. on when we might get a reply? 

Thank you....

• Johns Hopkins University BME
  • Boston University BME
  • University of Southern California BME
  • UCB/UCSF Bioengineering
  • Stanford Bioengineering
  • Purdue BME

16 minutes ago, Cece333 said:

Hi guys!

I am a nervous reck because I have not heard from any of my schools yet and I don't know anyone that has applied for a PhD before, so I have no one to ask. Has anyone applied/heard back from the following schools? Do you have any info. on when we might get a reply? 

Thank you....

• Boston University BME
  • Purdue BME

Traditionally, I think Stanford sends out their interview invites late in January (as in, 1.5-2 weeks from now, if I were to guess). JHU has been around mid-January, actually around this time. The same scenario applies to UC Berkeley, and from the Results page it looks like they send out a bunch of rejections at almost exactly the same time. There'll probably be closure, at least. So from JHU and UCB/UCSF, we might hear back later this week!

Edited by WanderingNomad

9 minutes ago, WanderingNomad said:

Also, I didn't apply there, but I think (don't quote me on this) USC BME has already sent out some acceptances (according to the Results page). 

Never mind on this, I just checked and it looks like they send their invitations around early February? 

I must've seen an acceptance for a different Engineering program. Anyways, edited the original post to remove this.

Edited by WanderingNomad

1 hour ago, LHMQ said:

Btw does anyone’s Stanford application portal still says incomplete? Pretty sure I got everything in.

My application says ‘submitted’. No sign of incomplete. Maybe call or email just to double check. 

1 hour ago, ydzhu said:

My application says ‘submitted’. No sign of incomplete. Maybe call or email just to double check. 

Yeah outside it says submitted. But I am talking about the application status when you click into the "View checklist" tab. What does yours show? Mine says incomplete but the checklist doesn't show anything missing.

3 minutes ago, LHMQ said:

Yeah outside it says submitted. But I am talking about the application status when you click into the "View checklist" tab. What does yours show? Mine says incomplete but the checklist doesn't show anything missing.

Oh good catch. Mine says incomplete too on the checklist page. I’m not too worried about it though. It says they have received my letters of recommendation, transcripts, personal statement, and GRE score. Enough for them to make a decision. Also, there’s a statement that says they won’t respond to individual inquiries about the completion of the application at the beginning of the page, so I guess contacting them about it won’t help. 

The Spring semester is just getting started in the US; the faculty (who makes decisions) is getting started on teaching and staff (who send out decision) are clearing their desks. Just give it another 15 days or more for the results to trickle in.

22 minutes ago, Pranav B said:

The Spring semester is just getting started in the US; the faculty (who makes decisions) is getting started on teaching and staff (who send out decision) are clearing their desks. Just give it another 15 days or more for the results to trickle in.

Thanks, that’s reassuring :) I’ve only heard back from one application so far!

For all the people that are stressed about the applications out there:

We got this. I would like to share all the information that I gather. Please contributes if you have relevant informations! 

Harvard: skype interview, unknown recruitment date 

UCLA: recruitment date: 2/6-2/7

USC: skype interview 

UCSD: who knows 

UCB: Don’t know too much about this, rejected shit ton of applicants last year 

UW: Last year notified Jan19th

Cornell: I don’t think they do interviews 

Yale: nothing yet

MIT: interviews 

Upenn: Jan 24th  3.7-3.9 (last year’s post)

Stanford: MID-MARCH Sent out the decision by April. 

UCI

29 minutes ago, HangInThere said:

For all the people that are stressed about the applications out there:

We got this. I would like to share all the information that I gather. Please contributes if you have relevant informations! 

UCI

Thank you for this!!! I wanted to add a few schools. Also, do you know if all USC invitations have been sent out already?

UCI

Johns Hopkins: website says interviews will be out next Monday the latest

Purdue:

Boston University:

Edited by Cece333

On 1/14/2020 at 4:32 PM, Cece333 said:

Hi guys!

Thank you....

• Boston University BME
  • Purdue BME

I applied to Purdue BME (through IDGP) as well. They asked for my official transcript today ASAP (oops), so I am guessing that they are working on reviewing apps and we should hear soon!

Hi,
Does anyone know if Duke, Princeton, and Cornell work on a rolling admission base? I saw that some already got answers and it's making me nervous.
Also, does anyone has any insights regarding Carnegie Mellon Biomedical engineering?

Edited by Itai