MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

9 minutes ago, Anna H said:

I've been contemplating calling UIC to ask about my admission status but I am worried they haven't reviewed my application yet. I applied on 11/27-- any advice? 

You definitely need to call. I'm sure they already have a decision, but they only update the portal in batches. So you are not going to find out right when they decide.

I called and it was no issue - they give you the answer over the phone. It does not effect your application negatively, I promise. Someone else on this thread just called and also got their answer that day. 

I am 99% sure - i'll be declining my admission there, so hopefully there are some spots that will open up!

Even if they didn't get to your app yet - they will just let you know that as well.

Edited by Zayah

6 minutes ago, Nai23 said:

They seem to be giving all kinds of mixed responses. I just got a very vague "within the next few weeks" response!

Well that was a huge tease lol. We all got EXCITED.

25 minutes ago, RoseLewis said:

I just called them as well and got the same response, 1st week of march! Did you hear anything about chicago yet?? 

I believe this Friday until 2/15. (Based on LY's threads).

Edited by Zayah

10 minutes ago, Zayah said:

You definitely need to call. I'm sure they already have a decision, but they only update the portal in batches. So you are not going to find out right when they decide.

I called and it was no issue - they give you the answer over the phone. It does not effect your application negatively, I promise. Someone else on this thread just called and also got their answer that day. 

I am 99% sure - i'll be declining my admission there, so hopefully there are some spots that will open up!

Thanks! This gave me the courage to call-- my application has yet to be updated :( I think it is taking a little while longer because I applied close to the final deadline. Hopefully I hear something in the next two weeks or so. 

1 minute ago, Anna H said:

Thanks! This gave me the courage to call-- my application has yet to be updated :( I think it is taking a little while longer because I applied close to the final deadline. Hopefully I hear something in the next two weeks or so. 

Awe!! Well I am glad you called, did you ask when you could call back to check again? I hope you hear back soon. I know they have been reviewing since sept, so they aren't super behind. Hoping your back in the next week or so! Good Luck Anna, I HOPE you get in!!!

34 minutes ago, RoseLewis said:

I just called them as well and got the same response, 1st week of march! Did you hear anything about chicago yet?? 

Lol. I called and was told if I applied in early December I would hear in the next two weeks. 

7 minutes ago, Zayah said:

Awe!! Well I am glad you called, did you ask when you could call back to check again? I hope you hear back soon. I know they have been reviewing since sept, so they aren't super behind. Hoping your back in the next week or so! Good Luck Anna, I HOPE you get in!!!

The person I spoke to said I should hear back by the end of January so just a little while longer! Thank you so much ❤️ 

Re: Columbia - the email I got after I applied said that I would hear by February 2020. Not sure if that means by the end of February or before the month starts, but because of that email, I'm dubious of them waiting until March to notify us if we applied by the priority deadline! 

3 minutes ago, Anna H said:

The person I spoke to said I should hear back by the end of January so just a little while longer! Thank you so much ❤️ 

Gotcha! Will if they told you by end of Jan, then you definitely will hear by then. They are pretty good about giving reliable info.

And yup!! NP

3 minutes ago, simonsays said:

Re: Columbia - the email I got after I applied said that I would hear by February 2020. Not sure if that means by the end of February or before the month starts, but because of that email, I'm dubious of them waiting until March to notify us if we applied by the priority deadline! 

I'm curious if people are giving their names when calling? That is the only reason I think someone would be told different information. Some decisions may be ready for certain individuals vs. others. 

Ex, if you get waitlisted, etc.

I was told by an admissions contact (back in Dec) - that decisions would be coming out starting Mid Jan until Feb.

Edited by Zayah

9 minutes ago, Zayah said:

I'm curious if people are giving their names when calling? That is the only reason I think someone would be told different information. Some decisions may be ready for certain individuals vs. others. 

Ex, if you get waitlisted, etc.

I was told by an admissions contact (back in Dec) - that decisions would be coming out starting Mid Jan until Feb.

I didn't say my name. 

I thought we'd start hearing around now until February also. I have a feeling that they just said March and that we might be hearing back sooner. 

6 minutes ago, amb22 said:

I didn't say my name. 

I thought we'd start hearing around now until February also. I have a feeling that they just said March and that we might be hearing back sooner. 

Gotcha. Honestly I've ruled out Columbia as an option, but the hype is making me anxious too LOL. Well i'm sure the minute someone finds out - it will be posted here!

I've also read - decisions are posted at 5pm, from previous years threads.

Edited by Zayah

ASU accepted me two months ago but never sent a financial aid offer and their website says they send that after accepting your admissions? Should I emailed them and say um.... I'm going to need to know a financial aid package to keep you in consideration.

On 1/7/2020 at 11:13 PM, Zayah said:

Congrats! What is your topic pick?

Also can I ask what your stats are and scholarship amount to BC? I didn't receive any funding :(, so I am declining my spot there for sure. But I have heard they are really generous with scholarships - so I was surprised.

Top choices are UChicago and Michigan, but I am still awaiting news from both. I was given $40,000 to BC--dispersed over two years, but they did ask for an answer by Jan. 10 (which I requested and was approved for an extension). Funding is a big concern for me as well--If I don't receive funding from the other programs, I'll probably end up at BC. Stats: I graduated from cum laude from a Top 30 undergraduate program with a Sociology degree (WGS minor). I'm on my second year of AmeriCorps service to income-qualified residents--where I do energy audits, education, and minor home repairs. Best of luck! 

1 hour ago, gracie18 said:

Top choices are UChicago and Michigan, but I am still awaiting news from both. I was given $40,000 to BC--dispersed over two years, but they did ask for an answer by Jan. 10 (which I requested and was approved for an extension). Funding is a big concern for me as well--If I don't receive funding from the other programs, I'll probably end up at BC. Stats: I graduated from cum laude from a Top 30 undergraduate program with a Sociology degree (WGS minor). I'm on my second year of AmeriCorps service to income-qualified residents--where I do energy audits, education, and minor home repairs. Best of luck! 

Did you apply by Dec 1st? If so - we should start hearing back over the next two weeks!

Stats - are awesome! Thanks for sharing, that is a very generous scholarship amount, I am sure UC can match that. I am unsure how much UM typically awards.

When I called CU in December to confirm my application was received, they already knew who I was as they picked up. I asked how they knew, and with caller ID  they had looked up my name/application at that moment. I'm wondering if they're giving different responses based on application status. I'm worried to call back for this reason. Anyone else have a similar experience?

I applied to three programs with Advanced Standing status,

University of Washington

University of Denver

University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee

(I also withdrew my UT Austin application due to the pay disparities with Hispanic Tenured professors vs. white male tenured professors.)

I believe I'll hear back from Denver first, followed by Milwaukee and Washington last with the March decision date. UW is my first choice followed by Denver, then Milwaukee. However with the high cost of living in Seattle, it might be more financially prudent to go to Denver (I have family there) or Milwaukee where housing is much more affordable.

1 hour ago, MSWHopeful123 said:

When I called CU in December to confirm my application was received, they already knew who I was as they picked up. I asked how they knew, and with caller ID  they had looked up my name/application at that moment. I'm wondering if they're giving different responses based on application status. I'm worried to call back for this reason. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Yes! I called and said my first name and the person I spoke to said that my application had already been reviewed so I would hear anytime in the next couple weeks. I thought maybe I was getting brushed off because I knew I hadn't given them my last name, so that explains it.

I say don't worry about calling multiple times! They go through this every year and know that a bunch of stressed out applicants (us) are going to call with questions. 

1 hour ago, MSWHopeful123 said:

That makes so MUCH sense. WHAT number are guys calling? They haven't answered when I called.

4 minutes ago, JuliaFrances said:

Yes! I called and said my first name and the person I spoke to said that my application had already been reviewed so I would hear anytime in the next couple weeks. I thought maybe I was getting brushed off because I knew I hadn't given them my last name, so that explains it.

I say don't worry about calling multiple times! They go through this every year and know that a bunch of stressed out applicants (us) are going to call with questions. 

Well that's a great sign then!! GOOD LUCK :D