GEM Fellowship 2020

IronSeoul

On 4/10/2020 at 1:29 PM, bapichulo said:

I was unaware that GEM Associate Fellows (Masters) only get a $8000 annual stipend I thought it was 16k. Welp.... Looks like I am accepting this GRA/GTA position

@bapichulo does that mean you will turn down the fellowship and go to the other school instead? Does anyone know how impactful it is having a fellowship? If one school offers a fellowship and the other school offers a full ride with the chance to apply to positions that make more money than the fellowship stepped, which would be a better choice? I'm in a pickle lol. 

6 hours ago, IronSeoul said:

@bapichulo does that mean you will turn down the fellowship and go to the other school instead? Does anyone know how impactful it is having a fellowship? If one school offers a fellowship and the other school offers a full ride with the chance to apply to positions that make more money than the fellowship stepped, which would be a better choice? I'm in a pickle lol. 

You might be able to do both. Depends on the school I think. For example, I am going to get the GEM stipend and my university rep informed me I might be able to find a paid research position separate from GEM if I wanted. You should ask your rep the details of your fellowship, some require RA/TA and some don't. If the university just gives you a stipend then also ask how you can get a RA/TA position for additional money.

Me personally I would take the for sure stipend, and try to find a position at the university for more money. I think that's better than just the "chance to apply to positions" in my opinion because that doesn't seem like a sure thing.

12 minutes ago, antwonn said:

You might be able to do both. Depends on the school I think. For example, I am going to get the GEM stipend and my university rep informed me I might be able to find a paid research position separate from GEM if I wanted. You should ask your rep the details of your fellowship, some require RA/TA and some don't. If the university just gives you a stipend then also ask how you can get a RA/TA position for additional money.

Me personally I would take the for sure stipend, and try to find a position at the university for more money. I think that's better than just the "chance to apply to positions" in my opinion because that doesn't seem like a sure thing.

That's a good point. for the Fellowship I have to work to get the stipend either as an RA/TA and I don't think I will have time or energy to get another position. Thanks for the insight. its a tough choice I have to make soon!

On 4/14/2020 at 11:53 AM, IronSeoul said:

I was in the same boat. The school I want gave me a full ride if I choose to be a GTA/GRA with a $16,000 annually (paid monthly during the academic semester) as a Masters student. I thought about the extra workload and kinda wanted to avoid it, so I emailed the GEM rep at the school and asked when decisions would be made for the Associate Fellows. The GEM Rep emailed back explaining that the school offered more money without the fellowship. If I got the fellowship, I would be losing out on $8,000 which can really help with bills. I chose the schools offer.

17 hours ago, bapichulo said:

I was in the same boat. The school I want gave me a full ride if I choose to be a GTA/GRA with a $16,000 annually (paid monthly during the academic semester) as a Masters student. I thought about the extra workload and kinda wanted to avoid it, so I emailed the GEM rep at the school and asked when decisions would be made for the Associate Fellows. The GEM Rep emailed back explaining that the school offered more money without the fellowship. If I got the fellowship, I would be losing out on $8,000 which can really help with bills. I chose the schools offer.

So you declined the GEM school and went with the non-GEM school?

1 hour ago, tonymartin said:

My top choice GEM rep said they don't have the funding available in their department to match me as a GEM Full Fellow, am I out of luck with this school or should I talk to GEM about it possibly? Though I'm not sure there is much they could do.

Can you be a GEM Associate fellow instead?

Just now, BestWilson said:

Can I use the GEM fellowship and GTA/GRA at the same time ? I was offered a GRA/GTA and GEM associate fellowship from the same institution. 

It depends, make sure that GTA/GRA is not apart of the GEM package. They might give you GEM and part of the contract is that you work as GTA/GRA. It's not always a free stipend.

1 hour ago, tonymartin said:

I don't think so because I have been paired with an employer, but isn't the cost for the university the same? Tuition + fees.

Yes, the cost for the university is the same. I would contact GEM, but it sounds like you have offers from other schools (or did have offers). The only reason I would be concerned is because the deadline to accept graduate school admissions for most schools was yesterday. So, if this was the school that you chose and you rejected the other universities; I am not sure if there would be much that can be done if there is no funding available. Also, GEM has set their deadline for universities and students to sign for April 19, so if you could get in touch with them tomorrow that would be best. I wish you the best of luck!

Edited by candy080

22 hours ago, IronSeoul said:

So you declined the GEM school and went with the non-GEM school?

Its the same school.  They didnt offer me GEM yet, but told me their offer was better than the GEM fellowship.

22 hours ago, BestWilson said:

Can I use the GEM fellowship and GTA/GRA at the same time ? I was offered a GRA/GTA and GEM associate fellowship from the same institution. 

Im not too sure about that. My GTA position offer came with full tuition plus a stipend. I am not too sure if you stack a Full tuition fellowship with another full tuition offer.

20 hours ago, candy080 said:

Yes, the cost for the university is the same. I would contact GEM, but it sounds like you have offers from other schools (or did have offers). The only reason I would be concerned is because the deadline to accept graduate school admissions for most schools was yesterday. So, if this was the school that you chose and you rejected the other universities; I am not sure if there would be much that can be done if there is no funding available. Also, GEM has set their deadline for universities and students to sign for April 19, so if you could get in touch with them tomorrow that would be best. I wish you the best of luck!

Yeah I have other offers, and only asked for extensions from the schools I was seriously considering. I will contact GEM and see what options are available if any, but I did not accept any offer yet. Also I thought the deadline to sign a university was May 1? Maybe I was mistaken, thanks for the heads up.

Edited by tonymartin

On 4/16/2020 at 10:43 PM, candy080 said:

Where do you see the April 19th deadline to sign?

5 hours ago, oneshotwonder said:

I received an email on March 27, 2020 regarding associate and university fellows; however, things may have changed. 

5 hours ago, oneshotwonder said:

Edited by candy080

On 4/17/2020 at 6:44 PM, Hope12 said:

Does anyone know if GEM provides $16K in financial support or is this provided by the university? I was under the impression that GEM would give $16k stipend for the first year. 

Yes GEM does provide 16k for the first year of a phd program. If masters, then its 16k spread over 2 years, so 8k each year.

Has anyone else been receiving emails from GEM on how to send their transcripts/other required items? I sent my transcripts back in February but they still haven't updated eGEM, I want to contact them but in the email it states, "we will contact you if we are missing anything, no need to contact us".

40 minutes ago, tonymartin said:

Has anyone else been receiving emails from GEM on how to send their transcripts/other required items? I sent my transcripts back in February but they still haven't updated eGEM, I want to contact them but in the email it states, "we will contact you if we are missing anything, no need to contact us".

I'm in the same boat. I actually emailed them about it on March 23 and they told me that they were still processing documents. I have an extra copy to send just in case, but I'm going to wait it out first.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I applied for the GEM Fellowship in December 2019. My university status currently says 'Willing to Admit as a GEM Fellow'. Has anyone got this? If so, any updated regarding getting matched with a sponsoring employer? My current status says 'Unmatched'

2 hours ago, sara_a said:

Hi there, I applied for the GEM Fellowship in December 2019. My university status currently says 'Willing to Admit as a GEM Fellow'. Has anyone got this? If so, any updated regarding getting matched with a sponsoring employer? My current status says 'Unmatched'

Hey, so I went through this as well. Everyone's university status says 'willing to admit as a GEM Fellow'. The only way to know if you are being offered funding by a university is to click the link on your profile "Click here to update your record on schools to which you have applied and/or been accepted". Then, you will see if you have any offers from your university in the offers box; if you have an offer then it would say "confirm contract" in the offers box. 

Not sure if employers are still hiring due to COVID-19. They were struggling to continue to keep students in their summer 2020 internships that already had employer offers when the pandemic hit. Your best bet would be to reach out to GEM Employers you are interested in and/or the GEM Fellowship program. 

Edited by candy080