GEM Fellowship 2020

IronSeoul

Hey everyone,Here is the forum for the 2020 GEM Fellowship. I want to contact GEM employers but I have no clue what to write in an email?

GEM Fellowship 2019

GEM Fellowship 2018

GEM Fellowship 2017

GEM Fellowship 2016

GEM Fellowship 2015

GEM Fellowship 2014

GEM Fellowship 2012

Edited by IronSeoul

Hi IronSeoul, What do you want to contact them about? 

If it's just to make yourself known, maybe it would be best to wait until you've been notified by GEM that you're application has been matched. From the list below on the application statues, it seems like that's when the employer gets your information. That's just my opinion though. Maybe you can ask a fellowship advisor at your university for input on this subject. I got this list from GEM fellowship 2019 forum. 

1. Matched - GEM thinks you're a good candidate and matched you with a company(companies) 
  2. Held - A company is reviewing your credentials and is considering an interview extension
  3. Release - if you went from Held to Release then the company was looking at you, but decided to pick another scholar. (This can happen after an interview also).
  4. Accepted - You got a company sponsor! Congrats!

I attended a college after high school that was not in the drop down menu. Does anyone know if there was an option to add an institution? It's a bit late to add it now, but at least I'll know that I won't get selected because of it and won't be waiting and hoping for an acceptance. I didn't see one when I was filling out the application but now i'm thinking that I might have over looked it. 

Thanks in advance! 

Hey all, does anyone have an idea what to do in my case? I just found out that my recently accepted graduate programme is Gem approved, but the GEM application deadline has passed, and I would already be a semester in before the next app cycle. Is it possible to still apply the next cycle as a grad student? Defer grad acceptance or what? Any advice is much appreciated!

Edited by Vitamalt

Hi Vitamalt,

Yes, it's possible to apply as a grad student. I'm currently a grad student, and I called to verify before I applied. I was told that as long as we have an entire year left of grad school we can still apply. You can call or email the GEM fellowship directly and ask about your specific situation. Hope this helps! 

Hey, does anyone know how to update their GRE scores on the new website? I recently got my official scores and I was trying to upload them, but there doesn't seem to be an option to do so anymore. 

Also @stafo it looks like that may be an error, as I was wondering the same thing. The new website interface seems incomplete and difficult to navigate (whoever built the website must have accidentally used the max score for the SAT as reference lol). 

35 minutes ago, ellokiwi said:

I emailed them about the max score being incorrect for the GRE, but heard nothing back. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  @stafo Not too concerned tho...

Anybody been contacted by a GEM employer yet?

I have not, been "Matched" for quite some time. According to the past GEM forums this is normal and your status will change often. I am hoping for the best :)))

Hi fellow GEM applicants, 

Trying not to get too excited, but my status changed to Held today after about 2 weeks of being Matched. Got the following notification: "Congratulations Aerospace Corporation, The have responded to your application." Good vibes to you all!

28 minutes ago, mechaniCOOLengineer said:

Hi fellow GEM applicants, 

Trying not to get too excited, but my status changed to Held today after about 2 weeks of being Matched. Got the following notification: "Congratulations Aerospace Corporation, The have responded to your application." Good vibes to you all!

Congratulations! That's awesome news! Did you get the notification via email or when you logged in to the portal?

My status has remained unmatched. I am pretty sure that I will not be matched since my field (Geology) only had 1 potential employer, and even the chance of being matched with them is very, very slim. Oh well, hoping to get the associate fellowship. Wishing everyone else the best of luck :)

On 12/2/2019 at 7:36 PM, Hope12 said:

Hi Vitamalt,

Yes, it's possible to apply as a grad student. I'm currently a grad student, and I called to verify before I applied. I was told that as long as we have an entire year left of grad school we can still apply. You can call or email the GEM fellowship directly and ask about your specific situation. Hope this helps! 

Hi Hope12, 

Thank you so much for the response! I will call them and ask. I found out about GEM funding masters program after the deadline. DO you know if I would have to wait for the next app cycle to begin? Thanks, anyway and I will call them. 

10 hours ago, Vitamalt said:

Hi Hope12, 

Thank you so much for the response! I will call them and ask. I found out about GEM funding masters program after the deadline. DO you know if I would have to wait for the next app cycle to begin? Thanks, anyway and I will call them. 

Hi Vitamalt,

Unfortunately,  you will have to wait until the next application cycle to be considered. My friend attempted to apply to the day after the deadline and they denied him. However, since you are calling them, it won't hurt to try your luck and ask. Sorry!

On 12/12/2019 at 12:23 PM, stafo said:

Hi Vitamalt,

Unfortunately,  you will have to wait until the next application cycle to be considered. My friend attempted to apply to the day after the deadline and they denied him. However, since you are calling them, it won't hurt to try your luck and ask. Sorry!

Hi Stafo, 

Thank you for the advice. I will keep it in mind!

On 11/20/2019 at 2:41 PM, Hope12 said:

Hi IronSeoul, What do you want to contact them about? 

If it's just to make yourself known, maybe it would be best to wait until you've been notified by GEM that you're application has been matched. From the list below on the application statues, it seems like that's when the employer gets your information. That's just my opinion though. Maybe you can ask a fellowship advisor at your university for input on this subject. I got this list from GEM fellowship 2019 forum. 

1. Matched - GEM thinks you're a good candidate and matched you with a company(companies) 
  2. Held - A company is reviewing your credentials and is considering an interview extension
  3. Release - if you went from Held to Release then the company was looking at you, but decided to pick another scholar. (This can happen after an interview also).
  4. Accepted - You got a company sponsor! Congrats!

Yes I just wanted to make myself known, but I might also email GEM and ask them as well.