GEM Fellowship 2020

IronSeoul

56 minutes ago, OscarGon1234 said:

Did anyone else get an email from GEM??

I got an email today about making it to the next round and that I’m missing applications to member universities. 

1 hour ago, jinxes said:

I got an email today about making it to the next round and that I’m missing applications to member universities. 

Same. Only one school actually verified that I've applied. I'm assuming we have to email the GEM representatives at the schools we applied to confirm they have received our applications (weird because I've received interviews for at least a couple, so they should have it updated...)? 

16 hours ago, orchidaceae said:

Same. Only one school actually verified that I've applied. I'm assuming we have to email the GEM representatives at the schools we applied to confirm they have received our applications (weird because I've received interviews for at least a couple, so they should have it updated...)? 

Don't email them until approximately a week after January 15th. According to the FAQ, most GEM representatives don't verify the applicants' school status until February 1st. We'll just have to sit tight and wait patiently :)

11 hours ago, OscarGon1234 said:

Don't email them until approximately a week after January 15th. According to the FAQ, most GEM representatives don't verify the applicants' school status until February 1st. We'll just have to sit tight and wait patiently :)

Ohh, you're right! Thanks! I'd prefer to be in their good graces ? Patience isn't my strong suit but I'm definitely being tested this application season.

Today an employer I did not list reached out to me for an interview. However, my employer status has remained 'Matched' ever since it first changed more than a month ago.

Anyway, I was wondering, shouldn't we expect to be contacted from the companies we listed first?

58 minutes ago, jinxes said:

Today an employer I did not list reached out to me for an interview. However, my employer status has remained 'Matched' ever since it first changed more than a month ago.

Anyway, I was wondering, shouldn't we expect to be contacted from the companies we listed first?

From my understanding if the your top choices don't think you're a good fit then other employers have the opportunity to review your application. However, if you remained Matched for over a month then that's a bit odd. You can always call GEM and inquire about it. Either way, good luck with the interview!

13 hours ago, msuazo said:

Has anyone else ~not~ been contacted by employers? It says that I have been "released" but I didn't even realized I was matched in the first place? Should I start to worry???????

I have been released for about three weeks or so now. Have not heard back from a company, notification from portal said I was released by Intel, but I am hopeful! All we can really do is wait, from my understanding companies are still reviewing applications.

I still haven't been contacted by employers and my status does say released after being matched for quite some time ? But yes you can still get the fellowship if you don't get matched with the employer (I believe you become a GEM associate, but read more here: https://www.gemfellowship.org/sponsorship/gem-fellowships/). I also got an email to register for a webinar. 

On 1/13/2020 at 8:48 PM, aaranda8592 said:

Does anyone know if GEM works for online degrees? Or do you have to physically attend the university you applied for in order for GEM to support you?

Hi aaranda8592, 

I believe it depends on the program. For instance, some part-time masters degree programs (some of which are online) qualifies. 

On 1/15/2020 at 10:23 PM, msuazo said:

Has anyone else ~not~ been contacted by employers? It says that I have been "released" but I didn't even realized I was matched in the first place? Should I start to worry???????

Me. I got "matched" the week before Christmas but never received an email/call for an interview. I wouldn't worry about it, unless you were really looking forward to the summer internship. You can still receive the fellowship as an associate, which covers tuition and stipend. You just don't get a summer internship and you don't get the university fees covered.

Edited by emmajean_b
typo

18 hours ago, IronSeoul said:

Yes, I did yesterday. But can you still get the fellowship if you  don't get matched with an employer? Also how many grad schools is everyone applying too? I'm applying to 23.

I only applied to 4. Would have been 7 but the potential advisers at the other 3 schools did not make my cuts.

20 hours ago, IronSeoul said:

Yes, I did yesterday. But can you still get the fellowship if you  don't get matched with an employer? Also how many grad schools is everyone applying too? I'm applying to 23.

I applied to 12 last year and that felt like almost too many! I would try to narrow it down to 15 schools if possible to save you and your recommenders some time and money! i.e. maybe the programs are all good fits, but which 15 of those would you most prefer to live in is important to consider too

14 hours ago, electricalchemist said:

Has anyone's applied schools acknowledged that they have at least applied or will that happen after the webinar?

So far, I have had only two universities put down that I have applied on the GEM site. I was going to give it until Friday before I start emailing the GEM reps from each school to change my status. 

14 hours ago, electricalchemist said:

Has anyone's applied schools acknowledged that they have at least applied or will that happen after the webinar?

None of the 4 schools I applied to have yet...and I submitted the last one December 3rd. I am planning to send out emails next Monday.

"I only applied to 4. Would have been 7 but the potential advisers at the other 3 schools did not make my cuts."

My recommends have already sent the letters, they are saints, and ya I should have applied to less, but I was nervous because I am applying to majors that I did not study in undergraduate (read: B.A. in Anthropology but M.S. in Computer Science). So I wanted to increase my odds. 

Edited by IronSeoul

3 hours ago, ellokiwi said:

@orchidaceae I would go for it. I reached out to an employer in December and got a positive response. I'll be interning with them this summer. Was able to accept offer on eGEM about a week ago, but still haven't gotten an official letter. 

Thank you so much! I'll be sure to do that. Did you personally email the employer or fill out the form on the website?