GEM Fellowship 2020

IronSeoul

On 2/13/2020 at 2:05 PM, individual1111 said:

Has Amazon reached out to any of you? My first interview with them was over three weeks ago, but they have not been able to schedule my second interview for some reason. Is anyone experiencing a really slow interview process?

I would imagine it is slow at the moment considering the upcoming deadlines to select GEM Fellows, so patience is obviously important. Three weeks though seems a bit long so I would definitely follow up with either your GEM contact or recruiter.

On 2/14/2020 at 4:29 PM, Infrarojos said:

Does anyone know if schools that accepted you notify you of acceptance/denial for GEM? Do you hear from the schools or from GEM?

If you are already accepted, I would recommend contacting the GEM University Rep to ask how the process works at that specific institution. That is what I did, and it cleared up a lot of confusion. For example, I learned from the rep at my chosen school that they only fund full GEM Fellows. So, they are waiting for my employer sponsor to send an official offer before they start processing my funding. I think every university has their own system, so definitely reach out!

On 2/13/2020 at 7:14 PM, stafo said:

For the people who were recently contacted by Intel, have you received any notifications regarding an interview?

I was also contacted by Intel like two weeks ago. I didn't interview with them, but did receive an email yesterday that they will making decisions soon.

23 hours ago, mechaniCOOLengineer said:

If you are already accepted, I would recommend contacting the GEM University Rep to ask how the process works at that specific institution. That is what I did, and it cleared up a lot of confusion. For example, I learned from the rep at my chosen school that they only fund full GEM Fellows. So, they are waiting for my employer sponsor to send an official offer before they start processing my funding. I think every university has their own system, so definitely reach out!

This helps - thanks!

I've been accepted by a couple of the schools and when I select the University Acceptance option on the portal it says "In order to complete your application, we need to know which university you intend to matriculate through. At least one university has indicated that you have been accepted and that they are willing to sponsor you." When selecting and rotating through the options, all the school names remain red. Do any of you know if this means anything? Or should I reach out to the schools to figure this out? Thanks

On 2/18/2020 at 5:00 PM, fettuccine_avocado said:

I've been accepted by a couple of the schools and when I select the University Acceptance option on the portal it says "In order to complete your application, we need to know which university you intend to matriculate through. At least one university has indicated that you have been accepted and that they are willing to sponsor you." When selecting and rotating through the options, all the school names remain red. Do any of you know if this means anything? Or should I reach out to the schools to figure this out? Thanks

Definitely reach out to the schools and GEM to figure this out.

Hi - Does anyone know if its ok to contact GEM University representatives about extending a decision deadline? They gave me until March 1st at one school but I haven't heard back from some of my other choices. Could GEM reps help in this scenario?

13 hours ago, Infrarojos said:

Hi - Does anyone know if its ok to contact GEM University representatives about extending a decision deadline? They gave me until March 1st at one school but I haven't heard back from some of my other choices. Could GEM reps help in this scenario?

Yes, you definitely should. The same thing happened to me and I got my deadline extended. 

Does anyone know how the GEM fellowship works in conjunction with scholarships? Say a university accepts you for GEM and gives you a scholarship, is it one or the other, all together, is the scholarship revised or will it just depend on the university?

On 2/18/2020 at 11:07 AM, ElJon said:

I was also contacted by Intel like two weeks ago. I didn't interview with them, but did receive an email yesterday that they will making decisions soon.

Did either of you hear back yet from Intel one way or the other? I already have an offer from a GEM University, but I also received an email from Intel that they are still reviewing applicants. 

On 2/28/2020 at 4:21 PM, Infrarojos said:

Does anyone know how the GEM fellowship works in conjunction with scholarships? Say a university accepts you for GEM and gives you a scholarship, is it one or the other, all together, is the scholarship revised or will it just depend on the university?

I was under the impression that other scholarships/fellowships were stackable with the GEM Fellowship. However, there are some schools that will take away a scholarship offer to you if it ends up being that you have been awarded a GEM Fellowship, since your tuition will already be covered. The best bet for you is to reach out to the GEM rep of the university in question and ask them.

On 2/29/2020 at 2:12 PM, IronSeoul said:

Did any of you guys have to contact the CS department directly to ask if they are willing to fund you as a GEM fellow?

I'll say contact the GEM rep for that university and have them look into it. From experience, many school departments don't really know much about the GEM Fellowship and will just refer to the school's GEM rep. I do know that schools are just waiting for the GEM employer selection process to be over before they start informing students if they are willing to fully fund them.

1 hour ago, stafo said:

I'll say contact the GEM rep for that university and have them look into it. From experience, many school departments don't really know much about the GEM Fellowship and will just refer to the school's GEM rep. I do know that schools are just waiting for the GEM employer selection process to be over before they start informing students if they are willing to fully fund them.

Okay, thanks for the information! I will do that.

On 2/18/2020 at 5:00 PM, fettuccine_avocado said:

Hi, I was wondering if you found out any further information regarding this because it came up for me as well. Does this show up on everyone's portal?

On 3/8/2020 at 4:14 PM, candy080 said:

Hi, I was wondering if you found out any further information regarding this because it came up for me as well. Does this show up on everyone's portal?

I have this as well but the names don't turn red for me.

On 2/18/2020 at 6:00 PM, fettuccine_avocado said:

The names show up for me as well, but don't turn red. The names that show up in that drop down box are the ones that you have changed to "Applicant Self-Reported Accepted" - it does not mean that they have extended an offer. To see which schools have actually given you offers, you hit the "Click here to update your record..." in the Grad School box (on the home page) and look under the column "offers".  

7 hours ago, ellokiwi said:

The names show up for me as well, but don't turn red. The names that show up in that drop down box are the ones that you have changed to "Applicant Self-Reported Accepted" - it does not mean that they have extended an offer. To see which schools have actually given you offers, you hit the "Click here to update your record..." in the Grad School box (on the home page) and look under the column "offers".  

Thank you so much for explaining this!