GEM Fellowship 2020

IronSeoul

Has anyone had the schools they applied to confirm their submitted application to GEM? I'm getting nervous because I applied to 4 of the GEM schools in November and none of them have confirmed yet?

16 hours ago, orchidaceae said:

Thank you so much! I'll be sure to do that. Did you personally email the employer or fill out the form on the website?

I emailed the employer directly from my personal email. Through LinkedIn/google, I compiled a list of names + emails of recruiters that I thought were either in charge of GEM for their company or could put me in contact with someone that helped select GEM interns. Then just shot an emailed and hoped for the best - it's always worth the try!

13 hours ago, mseapplicant said:

If I reject an offer from an employer, can I still be considered for the Associate Fellowship? 

From what I understand, no. If you turn down the internship then you turn down the entire fellowship (at least that's what I gathered from the webinar). Definitely reach out to GEM and clarify that with them, then correct me if I'm wrong. 

So I got my first university acceptance with funding but its not GEM funding. Should I email the school and let them know I applied to GEM? And even though I got in they never verified my University Status. I am super confused.

Hi everyone - If you have been accepted to a university, have they communicated if they will sponsor you through GEM? Just want to understand how the process would go. Thanks!

I just asked about the university funding today. The person from the GEM office told me to write an email to the GEM representative from the university introducing myself, stating if I have been accepted for an internship with a GEM employer and that I have been accepted to the university and then asking if he thinks the university would be willing to fund me as a GEM fellow

On 1/28/2020 at 7:32 PM, ellokiwi said:

@orchidaceae I would go for it. I reached out to an employer in December and got a positive response. I'll be interning with them this summer. Was able to accept offer on eGEM about a week ago, but still haven't gotten an official letter. 

Hey, Did you go through the portal or through the company?

On 1/29/2020 at 3:35 PM, ellokiwi said:

From what I understand, no. If you turn down the internship then you turn down the entire fellowship (at least that's what I gathered from the webinar). Definitely reach out to GEM and clarify that with them, then correct me if I'm wrong. 

From talking to GEM this is the case, disappointing my internship offer doesn't fit with my goals/interests and would wish to just be considered for associate! too bad they dont allow this.

19 hours ago, jazzyj said:

Does anyone know if the rule about only accepting one government sponsored fellowship(GRFP, NDSEG) apply to GEM?

I don't know what the exact rule is, but I know during the seminar that they said the GEM  fellowship was stackable. I think the problem  is if both have required internships, unless you are GEM university fellow. 

I got a offer today and it states:

The undersigned institution understands that they are naming this student a GEM University Fellow by signing this agreement and providing full mandatory tuition only. The undersigned institution can opt to name this student at a higher distinction, specifically GEM Associate Fellow, by further committing to provide a minimum annual stipend of $8,000 for a master's student or $16,000 for a PhD student.

Am I able to ask them from the GEM Associate Fellow or do I have to take the GEM University Fellow ?

Hi everyone, I already accepted an offer from a GEM Employer but I have yet to hear an official response from GEM and the employer said they have already contacted GEM about it. Does anyone know if the school verification has an impact on this? Half of the schools I applied to still haven't updated my status.

On 1/28/2020 at 4:32 PM, ellokiwi said:

@orchidaceae I would go for it. I reached out to an employer in December and got a positive response. I'll be interning with them this summer. Was able to accept offer on eGEM about a week ago, but still haven't gotten an official letter. 

I accepted an offer with an employer as well (the rep also specifically said they marked the eGEM system), but I still haven't gotten a notification through eGEM and its been 2 weeks. 

3 minutes ago, tonymartin said:

I accepted an offer with an employer as well (the rep also specifically said they marked the eGEM system), but I still haven't gotten a notification through eGEM and its been 2 weeks. 

I wouldn't stress too much over it. It took a month from me being notified I was selected to it actually showing up in eGEM. Hopefully it doesn't take that long for you though...

4 hours ago, Carsuelos said:

Hey everyone, so I was accepted to one of the graduate school programs that I applied for. In the acceptance letter there is nothing mentioning the gem fellowship. Should I reach out to the gem representative at the school to figure it out? 

Same here, I was wondering the same thing.

On 2/8/2020 at 8:07 AM, Carsuelos said:

Hey everyone, so I was accepted to one of the graduate school programs that I applied for. In the acceptance letter there is nothing mentioning the gem fellowship. Should I reach out to the gem representative at the school to figure it out? 

Yes, you definately should reach out to the GEM rep for that school. Same thing happened to me and I reached out and they told me they are waiting for the employer selection process to be over with before they start issuing out funding.