GEM Fellowship 2020

IronSeoul

2 hours ago, SunnyBlues said:

Just to be more specific, does the GEM consortium pay the university for tuition and 16K stipend for the student only for 1 year and the remaining years is taken up by the university?

I think GEM acts as the facilitator in funding. The university and employers create the full package, at least according to the FAQ they sent out a while back.

8 hours ago, SapranoShaft96 said:

But for the full fellows rejects the employer part need not apply, right? 

I think if you reject an employer sponsor then you are effectively rejecting the fellowship, if that's what you meant. Otherwise, GEM is solely the facilitator in different levels of the fellowship. If you have a Full Fellowship then the employer and university work together to create a full package (possibly with some help from GEM?). For associative and university levels it is solely  the university (and possibly GEM). 

19 hours ago, tonymartin said:

I think if you reject an employer sponsor then you are effectively rejecting the fellowship, if that's what you meant. Otherwise, GEM is solely the facilitator in different levels of the fellowship. If you have a Full Fellowship then the employer and university work together to create a full package (possibly with some help from GEM?). For associative and university levels it is solely  the university (and possibly GEM). 

I guess I phrased this poorly: did we already have to get a full ride in order to get the associate level/university level? Or do we leverage our gem application for that?

6 hours ago, SapranoShaft96 said:

I guess I phrased this poorly: did we already have to get a full ride in order to get the associate level/university level? Or do we leverage our gem application for that?

If you have been selected by an employer then yes leverage your GEM app, otherwise I believe (correct me someone if I'm wrong) the universities will reach out expressing their interest in a university/associate fellowship. Though I don't see anything wrong with reaching out to the university for associate/university.

From GEM website

For PhD Students:

"During the first academic year of being awarded the GEM Fellowship, the GEM Consortium remits a stipend and a cost of instruction grant to the institution where the fellow is enrolled. Thereafter, up to the fifth year of the doctoral program, continued financial support of the GEM Fellow is borne by the GEM University through alternative sources of funding such as institutional awards, assistantships or other external fellowships. " - http://www.gemfellowship.org/students/gem-fellowship-program/

Basically GEM pays for a year and the university covers the rest is how I'm reading this.

Out of pure curiosity, whose internship hasn't been cancelled yet? I'm still a little worried about us potentially losing our funding if we don't end up interning for our emloyers this summer. I have already signed my employment contract and received email confirmation from my first choice school that they are willing to accept me as a Full Fellow before all these virus shenanigans started.

21 hours ago, stafo said:

Out of pure curiosity, whose internship hasn't been cancelled yet? I'm still a little worried about us potentially losing our funding if we don't end up interning for our emloyers this summer. I have already signed my employment contract and received email confirmation from my first choice school that they are willing to accept me as a Full Fellow before all these virus shenanigans started.

My employer recently reached out saying that so far the internship program will proceed as planned. I think GEM and the employers are actively working to find a solution for this years interns.

On 4/2/2020 at 4:50 PM, stafo said:

In my unpopular opinion, employers (even those not through GEM) who cancelled summer internships in early March jumped the gun. I feel like they could have at least put people on standby with updates on the internship as time went on, or considered pushing back the start date like mine did.

On 4/2/2020 at 1:50 PM, stafo said:

My employer said they would update us mid April to tell us if the internship was still happening this year. If not, we'll do it in 2021.

On 4/5/2020 at 10:52 AM, jinxes said:

So my top choice university status changed to 'Willing to accept as GEM Fellow' but I was never really picked by any employer does this mean I could be considered for an Associate or University Fellow?

I'm pretty sure, but I would reach out to GEM rep at the university to be sure. 

On 4/5/2020 at 12:52 PM, jinxes said:

So my top choice university status changed to 'Willing to accept as GEM Fellow' but I was never really picked by any employer does this mean I could be considered for an Associate or University Fellow?

Long time lurker. I saw this and I decided to check my statuses. To my surprise, I my top choice status also said "Willing to accept as GEM Fellow". This definitely means we are not full fellows, but I am not sure if it is an Associate Fellow, or GEM Fellow. I guess now we wait.

But to answer your question, yes, you are being considered for Associate or University Fellow.

16 hours ago, bapichulo said:

Long time lurker. I saw this and I decided to check my statuses. To my surprise, I my top choice status also said "Willing to accept as GEM Fellow". This definitely means we are not full fellows, but I am not sure if it is an Associate Fellow, or GEM Fellow. I guess now we wait.

But to answer your question, yes, you are being considered for Associate or University Fellow.

I would agree with this. I signed a contract with a university that now shows "Willing to Accept as GEM Fellow" to become a GEM University fellow.

Does anyone know if we have to take further steps in the GEM portal to show we have accepted the offer or does signing the document suffice?

On 4/7/2020 at 2:46 PM, Infrarojos said:

I would agree with this. I signed a contract with a university that now shows "Willing to Accept as GEM Fellow" to become a GEM University fellow.

Does anyone know if we have to take further steps in the GEM portal to show we have accepted the offer or does signing the document suffice?

On the GEM portal there's a contract that you, the GEM rep of the university, and a GEM excutive director will electronically sign and I think that is the final step. I have already signed and my university GEM rep has already signed but it's the GEM executive director that is behind and taking a long time to sign their part.

On 4/7/2020 at 5:46 PM, Infrarojos said:

I actually didn't sign anything as of yet. I just got accepted. Then a week later on the GEM website, it showed that the university was "Willing to Accept as GEM Fellow".

I have one school thats offering me Full tuition and this school also said they would considering me for GEM. But if I couldnt be funded as a GEM Fellow, the school would still give me the full tuition grant. Then I have another school that accepted me two weeks ago and the GEM website says "Willing to Accept as GEM Fellow".....

I am in a pickle yall. I really want the second school but theres so much uncertainty and I already emailed the GEM Rep when I got accepted into the school. I guess now I wait?

3 minutes ago, bapichulo said:

I actually didn't sign anything as of yet. I just got accepted. Then a week later on the GEM website, it showed that the university was "Willing to Accept as GEM Fellow".

I have one school thats offering me Full tuition and this school also said they would considering me for GEM. But if I couldnt be funded as a GEM Fellow, the school would still give me the full tuition grant. Then I have another school that accepted me two weeks ago and the GEM website says "Willing to Accept as GEM Fellow".....

I am in a pickle yall. I really want the second school but theres so much uncertainty and I already emailed the GEM Rep when I got accepted into the school. I guess now I wait?

From my expereince that "Willing to Accept as GEM Fellow" means something different to each university GEM rep. For example, my first choice university put that for me but they were only going to accept me as a GEM Fellow if and only if I was selected by a GEM employer to be a Full Fellow and not an Associate or University Fellow. Another university I appied to put "Willing to Accept as GEM Fellow" for me and they genuinely meant that they are willing to accept me as a Associate Fellow even if I have not been selected by a university. 

My advice to you is to continue being in contact with the GEM reps for the universities and get all the information you need from them. 

6 minutes ago, stafo said:

From my expereince that "Willing to Accept as GEM Fellow" means something different to each university GEM rep. For example, my first choice university put that for me but they were only going to accept me as a GEM Fellow if and only if I was selected by a GEM employer to be a Full Fellow and not an Associate or University Fellow. Another university I appied to put "Willing to Accept as GEM Fellow" for me and they genuinely meant that they are willing to accept me as a Associate Fellow even if I have not been selected by a university. 

My advice to you is to continue being in contact with the GEM reps for the universities and get all the information you need from them. 

Thanks for the advice! I am not trying to get my hopes up, so I have been thinking of it as they are just willing to accept me as a fellow, but theres a big pool of other students that they are picking right now. But I will definitely email the GEM Rep now. Thanks again!

On 4/5/2020 at 12:52 PM, jinxes said:

I asked the institution's department about GEM funding and they said they're waiting response from another scholarship I applied to. If I don't get it they'll make me a University Fellow!

I was unaware that GEM Associate Fellows (Masters) only get a $8000 annual stipend I thought it was 16k. Welp.... Looks like I am accepting this GRA/GTA position

1 hour ago, individual1111 said:

Has anyone still not heard a decision from their preferred university? I have been selected by a company to intern this summer. I was hoping to hear the uni's decision by March, but they keep pushing things back.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you.