Fall 2020 Applications

19 hours ago, amanda_rensch said:

Hi! My name is Amanda and I am currently a senior studying Speech Language Pathology as my undergraduate degree at Saint Mary's College in Notre Dame, Indiana. I applied to over 15 graduate programs (I'm just finishing my last one for Penn State University). I was wondering if there is anyone who knows anything good/bad, pros/cons for each of these schools I applied to? I would also like to know if anyone knows when decisions will be sent out. I can't keep checking my email like over 100 times a day?

Also, I am from San Antonio, Texas and know a little bit about the program at UTHSCSA. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!

1. Vanderbilt University
  2. Boston University
  3. UCONN
  4. Penn State University
  5. University of South Carolina
  6. Marquette University
  7. University of Texas at Austin
  8. PITT
  9. Sacred Heart University
  10. Michigan State University
  11. University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
  12. University of Wisconsin-Madison
  13. University of Minnesota
  14. University of Arkansas
  15. University of Tennessee
  16. Saint Mary's College

Accepted / Interview / Waitlist  / Rejected / Not heard back yet

GPA: 3.93 out of 4.0

GRE: 298 (Verbal: 150 / Quantitative: 148 / AW 5.0)

Major: Speech Language Pathology

Minors: Neuroscience & Psychology

Hey girl! I also applied to south carolina and just got my unofficial acceptance yesterday! I got offered a research assistantship there

On 11/19/2019 at 12:35 PM, MadisonMachelle said:

I just started submitting my apps and I realized that nobody has created a page for the Fall 2020 application cycle. Good luck everyone!! I'd love to hear if anyone else is applying to the same schools :) 

im also applying to CSU long beach !!! good luck !!!

On 1/27/2020 at 7:44 PM, amanda_rensch said:

Hi! My name is Amanda and I am currently a senior studying Speech Language Pathology as my undergraduate degree at Saint Mary's College in Notre Dame, Indiana. I applied to over 15 graduate programs (I'm just finishing my last one for Penn State University). I was wondering if there is anyone who knows anything good/bad, pros/cons for each of these schools I applied to? I would also like to know if anyone knows when decisions will be sent out. I can't keep checking my email like over 100 times a day?

Also, I am from San Antonio, Texas and know a little bit about the program at UTHSCSA. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!

1. Vanderbilt University
  2. Boston University
  3. UCONN
  4. Penn State University
  5. University of South Carolina
  6. Marquette University
  7. University of Texas at Austin
  8. PITT
  9. Sacred Heart University
  10. Michigan State University
  11. University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
  12. University of Wisconsin-Madison
  13. University of Minnesota
  14. University of Arkansas
  15. University of Tennessee
  16. Saint Mary's College

Accepted / Interview / Waitlist  / Rejected / Not heard back yet

GPA: 3.93 out of 4.0

GRE: 298 (Verbal: 150 / Quantitative: 148 / AW 5.0)

Major: Speech Language Pathology

Minors: Neuroscience & Psychology

Hello, I also applied to UTHSCSA. I currently am completing leveling courses at UNT and have interest in UTHSCSA due to their emphasis on medical SLPs. Could you tell me any more information or opinions you have on it? 

13 hours ago, Slpabbie25 said:

Hello, I also applied to UTHSCSA. I currently am completing leveling courses at UNT and have interest in UTHSCSA due to their emphasis on medical SLPs. Could you tell me any more information or opinions you have on it? 

The reason I'm applying to UTHSCSA is 1) because it is at home and about 10 minutes away from where I live 2) emphasis on medical speech pathology 3) I possibly may live in SA and it would be nice to have connections there when starting out a new job

My concerns however are that 1) there are no GRE requirements (seems odd) 2) it is not accredited and is VERY new

I know someone who attends the dental school there, and says the facilities are super nice and really up to date!

My goal is to be a SLP in the medical field so that is why I am interested in attending UTHSCSA. Do you know what makes it so different from attending other programs? Do they only do their clinical hours in the hospital setting or are their classes different? 

UNT is very educational based so I feel like I’m not learning as much as what I could if I went somewhere that was medical focused. 

I applied to North Carolina Central University, Western Carolina University, Appalachian State University, and Eastern New Mexico University. I only applied to schools that I could realistically attend, but I'm really worried I won't get in. Good luck to everyone!

7 hours ago, Slpabbie25 said:

My goal is to be a SLP in the medical field so that is why I am interested in attending UTHSCSA. Do you know what makes it so different from attending other programs? Do they only do their clinical hours in the hospital setting or are their classes different? 

UNT is very educational based so I feel like I’m not learning as much as what I could if I went somewhere that was medical focused. 

UTHSCSA is more medical based. Currently, I am minoring in Neuroscience and taking classes like Medical Rehabilitation and Adult Language Disorders to help me prepare for this. 

Clinical hours are all off campus, as their is no on campus clinic, so you may do them anywhere!

On thing that I have heard from a current student is that there are no actual labs, they only have simulation labs. Class sizes are very small, so if you're coming from a big program, it might take some getting used to. 

Undergraduate speech pathology is a lot of basic knowledge. I feel that the educational vs. medical aspect gets evened out in grad school. However, I do think there are certain classes and areas of study you can focus on to help with whatever path you are looking to

14 hours ago, HaleyF said:

Hi,

I graduated a few years ago CSD major, now I am an SLPA applying again! Anyone else an assistant applying?

I am an assistant! I graduated in 2018 and have loved my work as an assistant but I’m ready to go back to school and have my own caseload! 

55 minutes ago, HaleyF said:

Hi! Where are you an assistant? I have my own caseload and do direct therapy, only thing I am not allowed to do is swallowing and evals/re-evals. 

But agreed I am ready to go back to school!

I’m from MA! I also do direct therapy!

On 2/2/2020 at 6:57 PM, Blondie! said:

I applied to North Carolina Central University, Western Carolina University, Appalachian State University, and Eastern New Mexico University. I only applied to schools that I could realistically attend, but I'm really worried I won't get in. Good luck to everyone!

I also applied to NCCU! Good luck! 

I applied to:

• University of Louisville
  • University of Kentucky
  • Saint Louis University
  • Southern Illinois University - Edwardsville
  • Maryville University

(Applied / Accepted / Waitlisted / Rejected)

UofL, SLU, and UK are my top choices. 

My stats are:

• 3.9 CSD GPA
  • 3.5 overall undergrad
  • GRE: 158 V / 158 Q / 4.0 AW
  • I'm a psych major graduating this spring, but have concurrently taken speech pathology prerequisites during my undergrad so I can go straight into grad school without taking a post-bac/leveling year. 

Experiences: 

• Volunteer at therapy private practice for 5 months
  • Coordinated a fundraiser walk for kids with childhood apraxia of speech
  • Shadowed multiple SLPS (cochlear implant team, cleft palate institute, private practice, early intervention)
  • Mentor for kids from at-risk schools

Good luck everyone!!

Just got an interview for Boston University. I am currently in South Bend, Indiana and am finishing up my last year of undergrad. In the email BU sent out, it says on-campus interviews are highly recommended, but Skype interviews are available. Obviously, it is not very convenient for me to fly out but I am now highly considering it on the basis that it might hurt my chances of getting in if I don't. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

On 11/19/2019 at 4:39 PM, alyssafrancis said:

Which schools are you applying to? I have submitted one so far and I’m about to submit two more after I get paid tomorrow. 

Can I ask when you heard back from the University of South Carolina

On 2/3/2020 at 10:39 PM, HaleyF said:

Hi,

I graduated a few years ago CSD major, now I am an SLPA applying again! Anyone else an assistant applying?

I am! I graduated in May 2019 but I am applying this cycle. Took a year off to work and save up :)

On 2/6/2020 at 1:18 PM, amanda_rensch said:

Just got an interview for Boston University. I am currently in South Bend, Indiana and am finishing up my last year of undergrad. In the email BU sent out, it says on-campus interviews are highly recommended, but Skype interviews are available. Obviously, it is not very convenient for me to fly out but I am now highly considering it on the basis that it might hurt my chances of getting in if I don't. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Congrats on the interview!!g
I'm also interviewing at BU! From their email, I got the impression that that the reason they want people to come in for the interview is so we can get a better idea of what the program is like, talk to current students, and tour their facilities. I don't think that going or not going to the in-person interview will affect your chances of getting in--it would be really crappy to discriminate against people who couldn't make it because of classes or work. But, it might still be in your best interest to go, just because it would be nice to get a feel for the program. I think you'll end up fine either way!

18 hours ago, roseroserose said:

Congrats on the interview!!g
I'm also interviewing at BU! From their email, I got the impression that that the reason they want people to come in for the interview is so we can get a better idea of what the program is like, talk to current students, and tour their facilities. I don't think that going or not going to the in-person interview will affect your chances of getting in--it would be really crappy to discriminate against people who couldn't make it because of classes or work. But, it might still be in your best interest to go, just because it would be nice to get a feel for the program. I think you'll end up fine either way!

I decided to fly out to Boston just so my chances wouldn't be hurt and so I can actually get a feel fro the campus and the city! I'm really excited to go!

2 hours ago, amanda_rensch said:

I decided to fly out to Boston just so my chances wouldn't be hurt and so I can actually get a feel fro the campus and the city! I'm really excited to go!

Awesome! Boston's a great place to be a student--I moved here in 2011 for my undergrad, and I just keep coming back. If you've never been, let me know if you want/need any recommendations for things to do or see!

4 hours ago, roseroserose said:

Awesome! Boston's a great place to be a student--I moved here in 2011 for my undergrad, and I just keep coming back. If you've never been, let me know if you want/need any recommendations for things to do or see!

That's so wonderful to hear! I am a figure skater and hope to skate on BU's figure skating teams. Any recommendations for places to see or things to do would be wonderful!! Thank you!

39 minutes ago, amanda_rensch said:

That's so wonderful to hear! I am a figure skater and hope to skate on BU's figure skating teams. Any recommendations for places to see or things to do would be wonderful!! Thank you!

If you  like museums, the Isabella Stewart Gardner is my favorite in Boston--it's a really eclectic art collection and a unique building. There's also the Museum of Fine Art in the same area, which is also nice, but a more typical museum. Plus, I think both do student discounts! 

Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market are kind of touristy, but historic, and worth going to, especially on a weekend. There's an open-air market in the area every weekend, called Haymarket, and it's an experience. Kind of overwhelming sometimes, with lots of shouting, but definitely an interesting (and kind of the opposite of touristy) thing to check out.

The North End is really nice, especially for Italian food--literally any restaurant will have good food! There's also a great little bakery called Bova's with amazing cannoli. 

Also, if you have to take the T to your interview, I really recommend leaving about fifteen minutes earlier than you think you have to. BU is off the green line, which is notoriously unreliable :)

Do you know if you're interviewing Friday or Saturday?

1 hour ago, speechpathologystudent099 said:

Has anyone heard anything from UCONN? I've heard from most of the other schools I applied to but haven't heard anything from them. I saw on their website that they try to send out decisions in March but I didn't know if they were holding interviews or not.

I applied to UCONN and I haven't heard anything either. I don't believe that they have an interview.