Fall 2020 Applications

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this is a bit off topic--I graduated in field a few years ago and am now applying for the fall 2020 cohort. Can anyone give me a general idea of the timeline for applications? I'm nearing the end of having everything paid and requested but don't have any of my letters back. Am I behind at this point? When should I start to get nervous if things aren't submitted? My earliest deadline is 2/1.

Hi guys! I'm applying for fall 2020 as well. I haven't submitted my applications yet but will in the next week or so after I finalize my essays! Let me know if anyone else is applying to the same schools/knows anything about any of these schools :)

Major: Speech Language Hearing Science

GPA 3.27 // GRE: 146 V 157 Q 4.5 AW

Applying to: University of North Texas (SLP), University of Texas-Austin (Aud), University of Texas-Dallas (Aud), Texas Woman's University (SLP), University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences (SLP), University of Iowa (Aud), UT-Health Science Center at San Antonio (SLP)

Applied /Interview / Accepted / Waitlisted / Rejected 

Edited by futurespeechie2

On 11/19/2019 at 1:37 PM, MsFutureSLP said:

Hey Madison! I’m applying for the fall as well! I’m an out of field applicant :) 

Me too! I’m terrified that’ll knock me back, so I’ve done a lot more observation/volunteering in addition to my leveling courses in hopes that my undergrad major will work. 

9 hours ago, dorseyspeech4 said:

hey @futurespeechie2 I would reconsider applying to UTSA and St. Augustine, those schools aren't accredited and I believe won't be for awhile. If you happen to get your degree from either of these schools, your degree will basically be pointless. Just an fyi!

Actually, from what I've read both on this site and on ASHA, if you get a degree from a school that is a candidate for accreditation, even if they end up not getting accredited your degree still counts. Programs have to jump through some hoops and have a good plan to even get to candidacy status, so it's not like they're bad programs, just new, and ASHA understands that. It might be different, though, if you go to an accredited school that later loses accreditation, but I don't think that happens too often. Schools definitely get put on probation but are typically able to turn things around before they lose accreditation.

2 hours ago, bibliophile222 said:

Actually, from what I've read both on this site and on ASHA, if you get a degree from a school that is a candidate for accreditation, even if they end up not getting accredited your degree still counts. Programs have to jump through some hoops and have a good plan to even get to candidacy status, so it's not like they're bad programs, just new, and ASHA understands that. It might be different, though, if you go to an accredited school that later loses accreditation, but I don't think that happens too often. Schools definitely get put on probation but are typically able to turn things around before they lose accreditation.

This is correct! I am applying to two schools in "candidacy" status. The degree you would earn from either of these schools is just as valuable as a degree from a "fully accredited" school. Essentially, schools in candidacy statues are accredited, they're just new. A new program needs to be in candidacy status for a minimum of 3-5 years, in which they are closely watched and criticized to ensure things are operating correctly. After that, nothing really changes except that they are given "accreditation status". 

On 12/5/2019 at 7:50 AM, futurespeechie2 said:

Hi guys! I'm applying for fall 2020 as well. I haven't submitted my applications yet but will in the next week or so after I finalize my essays! Let me know if anyone else is applying to the same schools/knows anything about any of these schools :)

Ohh interesting! thank you all for bringing up that point, do you think if I asked my advisor or called their admissions office I would be able to find out for sure if it was worth applying there? 

On 12/4/2019 at 8:45 AM, mountaingirl135 said:

Sorry if this is a bit off topic--I graduated in field a few years ago and am now applying for the fall 2020 cohort. Can anyone give me a general idea of the timeline for applications? I'm nearing the end of having everything paid and requested but don't have any of my letters back. Am I behind at this point? When should I start to get nervous if things aren't submitted? My earliest deadline is 2/1.

Certain programs want certain things. Like university of South Carolina’s application deadline is a certain date but they want you to submit before thanksgiving. It’s all different but usually professors don’t do letters of rec until closer to the deadline

My number one choice is Colorado boulder 

I’m out of field and have a bit of a lower GPA (3.3), and I think my GRE will be lower (150s) and taking it soon. But have been shadowing and think I have a strong personal statement. Fingers crossed. 

On 11/19/2019 at 2:23 PM, futurespeechpath1 said:

I'm applying this fall! I already submitted my applications, just haven't submitted transcripts since I'm waiting on fall grades. Good luck to everyone applying!

Hi futurespeechpath1, we're applying to two of the same schools (Midwestern and St. Xavier)! Good luck!

Hi everyone! My name is Laurel, I am applying to 8 schools here on the west coast and would to hear how all of your application process journeys are coming along. I applied last cycle but had to defer a year for financial reasons. During this time off I have become employed as a SLP-A. This year, I am ready and very hopeful. Nice to meet you all, good luck! 

Majors: Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology

Overall GPA: 3.7 // CSD GPA: 3.4  // GRE: 147 V 144 Q 3 AW

Applying to: San Diego State University, CSU Long Beach, CSU San Marcos, Fresno State University, CSU Chico, Arizona State University, University of Nevada (Reno), University of Hawaii at Manoa

7 minutes ago, laurelrcarpenter said:

Hi everyone! My name is Laurel, I am applying to 8 schools here on the west coast and would to hear how all of your application process journeys are coming along. I applied last cycle but had to defer a year for financial reasons. During this time off I have become employed as a SLP-A. This year, I am ready and very hopeful. Nice to meet you all, good luck! 

Majors: Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology

Overall GPA: 3.7 // CSD GPA: 3.4  // GRE: 147 V 144 Q 3 AW

Applying to: San Diego State University, CSU Long Beach, CSU San Marcos, Fresno State University, CSU Chico, Arizona State University, University of Nevada (Reno), University of Hawaii at Manoa

Hi!! Looks like we're applying to roughly the same scores! How do you feel about the pre-reqs that all the CSU schools require? I feel like I should try to take some online? 

26 minutes ago, MadisonMachelle said:

Hi!! Looks like we're applying to roughly the same scores! How do you feel about the pre-reqs that all the CSU schools require? I feel like I should try to take some online? 

Ahhhh that is so exciting! It's nice to feel not so alone in this process. ☺️ I received my undergraduate degree from a CSU, so all of my pre-reqs have been met. I would totally recommend taking them online if you haven't met all of them- BUT, I would check with the departments first before you fork out more money for courses that they might be able to look over if you haven't taken them yet. 

Edit: Seeing now that  you attended SDSU. I should say that my AAC and Aural Rehab pre-reqs were not met where I went to school (CSU East Bay) so I was honest and let them know. I have heard from some other members of my cohort that not having them wouldn't be an end-all/be-all for your application. So, I would definitely check-in with the department and explain to them what your school specifically offered and did not offer, and get their stance on it. 

I'd love to chat sometime about the process so we can bounce off of each other. 

Laurel 

Edited by laurelrcarpenter

On 12/6/2019 at 8:36 PM, rkam said:

I'm still finalizing my list of schools I'm applying to! 

I attended CSUEB  for undergrad, they have a very small, but very dedicated department in terms of opportunities for their students. The faculty within the department is first class. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Joining the boat as we anxiously wait to hear back from grad schools. I just wrapped up all my applications - waiting is already so hard :(

Major: Communication Sciences and Disorders - Speech-Language Pathology

GPA: Overall 3.78, CSD 3.9  // GRE: 148 V 155 Q 4.0 AW

Applying to: The University of Texas at Dallas (UTD), The University of Texas at Austin (UT), Texas Christian University (TCU), UT Health San Antonio, Texas Woman's University (TWU)

On 12/5/2019 at 7:50 AM, futurespeechie2 said:

Major: Speech Language Hearing Science

GPA 3.27 // GRE: 146 V 157 Q 4.5 AW

Applying to: University of North Texas (SLP), University of Texas-Austin (Aud), University of Texas-Dallas (Aud), Texas Woman's University (SLP), University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences (SLP), University of Iowa (Aud), UT-Health Science Center at San Antonio (SLP)

Hey! I'm also applying to UTD, UT Austin, TWU, and UT Health SA! :)

Hi I'm applying to UTD, UTHSC SA, UTH, Tennessee State, and Texas State. I'm in the process of still applying. I was just wondering if anyone know if UTD focuses more on the experience with the major or the averages. All the schools actually.