Fall 2020 Applications

15 hours ago, LovelyySLP said:

Hi I'm applying to UTD, UTHSC SA, UTH, Tennessee State, and Texas State. I'm in the process of still applying. I was just wondering if anyone know if UTD focuses more on the experience with the major or the averages. All the schools actually.

I feel like it's mostly the overall applicant! 

I am only applying to Indiana University (Jan 15 due date). If I am rejected/waitlisted I am going to apply to Akron/Cincinnati which have later dates.

Out of Field, 160 V/152 Q/ 4.5 AW

3.71 Overall GPA,

4.0 CSD

Just took my GRE: How slim are my chances? 

Applying for the following schools:

• Nevada State College
• University of Arizona
• University of Northern Iowa

My stats:

GRE: QR | 144 VR | 140 AW | TBA [Taken 12/31/19]
GPA: Major: 4.0, cumulative: 3.9
Experiences:
• Worked as a tutor at college (1 year)
• Shadowed SNF SLP (1 month)
• NSSLHA Chapter president (1 year)
• Trilingual: Tagalog, English, American Sign Language

I'd appreciate the feedback and the advice you guys can give me. The deadline for the schools I am applying for is on January 15th, so I really don't have a chance to take the GRE again. I just wanted to know how slim my chances are with these things I'm bringing into my application.

On 1/3/2020 at 7:38 PM, 2ls said:

I am only applying to Indiana University (Jan 15 due date). If I am rejected/waitlisted I am going to apply to Akron/Cincinnati which have later dates.

Out of Field, 160 V/152 Q/ 4.5 AW

3.71 Overall GPA,

4.0 CSD

Indiana has a great program! If I weren't from Bloomington I definitely would aim for their program. If you have any questions feel free to message! My dad actually works in the department.

5 hours ago, Queene92 said:

Indiana has a great program! If I weren't from Bloomington I definitely would aim for their program. If you have any questions feel free to message! My dad actually works in the department.

I am from Bloomington as well. Small world. I would love to connect!

I just submitted my last applications today!! Feeling very jittery:) 

I'm applying to Maryville University, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville (SIUE), East Tennessee State University, and Concordia University Wisconsin!!

17 hours ago, sleepyslp2be said:

I just submitted my last applications today!! Feeling very jittery:) 

I'm applying to Maryville University, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville (SIUE), East Tennessee State University, and Concordia University Wisconsin!!

Congratulations!!! 

Hey y'all, I am applying for Fall 2020 as well. I made an account on here almost 4 years ago asking for advice about how to get into this field. I was about to graduate college with a completely unrelated degree and the advice I got here helped me figure out a plan to pursue a career as an SLP. After doing a post-bacc online while working full time I'm finally ready to put the plan into action!!! It has been a long road but I see the light at the end of the tunnel!

I applied to UGA, Georgia State, Georgia Southern, West Georgia, UTHSC, Florida Atlantic University, University of Central Florida, Tennessee State, and U. of South Carolina. My biggest fear is getting rejected from every single school after all these years and going into debt to take prerequisites. Fingers crossed!

If anyone is curious which schools will overlook a below-average GPA for good GRE scores, I'll let you know where I get accepted lol

GPA: 3.45

GRE: 169V 155Q 5.5 AW

Good luck everyone!

Edited by wodin
English is hard!

I'm applying to these schools: Cal State Fullerton, Cal State LA, University of Redlands, Loma Linda, Chapman, and Washington State.

GPA: 3.79

GRE: 155V 149Q 4.5AW

Experience:
- Research experience working with a COMD professor
- Tutoring students with disabilities (2 years)
- Volunteering with stroke patients who have aphasia under an SLP 
- Shadowing 
- Worked at a prison 

Good luck everyone! :) 

Edited by slpvee

Good luck to all of you! I'm not seeing much overlap in schools with anyone else (I'm not applying to any schools in CA), but I applied to:

University of Texas-Austin, University of Arizona, University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, University of Wisconsin-Madison, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, St. Xavier University, University of Washington (MedSLP), Vanderbilt University, University of Illinois

Overall GPA 3.9 || CSD GPA 4.0 (originally out-of-field, currently in a leveling program)

GRE 166V, 164Q, 5.5AW 

I submitted my last applications on December 31 and now I'm sitting here anxiously refreshing all of the pages in the hopes that something will change even though I know programs aren't sending out decisions for at least another month...

• 2 weeks later...

@laurelrcarpenterGood luck! We have the EXACT same stats, except I had a 3.4 cumulative GPA and a 3.7 CSD gpa. I'm applying to Western Michigan, Grand Valley State University, Radford University and Northern Arizona (part time summers and full time). Let me know how the interview goes!

Hello everyone! I have already sent in all of my applications for Fall 2020 admittance and wanted to add my schools to this growing list! I noticed that people included their majors, GPA, GRE Scores, as well as a color key so I did the same. Good luck to everyone applying!

Major: Human Rehabilitation Services with a Concentration in Communication Sciences and Disorders

GPA: Overall 3.80, Major 3.90 GRE Scores: 155 V 157 Q 5.0 AW

Applying to: Boston University, Emerson College, MGH Institute, Northeastern University, Worcester State University

Applied, Interview, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected 

On 1/22/2020 at 11:15 AM, Jenny Hebert said:

@laurelrcarpenterGood luck! We have the EXACT same stats, except I had a 3.4 cumulative GPA and a 3.7 CSD gpa. I'm applying to Western Michigan, Grand Valley State University, Radford University and Northern Arizona (part time summers and full time). Let me know how the interview goes!

Oh wow! That's awesome! Literally the reverse of each other's GPA lol! I messaged you. :)

Finally sent in the last of my applications! I really hate the waiting but I'm feeling hopeful and trying to avoid obsessing. I'm currently finishing up my last semester of undergrad and work as a research assistant at my current school. I'm sort of an out of major applicant since my major was self-designed and I don't have all of the pre-reqs done, so I'm applying to three year programs with the hope of finishing early. Good luck everybody! 

Major: Speech and Language Science, Minor: Latin

Overall GPA: 3.96// GRE: 160 V 149 Q 4.5 AW

Applying to: Purdue University, Syracuse University, Temple University, UConn, SUNY Buffalo, UMaine, and University of Rhode Island

Applied /Interview /Accepted /Waitlisted /Rejected

I'm applying to 11 schools, both on east coast and west coast. I currently have two interviews, one at Salus and one at Pacific U in Oregon. Good luck to everyone! 

Biola U, Chapman, University of Redlands, Cal Baptist, Salus University, Temple university, Western Washington, Pacific University, North Carolina Central, La Salle, Southern Connecticut 

Applied, Interview, Acceptance, Weightlist, Rejection

Stats:

Cum GPA: 3.55 

CSD GPA: 3.7 

GRE: AW:5, Verbal: 155, Quant: 151

Edited by laurelstock

Has anyone heard from Indiana State about an interview? I know that they watched my youtube video last Tuesday so I thought for sure would've gotten an email to interview sometime last week. 

Hi! My name is Amanda and I am currently a senior studying Speech Language Pathology as my undergraduate degree at Saint Mary's College in Notre Dame, Indiana. I applied to over 15 graduate programs (I'm just finishing my last one for Penn State University). I was wondering if there is anyone who knows anything good/bad, pros/cons for each of these schools I applied to? I would also like to know if anyone knows when decisions will be sent out. I can't keep checking my email like over 100 times a day?

Also, I am from San Antonio, Texas and know a little bit about the program at UTHSCSA. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!

1. Vanderbilt University
  2. Boston University
  3. UCONN
  4. Penn State University
  5. University of South Carolina
  6. Marquette University
  7. University of Texas at Austin
  8. PITT
  9. Sacred Heart University
  10. Michigan State University
  11. University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
  12. University of Wisconsin-Madison
  13. University of Minnesota
  14. University of Arkansas
  15. University of Tennessee
  16. Saint Mary's College

Accepted / Interview / Waitlist  / Rejected / Not heard back yet

GPA: 3.93 out of 4.0

GRE: 298 (Verbal: 150 / Quantitative: 148 / AW 5.0)

Major: Speech Language Pathology

Minors: Neuroscience & Psychology

Edited by amanda_rensch
I wanted to add more info and clarify some info

44 minutes ago, amanda_rensch said:

Hi! My name is Amanda and I am currently a senior studying Speech Language Pathology as my undergraduate degree at Saint Mary's College in Notre Dame, Indiana. I applied to over 15 graduate programs (I'm just finishing my last one for Penn State University). I was wondering if there is anyone who knows anything good/bad, pros/cons for each of these schools I applied to? I would also like to know if anyone knows when decisions will be sent out. I can't keep checking my email like over 100 times a day?

Also, I am from San Antonio, Texas and know a little bit about the program at UTHSCSA. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!

1. Vanderbilt University
  2. Boston University
  3. UCONN
  4. Penn State University
  5. University of South Carolina
  6. Marquette University
  7. University of Texas at Austin
  8. PITT
  9. Sacred Heart University
  10. Michigan State University
  11. University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
  12. University of Wisconsin-Madison
  13. University of Minnesota
  14. University of Arkansas
  15. University of Tennessee
  16. Saint Mary's College

Accepted / Interview / Waitlist  / Rejected / Not heard back yet

GPA: 3.93 out of 4.0

GRE: 298 (Verbal: 150 / Quantitative: 148 / AW 5.0)

Major: Speech Language Pathology

Minors: Neuroscience & Psychology

Hi Amanda! Im applying to UTHSCSA too. Im stressing because I just submitted my application through CSDCAS and did not realize it would take up to 4 weeks to be verified! can you or anyone tell me how long it took for you to be verified after submission?

9 hours ago, laurelstock said:

I'm applying to 11 schools, both on east coast and west coast. I currently have two interviews, one at Salus and one at Pacific U in Oregon. Good luck to everyone! 

Biola U, Chapman, University of Redlands, Cal Baptist, Salus University, Temple university, Western Washington, Pacific University, North Carolina Central, La Salle, Southern Connecticut 

Applied, Interview, Acceptance, Weightlist, Rejection

Stats:

Cum GPA: 3.55 

CSD GPA: 3.7 

GRE: AW:5, Verbal: 155, Quant: 151

Hey, we applied to 3 of the same schools. Good luck on your interviews! I hope I hear from Pacific University soon. I have a good friend going there now and she is having a great time.

12 hours ago, emichellew said:

Hi Amanda! Im applying to UTHSCSA too. Im stressing because I just submitted my application through CSDCAS and did not realize it would take up to 4 weeks to be verified! can you or anyone tell me how long it took for you to be verified after submission?

Oh awesome! Does your application say completed in CSDCAS? Not verified?

Mine did not take long at all to be verified, maybe a week or so...

13 hours ago, emichellew said:

Depending if you have everything in (transcripts, GRE scores) mine took less than a day to be verfied