Audiology Applicants 2020

aud2be2024

2 minutes ago, allaboutears said:

Hi everyone! I was in your shoes this time last year!:) I interviewed at James Madison, Towson, Montclair (Skype). I also applied to Pitt, Indiana University Bloomington, UNC, and UMASS. Please feel free to message me any questions you have!

Hi!! I am interviewing at JMU soon! Any tips??  

Thanks for your help :) 

Edited by earssss

Yes! I really enjoyed JMU's interview day. When I arrived, I received a packet that included my schedule for the day. We had 15 min. interviews with three professors in addition to a 15 min. interview with Dr. Rout. Throughout the day, current students were around to talk and answer questions. They gave us pizza halfway through the day while talking some more with current students. At the end of the day, we sat around a table and Dr. Rout as well as other faculty members gave an overview of the program. Some advice: the class sizes are small (6-7) and they really try to form a group that will get along with each other and work together well. For this reason, I feel they look to see how you get along with the others in attendance. Also, JMU has an in-house clinic. The nearest hospital is about two hours away. Something to think about as you consider your career goals and how you will compensate for JMU not being located near a hospital. Overall, it was very laid back and I had some really great conversations! 

Edited by allaboutears

27 minutes ago, allaboutears said:

Hi everyone! I was in your shoes this time last year!:) I interviewed at James Madison, Towson, Montclair (Skype). I also applied to Pitt, Indiana University Bloomington, UNC, and UMASS. Please feel free to message me any questions you have!

Hi! I am interviewing at UNC towards the end of the month. Any tips or pros/cons of the program? 

Thank you!! 

On 1/24/2020 at 3:36 PM, AuDie3 said:

For those of you that are applying to UT Austin, I emailed them asking about GPA and interviews. They said that they look at upper-division GPA and that interviews should go out around mid-february! 

This is good to know! Thank you for sharing this information. Hopefully next week or the week after we will start hearing something *pun intended*. Good luck!

32 minutes ago, onthesamewavelength said:

Hi, everyone! I've been reading this forum for quite a while and though I'd chime in. Has anyone heard from Indiana University at Bloomington, Texas Tech, UT Austin, or University of Arizona? 

Hi! I also applied to IU Bloomington but have not heard back yet! I found it a bit weird since all the other schools I applied to have sent a complete email/review email but IU has been silent so far. 

1 minute ago, AuDApplicant said:

Hi! I also applied to IU Bloomington but have not heard back yet! I found it a bit weird since all the other schools I applied to have sent a complete email/review email but IU has been silent so far. 

Right? I was hoping someone had been interviewed or gotten an e-mail, but I've only read what their website says: "Admission letters are typically sent out in early March indicating whether a student has been accepted and whether the student is being offered funding or is being considered for funding. Students who are accepted to the program have until April 15 to reply." 

Guess we will have to play the waiting game! Check back in a month, I guess. 

32 minutes ago, onthesamewavelength said:

Right? I was hoping someone had been interviewed or gotten an e-mail, but I've only read what their website says: "Admission letters are typically sent out in early March indicating whether a student has been accepted and whether the student is being offered funding or is being considered for funding. Students who are accepted to the program have until April 15 to reply." 

Guess we will have to play the waiting game! Check back in a month, I guess. 

Ah okay! This is good to know, thanks for sharing ? hopefully we get some good news in March ?

3 hours ago, onthesamewavelength said:

Hi, everyone! I've been reading this forum for quite a while and though I'd chime in. Has anyone heard from Indiana University at Bloomington, Texas Tech, UT Austin, or University of Arizona? 

Hi! I applied to UT Austin as well and haven't heard anything either! I saw last year they sent theirs out later but im not sure? I also applied to U of A but for their SLP program and haven't heard anything back from them either. 

9 hours ago, futurespeechie2 said:

Hi! I applied to UT Austin as well and haven't heard anything either! I saw last year they sent theirs out later but im not sure? I also applied to U of A but for their SLP program and haven't heard anything back from them either. 

From what I understand, UT Austin will send them out around the time of their spring break, so just before March 16. I understood they invite people to interview as well, but I don't know. I tried looking up info about U of A, but their website doesn't mention anything.  Let me know. I'm rooting for you, for all of us!

38 minutes ago, onthesamewavelength said:

From what I understand, UT Austin will send them out around the time of their spring break, so just before March 16. I understood they invite people to interview as well, but I don't know. I tried looking up info about U of A, but their website doesn't mention anything.  Let me know. I'm rooting for you, for all of us!

When I contacted UT Austin they told me that this was their first year interviewing applicants. She said interview info will be sent out mid-February and they will invite around 20-30 students! I’m not sure when the actual interviews are but I know they still plan to send them out before spring break! 

57 minutes ago, AuDie3 said:

When I contacted UT Austin they told me that this was their first year interviewing applicants. She said interview info will be sent out mid-February and they will invite around 20-30 students! I’m not sure when the actual interviews are but I know they still plan to send them out before spring break! 

Thank you for providing some clarity! Let's see what happens within the next two weeks! 

3 hours ago, Taritai said:

I was in your position in 2018! Congrats on your acceptances so far! I currently attend Rush. If anyone has questions about their program, hit me up!

I noticed that in your signature it says you were accepted to both Rush and Northwestern. I was curious why you chose Rush over Northwestern in the end if you don't mind me asking? I'm personally trying to sort out which feels like a better fit for myself.

Both Wayne State University interview and Central Michigan University open house are this month. I am wearing a pant suit. A friend of mine is wearing a skirt and blazer. I think both are professional. I am hoping for WSU due to the diverse opportunities. Good luck to everyone!

Edited by AuDx

21 hours ago, allaboutears said:

Hey! I'm interviewing for Montclair in two weeks and would love to know how it was? Like if there were certain questions they asked or anything important I should keep in mind/tips or suggestions! Thank you!

Edited by Aud98

@Aud98Hey! I had a 15 minute skype call with the program director and a professor. Both ladies were very friendly and the interview was very smooth! They asked me where I was when I was on the call and asked about my undergraduate experiences. I talked about my job working with children since that it where I had just returned from. After they got to know me a little bit, they did a good amount of explaining their program and what it has to offer. They asked me if I had any questions (have some ready). And at the end, I had to submit a response to a short open response question (I think it was why I want to attend Montclair). Best of luck!

Edited by allaboutears

On 2/8/2020 at 11:10 AM, Taritai said:

I was in your position in 2018! Congrats on your acceptances so far! I currently attend Rush. If anyone has questions about their program, hit me up!

Did you receive any sort of funding? If so, was it before or after you accepted your offer? Also, if you are living in Chicago how difficult would you say it is in terms of paying for grad school and living in the city? Thank you for all your help!

On 2/8/2020 at 2:30 PM, emma98 said:

I noticed that in your signature it says you were accepted to both Rush and Northwestern. I was curious why you chose Rush over Northwestern in the end if you don't mind me asking? I'm personally trying to sort out which feels like a better fit for myself.

@Emma98 I ended up going with Rush due to cost. I was also won over by the then Director of the program as well as the Chairwoman. They literally stalked me to the bathroom to ask me who I was choosing between! lol, they remembered my name, my personal statement, and my story, and that really stuck out to me. I wanted to feel like I belonged and people wanted me there for who I was and not because of numbers and specs on a sheet. 

Any other questions, feel free to message me directly and I can give you other contact info(FB, Insta, etc.) so you can get faster responses!

Edited by Taritai

1 hour ago, luckyshine789 said:

Did you receive any sort of funding? If so, was it before or after you accepted your offer? Also, if you are living in Chicago how difficult would you say it is in terms of paying for grad school and living in the city? Thank you for all your help!

I did receive some funding, and it was before I accepted my offer. 

I currently live in Chicago. My situation's a bit different, as I am nontraditional student (this is my second career), so I still have bills and responsibilities I have to pay even while in school. Luckily my super successful partner is making the big bucks and that's how I am living right now, haha. If you are fresh out of undergrad with no car, insurance, or other debt, I think it will be super doable. Not sure how social you are, but finding a roommate situation isn't that hard at all. If you'd prefer to live solo, the cost may rise a bit, but it could still be done. If you take out loans, you are granted 2k maximum for living expenditures that should cover your living arrangement, food, and car expenses. This is obviously a ridiculous amount given where we live (Um, Chicago), but there you have it.

Any other questions, feel free to message me directly and I can give you other contact info(FB, Insta, etc.) so you can get faster responses!

46 minutes ago, Taritai said:

@Emma98 I ended up going with Rush due to cost. I was also won over by the then Director of the program as well as the Chairwoman. They literally stalked me to the bathroom to ask me who I was choosing between! lol, they remembered my name, my personal statement, and my story, and that really stuck out to me. I wanted to feel like I belonged and people wanted me there for who I was and not because of numbers and specs on a sheet. 

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. I will definitely message you if I have anymore questions!

2 hours ago, Taritai said:

I did receive some funding, and it was before I accepted my offer. 

I currently live in Chicago. My situation's a bit different, as I am nontraditional student (this is my second career), so I still have bills and responsibilities I have to pay even while in school. Luckily my super successful partner is making the big bucks and that's how I am living right now, haha. If you are fresh out of undergrad with no car, insurance, or other debt, I think it will be super doable. Not sure how social you are, but finding a roommate situation isn't that hard at all. If you'd prefer to live solo, the cost may rise a bit, but it could still be done. If you take out loans, you are granted 2k maximum for living expenditures that should cover your living arrangement, food, and car expenses. This is obviously a ridiculous amount given where we live (Um, Chicago), but there you have it.

Thank you so so much!! This is great help!