2019-2020 Canadian Political Science thread

mrsweasley

Hey all! I haven’t seen a thread like this that is specific to Canada so thought I’d start one. 

I’ve applied to York, McMaster and UofT for 2020 admission to an MA in polisci.

I hope this is an okay number of apps, I know some do a lot more. 

I’ve also got a few questions if anybody would be able to answer! How are the programs/depts at these unis, how do they compare to each other? York entices me due to it’s supposed left-wing nature but UofT is obviously much more prestigious. I’m unsure as to the quality of the specific programs, I find it’s hard to find info on this type of thing.

Also anyone know about the competitiveness of admissions for the programs? What determines admission (ex is a really good GPA in my final year + distinction enough to raise my chances?)

I applied to UBC for PhD and am thinking about McGill as well. I think they have MA programs but I know very little about it.

UofT is a powerhouse 

Fit and quality depend on your interests imo. You might consider American ones that offer partial / full scholarships.

I know many write MA apps til their hands bleed, but I only sent out one and it ended up ok. 3-5 seems like a good set.

I applied to UBC, York, Carleton, and U of T's MA Political Science programs. Honestly, i don't think my applications are competitive at all, and upon a reflection on the application cycle submitted most of them in a haze of last-minute panic, under-researching my programs, and not contacting any of the professors beforehand in order to discuss placement. At the same time, as this is my first cycle, I'm prepared for the rejections and will take this in stride. 

Agree on York - I'm really interested in the interdisciplinary approach as well as how diverse their faculty's interests are. I've heard U of T however doesn't provide any funding towards its MA students, unlike some of the other programs. 

Edited by sulkytofu

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2020 at 2:38 AM, sulkytofu said:

I applied to UBC, York, Carleton, and U of T's MA Political Science programs. Honestly, i don't think my applications are competitive at all, and upon a reflection on the application cycle submitted most of them in a haze of last-minute panic, under-researching my programs, and not contacting any of the professors beforehand in order to discuss placement. At the same time, as this is my first cycle, I'm prepared for the rejections and will take this in stride. 

Agree on York - I'm really interested in the interdisciplinary approach as well as how diverse their faculty's interests are. I've heard U of T however doesn't provide any funding towards its MA students, unlike some of the other programs. 

Cool, we're pretty much in the same boat then! I'm also stressing about the competitiveness of my application. Word on the last-minute panic. I thought applying to 3 would be fine, and now I'm like .... is this enough? Will I get into even one program? 

And yes I have the same feeling towards York! Really unsure which I'm swinging towards though ATM. I'm unsure on York's funding, will look into that.

Good luck to you!

PhD applicant here. I applied to a few British/American schools and the University of Toronto, IR/CP. I've already been accepted to a British school and an ivy, the latter with funding. For UT, looks like we should know in just about one month if this year's notifications are on the same schedule they've been on for at least the last decade. I'm betting the first wave of PhD acceptances will go out on Friday, March 6th. 

25 minutes ago, Paulcg87 said:

Admitted today to the University of Toronto for a PhD, IR/CP track. I was clearly off in my last post (by an entire month!). I think this is the earliest that UT has ever released PhD admissions decisions, at least over the last 14 years according to this website.

congratulations! May i know how u are informed ?

13 hours ago, needanoffersobad said:

congratulations! May i know how u are informed ?

Thanks! I received an email yesterday from the department’s graduate administrator, Ms. Carolynn Branton. If you look at the history of admits for the UT Polisci PhD for the last decade, the first wave of PhD admits almost always starts with informal emails from Ms. Branton offering admission. It looks like 4-5 admitted PhD candidates listed their admission yesterday on this site; my guess is they probably sent out 30-60 first round admission offers yesterday. 

14 hours ago, Paulcg87 said:

Thanks! I received an email yesterday from the department’s graduate administrator, Ms. Carolynn Branton. If you look at the history of admits for the UT Polisci PhD for the last decade, the first wave of PhD admits almost always starts with informal emails from Ms. Branton offering admission. It looks like 4-5 admitted PhD candidates listed their admission yesterday on this site; my guess is they probably sent out 30-60 first round admission offers yesterday. 

Wow really? I dont know how this site works but 30-60 seems a lot? How is it possible? Or they are assuming lots of people will reject their offer?     

8 hours ago, needanoffersobad said:

Wow really? I dont know how this site works but 30-60 seems a lot? How is it possible? Or they are assuming lots of people will reject their offer?     

According to the Polisci department website (https://politics.utoronto.ca/graduate/), 25-30 PhD and 45-50 MA students enroll each year. So it’s reasonable to assume they sent out at least 30 PhD offers every year but perhaps twice that many some years if there are a lot of first round candidates who reject admission.

8 hours ago, needanoffersobad said:

Anyways, please lemme know if rejections have been out. So I will stop wishing for an offer from U T 

Best way for you to know is to check the self reported stats on this website. I’ve already been admitted and have accepted my admission offer at UT so I am not tracking other people’s stats anymore. Good luck.

6 hours ago, Moss13 said:

I've applied to McGill, UBC, and Carleton MA in Political Science.... still no news from them.. I don't know if I should contact them or not 

I only just heard from UBC PhD. I'm Canadian & not going for an MA so I don't know if that makes a difference....

1 hour ago, Gik said:

Should I give up on UBC by now? I've applied to their PhD, but haven't heard anything yet. Do they send out acceptances in a single batch?

Hey Gik,

I have no idea. I was contacted by my PI then received a personalized form letter from the department giving funding terms. Some of it seems to depend on who has agreed to take you on as a student, so perhaps reach out to the professor(s) you indicated interest with in your application? May even vary by subfield and this determines which chunks go out? I would not give up hope yet if I were you as my UBC info is just now coming in.

2 hours ago, e2e4 said:

Hey Gik,

I have no idea. I was contacted by my PI then received a personalized form letter from the department giving funding terms. Some of it seems to depend on who has agreed to take you on as a student, so perhaps reach out to the professor(s) you indicated interest with in your application? May even vary by subfield and this determines which chunks go out? I would not give up hope yet if I were you as my UBC info is just now coming in.

Thank you, that is good advice! And congrats!!

I'll hold out hope a bit longer, but if I don't get any news by the beginning of next week, I'll contact them.

I emailed UBC yesterday, they said decisions will be out late February/early March. Same thing for McMasters.

Guelph said decisions will be out in Spring. And I didn't receive a response from Alberta and York.

Already got a rejection from UoT - not a good fit. 

Edited by tashkey