What to Consider When Weighing Offers

Modulus

I feel like I have a good idea of what is important to me in a program in addition to the basics like funding information, but I'd like to start a thread to crowd source questions to ask oneself before accepting or declining offers. 

Input from current students regarding questions you wish you had asked or factors you should have considered are especially appreciated.

A list to get us started --

Funding including amount, duration, requirements and benefits.

Fees and Costs including uncovered program fees and health insurance.

Advisor Fit including mentorship style, availability, and research interests.

Location including cost of living, housing options, and amenities.

Program Fit including clinical vs. research balance, available coursework, and program length/expectations.

Outcomes including publication rate, conference presentations, internship match, post doc, and jobs.

Those are some big obvious ones to me, but please add yours!

The overrall climate among current faculty and grad students is something I paid a lot of attention to. How well the department got along, as well as how much you get along with your POI and their lab group is super important considering the amount of time you will be spending with them!

Also, this depends on what your preference is, but I personally wanted to work with a lab group/advisor known to be collaborative (with other faculty within the department and within the specific field of study). Networking is such a huge part of academia, so having an advisor who already has these relationships established is super helpful.

Lastly, I did not use this is a critical deciding factor, but I paid attention to what types of clinical experiences (including externships) they offered because I want training with a specific type of population. 

Immediately after each interview visit, I made a list of pros and cons for each program. These included the important factors OP mentioned, as well as little things like the appearance of the psych building, difficulty of qualifying exam, weather, teaching opportunities, etc. I ended up paying the most attention to the cons. It's really important to consider which problems you're willing to deal with, versus which will cause you undue stress or even hinder your progress in the program. And if you can think of 3 serious cons for one program and only 2 minor issues for another, it can be an eye-opener as to which program you're actually leaning towards.

Some of the factors that most strongly influenced my decision were 1) whether I could see myself collaborating with other PIs in the area, 2) whether graduates of the program were successful in finding good postdocs/academic jobs, 3) stipend amount relative to cost of living. I also highly valued how well I got along with the other grad students and faculty, but everyone was so nice at each of my visits it was basically a wash across programs!

Edited by imemine

So much detail already givens I’ll give my personal experience with deciding:

I pre rank programs based on research fit, advisor productivity, funding, and area of living.

During interviews I focused on environment, feel from the students, and how the faculty interacted with each other. That helped give a sense of what going on. In addition, attitude of faculty with students and vise versa. This is actually quite important. So most students are very nice and supportive. However in actual interviews and interactions with students and the faculty, student typically show their true personality. I had an bad experience with a student in the interview with my POI belittling my mindset going into a program. I held my ground but it ultimately rubbed me the wrong way.

After receiving offers, I noticed I naturally already made my decision and I just triple check with my wife that she was happy location wise and BOOM! I picked a program!

Guest Wierrdo

I hate to say it but, prestige was a factor for me. I wanted to go to a school that was known for producing great students and had a reputable name in the area I was trying to be in (both physically and in the discipline). For instance, I see myself opening a practice in NY so I ranked NY schools higher knowing the reputation they have in the area.

48 minutes ago, Wierrdo said:

I hate to say it but, prestige was a factor for me. I wanted to go to a school that was known for producing great students and had a reputable name in the area I was trying to be in (both physically and in the discipline). For instance, I see myself opening a practice in NY so I ranked NY schools higher knowing the reputation they have in the area.

Don’t hate to say it lol. Prestige is IMPORTANT. Now I don’t agree that you need to go a school in an area you want to be in professional. New York programs Could be considered lower tier programs in comparison to R1 giant programs. Regardless, I respect the prestige factor as something to look at

15 minutes ago, Itzik said:

Don’t hate to say it lol. Prestige is IMPORTANT. Now I don’t agree that you need to go a school in an area you want to be in professional. New York programs Could be considered lower tier programs in comparison to R1 giant programs. Regardless, I respect the prestige factor as something to look at

Yeah, I don't see an issue with considering prestige. I think the only problem with it (for me) is that it can be hard to tell how a school falls on that---especially if you're in a small niche sub-field (like me). 

28 minutes ago, andhowdoesthatmakeyoufeel said:

Yeah, I don't see an issue with considering prestige. I think the only problem with it (for me) is that it can be hard to tell how a school falls on that---especially if you're in a small niche sub-field (like me). 

O that’s true. But you also have personal prestige. How you view the school and what you think it will provide in professional settings matters

A big part of my decision is student satisfaction. I wanna study somewhere for the next several years where students report feeling happy and supported. I’m not a competitive person so going somewhere ultra competitive and everyone-for-themselves isn’t something I was into. Unfortunately, part of my decision will be compromising geographic location because this university isn’t exactly anywhere I want to be long term, nor is it a poppin’ place. However, if the students talked about having an awesome cohort and felt supported/heard by both faculty and other students, I really took that into my consideration. 

I've recently met with some of my younger professors that are fresh out of PhD programs and they all recommended looking at counseling services and support groups for grad students that the school offered. Don't be afraid to ask how hard it is to get appointments - if you need support within the week and aren't able to get it at school, you'll have to account for mental health services in your personal expenses. Same goes for if you have different doctors - are optometrist or hematologist visits covered in your healthcare plan if you need those services? 

Also, the weather/terrain is turning into a bigger factor than I thought it would be for me. It doesn't hurt to consider how your skin/eyes/hair holds up in drier weather, for example. All these smaller things that contribute to your daily stress play a role in your overall well-being.

3 hours ago, ClinicalApplicant2019 said:

A big part of my decision is student satisfaction. I wanna study somewhere for the next several years where students report feeling happy and supported. I’m not a competitive person so going somewhere ultra competitive and everyone-for-themselves isn’t something I was into. Unfortunately, part of my decision will be compromising geographic location because this university isn’t exactly anywhere I want to be long term, nor is it a poppin’ place. However, if the students talked about having an awesome cohort and felt supported/heard by both faculty and other students, I really took that into my consideration. 

I feel this - the school that I've been favoring is in a college town and wouldn't be somewhere that I'd want to be long-term BUT the students all seemed like they loved the program and their mentors. The students made me want to be a part of the program and that culture.

I would say it's a very personal decision. You need to reflect on what's important to you. What kind of work environment made you the happiest in the past? My experience taught me that to me, the place doesn't matter as much as the people. If I am surrounded by people who are wonderful, they make any place feel like home. I also found out that though I can work with hands off advisors, a lot more time gets wasted in figuring out every minute aspect of research, which a hands on advisor would help me figure out. So, I gave a lot of importance to hands on advisors. Research fit was very important but prestige of university wasn't that important (again, I learnt it from experience that top ranking universities don't necessarily do better research and that it's more important to find schools where my research fit best with the advisor's).

On 2/25/2020 at 1:35 PM, Itzik said:

So much detail already givens I’ll give my personal experience with deciding:

I pre rank programs based on research fit, advisor productivity, funding, and area of living.

During interviews I focused on environment, feel from the students, and how the faculty interacted with each other. That helped give a sense of what going on. In addition, attitude of faculty with students and vise versa. This is actually quite important. So most students are very nice and supportive. However in actual interviews and interactions with students and the faculty, student typically show their true personality. I had an bad experience with a student in the interview with my POI belittling my mindset going into a program. I held my ground but it ultimately rubbed me the wrong way.

After receiving offers, I noticed I naturally already made my decision and I just triple check with my wife that she was happy location wise and BOOM! I picked a program!

Mine went the same way. I thought I'd have a "tough" choice, but after my visits there was a clear favorite and on Friday I learned I had been accepted to that program!! I always thought I'd be making lists, comparing pros and cons, but I felt immediately at home during my visit and knew it was the right place for me. Good luck to everyone!!

How important do you feel the distinction is between R1 and R2 schools? I know R1 are typically more prestigious and sometimes have more resources, but if the internship match and EPPP rates are high at an R2 school, will the lack of an R1 be impactful after graduation?

8 minutes ago, Musicalowl said:

How important do you feel the distinction is between R1 and R2 schools? I know R1 are typically more prestigious and sometimes have more resources, but if the internship match and EPPP rates are high at an R2 school, will the lack of an R1 be impactful after graduation?

The distinction between the two is minimal unless you're aiming for TT faculty positions after graduation. If so, R1 may give you the better edge. 

13 minutes ago, Musicalowl said:

Minimal honestly. R1 or R2 Status represent the entire School, not the program itself

2 hours ago, Musicalowl said:

2 hours ago, Itzik said:

Minimal honestly. R1 or R2 Status represent the entire School, not the program itself

I agree that it's minimal since what gets a school to R1 status is usually having an academic medical center (which is not super relevant to how good the program is). Additionally, I have interviewed are R2 schools where the Psychology department is one of the most productive (research-wise), and therefore get preferential treatment and resources from the school. 

Thank you all so much for your input!!! EMU really feels *right* (I didn't believe about the importance of 'fit' until I felt it for myself) and I wanted to make sure that an R2 wasn't a mistake.

I know that it isn't the highest ranking school out there but I also really just care about being with faculty that make sense and also that I know will be supportive. So excited!!

19 hours ago, Musicalowl said:

Thank you all so much for your input!!! EMU really feels *right* (I didn't believe about the importance of 'fit' until I felt it for myself) and I wanted to make sure that an R2 wasn't a mistake.

I know that it isn't the highest ranking school out there but I also really just care about being with faculty that make sense and also that I know will be supportive. So excited!!

Sounds like a perfect choice! Congratulations and good luck!!

I am back with another question and could use some advice. When I interviewed at EMU, it truly felt 'right.'

Now that I am also waitlisted at Drexel, I am trying to decide whether there is a decision to make if I get off the waitlist or if I should just choose EMU. I have considered all of the factors you have all listed. Everything, for me, falls in favor of EMU with the exception of prestige and externships.

Drexel is ranked higher and is more selective of students and much tougher to get in and has a better rep in that regards. Also the location so close to CHOPP and Dupont is a huge asset in externships and practicum. However I didn't get a good feeling at the interview and just felt underwhelmed. 

I am really struggling. I feel like I am choosing between happiness for 5 years over happiness/success after graduation. If that is true, Drexel should be my first choice if I get off the waitlist but everyone talks about 'fit' and in regards to fit I KNOW it is EMU.

I would love anyone's insight on this or information if others faced a similar choice and how they got through it.

2 hours ago, Musicalowl said:

I am back with another question and could use some advice. When I interviewed at EMU, it truly felt 'right.'

Now that I am also waitlisted at Drexel, I am trying to decide whether there is a decision to make if I get off the waitlist or if I should just choose EMU. I have considered all of the factors you have all listed. Everything, for me, falls in favor of EMU with the exception of prestige and externships.

Drexel is ranked higher and is more selective of students and much tougher to get in and has a better rep in that regards. Also the location so close to CHOPP and Dupont is a huge asset in externships and practicum. However I didn't get a good feeling at the interview and just felt underwhelmed. 

I am really struggling. I feel like I am choosing between happiness for 5 years over happiness/success after graduation. If that is true, Drexel should be my first choice if I get off the waitlist but everyone talks about 'fit' and in regards to fit I KNOW it is EMU.

I would love anyone's insight on this or information if others faced a similar choice and how they got through it.

Go to EMU. You clearly made your decision, maybe you just need to feel like it is a valid choice and it IS! ?

Hi everyone,

After being extended an offer, is it normal to be pressured by the POI to give an answer before April 15th?

One week after extending an informal offer, the POI contacted me. I told her that I hadn't received the official acceptance letter yet and that I'd need some time to make a decision after receiving it. The letter of admission arrived two weeks after the informal offer. It's been two and a half weeks now and I still haven't received official information about funding. Although she already mentioned on the phone what the funding package is, I don't feel comfortable telling her that I will accept the offer before receiving written information about it. Am I being paranoid?

On top of that, I'm on the waitlist for my top program and I'm also on the waitlist for my second choice. I'd like to wait at least until the end of the month because I know I won't forgive myself if I accept an offer prematurely. I want to be considerate of people on the waitlist (I'm also in that position and I know that it's hard), but it's getting difficult to deal with the POI's emails - they are even making me less excited about the idea of attending that program. What do you recommend? Should I let her know that I'm on the waitlist for other programs? I'm afraid of disclosing this information and, if I end up accepting her offer, she will know that her program was my second or third choice... 

Thanks for your help!

"You should not be pressured, nor feel compelled to accept an offer of admission before April 15! This applies to offers of admission and to funding offers that accompany admission. It is impermissible for programs to request a decision prior to April 15 or to indicate that funding will be available only if students make decisions earlier than this date. Violations of this policy should be reported to CUDCP immediately (http://cudcp.us/contact.html) and your identity will be protected." 

^ This is taken from a document put out by the psychology department at the University of Virginia (https://psychology.as.virginia.edu/sites/psychology.as.virginia.edu/files/summary_offers_acceptances_policy.pdf

No one should pressure you. Period.