2020 Decisions

Hi all,

I just got accepted to Trinity's MPhil in Irish Writing program without funding. It looks like it'll be hugely expensive as I'm non-EU (~$30,000 in all), and I can't see how it's worth it. I kind of get the feeling that it's just a cash cow, since they accept around 20 students and don't require a writing sample. I'm pretty sure I'd like to do a PhD focused on Irish Lit, so I guess the program fits well with that, but it seems ridiculous to me to pay that much for a one year masters.

Any insights or advice?

11 minutes ago, onerepublic96 said:

Accepted off the Michigan waitlist! Beyond thrilled.

THIS IS THE BEST NEWS OMG CONGRATS! I had been silently crossing my fingers for you for a while now so I am really so delighted to hear you made it! Yay you! 

2 hours ago, onerepublic96 said:

Accepted off the Michigan waitlist! Beyond thrilled.

That's amazing!!! Everybody I met at Michigan was so kind and supportive and I'm told Ann Arbor is a great place to live - I'm sure you'll have a fantastic experience. Wishing you all the best!

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/11/2020 at 4:29 PM, meghan_sparkle said:

Heading to Yale!!!!!!!!!

Was genuinely so tough to decide between Yale, Princeton and Columbia, as they were all legitimately tied as #1 in my mind and each had unique strengths for me personally, but something about New Haven just already felt like home. Whether that was just because they had their visit days and Princeton/Columbia didn't, it's a little hard to say, but at one point I just had to say to myself that counterfactuals aren't helpful in this scenario, it is what it is, and I have to go with my gut. If I'm honest I'm going to feel pretty sad about turning down Princeton/Columbia for a long time, but still feels like the right decision, if that makes any sense... 

Good luck to everyone in the next few days! Hang in there.

Congrats from a fellow Yalie!