Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

49 minutes ago, displaynamed said:

Out of curiosity, did anyone get rejected from The University of Akron's counseling psychology program after interviewing? I am on the waitlist and am trying to figure out if everyone who interviewed was either accepted or waitlisted, or if some people were rejected. Also, is anyone who was accepted planning to release their spot? Thanks :) Feel free to DM if that's more comfortable! 

Hey, I was actually admitted to this program. I am waiting to hear back from one more school before I accept or decline. 

1 minute ago, curiousclinicalpsych said:

I also haven't heard. I think during interview day the said anytime between mid March and April. Super fun haha. 

I also haven't heard! On a similar note, did anyone else have an odd interview experience with LIU Brooklyn? My faculty interview was super intense and I actually left feeling a bit uncomfortable. 

35 minutes ago, infinity. said:

I am going crazy waiting to hear back, glad I am not the only one that has not gotten a response

I'm like 98% sure this one is a rejection, so haven't been too preoccupied 

On the results, I saw someone got accepted to American University. If anyone who is seeing this received an acceptance, I would really appreciate if they could message me their PI and if it was a mass email and if they plan to accept. I only want to know because all of this waiting after the interview is making it hard to pre-plan for other schools (e.g., application deadlines, post-bac research job deadlines, etc) keep flying by each day I don't have an answer. Thank you ❤️ 

Edited by K31D1Psych

1 hour ago, SigmeundFraud said:

For those of you all who have multiple offers, how many offers are you holding onto at a time? And when do you expect to release offers you plan to reject?

I am holding on to one offer (while waiting to hear back from my first choice program, where I am waitlisted). I was told by a DCT at a program where I interviewed that you should never hold on to more than one offer at a time. If you have two, decide which one you'd prefer as soon as you can and reject the other. I hope most people follow that advice! 

I don't plan to accept or release the offer I have until I get a definite rejection or acceptance from my top choice. That depends when the other applicant who got the first offer accepts or releases it. Since most schools' interviews are wrapping up in the next week or so, I am guessing that within 2-3 weeks waitlists will start moving pretty quickly...

Does anyone have advice about moving for grad school?? I'll be about half the country away from where I've lived my whole life, and would love ANY insight into finding somewhere to live, looking for a roommate, timeline of moving, etc.

On a related note, if anyone got into UNR or is looking for a roomie in the Reno area, we should chat lol

16 minutes ago, fingers.crossed said:

Does anyone have advice about moving for grad school?? I'll be about half the country away from where I've lived my whole life, and would love ANY insight into finding somewhere to live, looking for a roommate, timeline of moving, etc.

On a related note, if anyone got into UNR or is looking for a roomie in the Reno area, we should chat lol

I would reach out to the program director or DCT. My program will usually have incoming students connect with current students about housing, especially if a current student is looking for a roommate or something. We've had a few instances where 1 person was leaving for internship and an incoming student took their room in the apartment. 

4 hours ago, infinity. said:

Has anyone heard back from NIU clinical psychology trauma track post-interview? 

They sent out their first round of offers last Friday. I found out I am an alternate because I emailed my PI. You might want to reach out if you haven't heard anything! 

17 minutes ago, justacigar said:

They sent out their first round of offers last Friday. I found out I am an alternate because I emailed my PI. You might want to reach out if you haven't heard anything! 

Thank you for this information!

7 hours ago, ClinicalPsychHopeful24 said:

I also haven't heard! On a similar note, did anyone else have an odd interview experience with LIU Brooklyn? My faculty interview was super intense and I actually left feeling a bit uncomfortable. 

If I remember correctly, they're a bit more psychodynamic leaning. That's a common psychodynamic interviewing tactic-seeing how people react when uncomfortable and under pressure. 

1 hour ago, PsyDuck90 said:

If I remember correctly, they're a bit more psychodynamic leaning. That's a common psychodynamic interviewing tactic-seeing how people react when uncomfortable and under pressure. 

Just to kinda gauge temperament/interpersonal skills for clinical work?

Hi all! Can anyone share tips on email etiquette when accepting an offer and when declining an offer to programs? Thank you so much!

27 minutes ago, Copingwithcarbs said:

Just to kinda gauge temperament/interpersonal skills for clinical work?

Yeah, I think so. I don't identify with psychodynamisism at all, so others may speak to it better than I can, but yeah, there's seems to be the idea of making the person sweat and the most uncomfortable they can without crossing any actually boundaries to see how the individual responds. I and my cohort-mates have had some weird externship interviews on occasion because of this. 

22 minutes ago, lec3 said:

Hi all! Can anyone share tips on email etiquette when accepting an offer and when declining an offer to programs? Thank you so much!

Just be straight to the point. Acceptance: Thank you so much for the opportunity. I am excited to accept the offer for x university and look forward to working with you (if directly to PI). Decline: Thank you so much for the offer. However, after much consideration, I've decided to accept an offer for a different program. 

Or something along those lines.