Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

Anyone hear back from Saint John's? I was told they are meeting today and I'm not sure if that means that acceptances are going out today or if they'll start making calls later in the week. :)

On 3/6/2021 at 1:17 PM, gradstudentMACP95 said:

Will do! Crossing fingers for the both of us 

They emailed me today saying they added an extra interview day in April. I said yes because like I said, I haven’t heard back from anywhere I interviewed yet, but it seems like I’m a back up plan? Maybe the interviews this past Saturday went really terribly? Idk 

Anybody who interviewed for Suffolk's phd clinical psychology program, did you hear a timeline about when they would extend offers? I saw someone posted on the results page that they received an offer. I wasn't sure if they sent them all out at once or if they will continually offer through out the week.

25 minutes ago, thatoneguy272 said:

They emailed me today saying they added an extra interview day in April. I said yes because like I said, I haven’t heard back from anywhere I interviewed yet, but it seems like I’m a back up plan? Maybe the interviews this past Saturday went really terribly? Idk 

oh nice! i haven't received that email...maybe they did go terribly, lmao.  I'd say yes too if given the opportunity. I'm still waiting on 1 school  i interviewed with and another i haven't heard anything from! 

I'm currently deciding between William Paterson University's and Kean University's PsyD programs. Does anyone have any insight into either program? Pros? Cons? Any positive or negative experiences that you would be willing to share? I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

59 minutes ago, psychdjap16 said:

I'm currently deciding between William Paterson University's and Kean University's PsyD programs. Does anyone have any insight into either program? Pros? Cons? Any positive or negative experiences that you would be willing to share? I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

William Paterson is more CBT focused and Kean is more ACT focused. Kean is also a combined school-clinical program. Do you have an interest in working with children/school settings? You are required to do some school psych related courses, so depending on your level of interest, that can be a pro or a con. Did you get funding for either one? That would be a big deciding factor. Both skew a bit heavier on research as far as PsyDs go. 

Any advice on how to choose between two schools besides the obvious of price and location? Any and all detailed advice would be helpful! What are some things I should research about each school, what might be something to look at specifically, etc. Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Leah0227 said:

Any advice on how to choose between two schools besides the obvious of price and location? Any and all detailed advice would be helpful! What are some things I should research about each school, what might be something to look at specifically, etc. Thanks!

Compare the APA stats of each school (should be on each school's website). Check out what percentage of people tend to be able to get APA internships / what percentage actually stays in the program and graduates. You can also find the pass rates for the EPPP exam. Consider the research interests of the PI's and think about which one you could actually see your self spending half a decade working/expanding on. That also goes for the personality of the PIs. Also try to think back about how you felt during the interviews and what impression faculty and anyone else left. If you left feeling uncomfortable it might not be the best choice.

You could also compare what kind of courses you'd be taking at each school and whether the faculty focus on CBT, ACT, or something else. Another thing is what model do they use? Scientist-practitioner? Is that (or whatever other model they go by) the best model to fit your career goals?

Another possible thing you can do is reach out to current students and try to get a better feel of the environment of the program. Things like are students competitive with each other? You could also ask more detailed questions more specifically about students in your PI's lab like, does the PI have a lot of time to actually mentor and advise you? Does the PI help students accomplish what they want to accomplish (posters, publications, etc.) or is that all on the student to figure out and push for? You can also try to find out where are the PI's former students now?

Some programs have mandated therapy. If one of your programs has it then consider if that's something you're willing to do. 

There's definitely a lot to consider but as long as you keep in mind what's truly important for you and your own career you'll probably make the right choice. Good luck :)

12 minutes ago, forensicpsychstu said:

Compare the APA stats of each school (should be on each school's website). Check out what percentage of people tend to be able to get APA internships / what percentage actually stays in the program and graduates. You can also find the pass rates for the EPPP exam. Consider the research interests of the PI's and think about which one you could actually see your self spending half a decade working/expanding on. That also goes for the personality of the PIs. Also try to think back about how you felt during the interviews and what impression faculty and anyone else left. If you left feeling uncomfortable it might not be the best choice.

You could also compare what kind of courses you'd be taking at each school and whether the faculty focus on CBT, ACT, or something else. Another thing is what model do they use? Scientist-practitioner? Is that (or whatever other model they go by) the best model to fit your career goals?

Another possible thing you can do is reach out to current students and try to get a better feel of the environment of the program. Things like are students competitive with each other? You could also ask more detailed questions more specifically about students in your PI's lab like, does the PI have a lot of time to actually mentor and advise you? Does the PI help students accomplish what they want to accomplish (posters, publications, etc.) or is that all on the student to figure out and push for? You can also try to find out where are the PI's former students now?

Some programs have mandated therapy. If one of your programs has it then consider if that's something you're willing to do. 

There's definitely a lot to consider but as long as you keep in mind what's truly important for you and your own career you'll probably make the right choice. Good luck :)

Thank you!!

To the person who received the offer from PI: MM at Temple University - did you accept the offer? Congratulations if so and for receiving the offer! Just wanted to inquire because I am on the waitlist and I want to understand my status further. Feel free to DM me and also no worries if you are not comfortable replying at all. Best wishes to you!

Guys, I'm really heart broken here and would really just love some insight... does anyone have an offer at UIC (Univ of Illinois at Chicago) that is still holding on to an offer? Are you planning on accepting/rejecting? Again, I'm sorry to even ask. I'm just so crushed and do not know what to do here... this was my only chance

18 hours ago, PsyDuck90 said:

William Paterson is more CBT focused and Kean is more ACT focused. Kean is also a combined school-clinical program. Do you have an interest in working with children/school settings? You are required to do some school psych related courses, so depending on your level of interest, that can be a pro or a con. Did you get funding for either one? That would be a big deciding factor. Both skew a bit heavier on research as far as PsyDs go. 

@PychPhD9Were you accepted to Kean's PsyD program for Fall 2021?

1 hour ago, Biopsychosocialyzing said:

y'all this waitlist limbo is driving me insane... when will things start moving ;) 

Feel this so much! I'll bet people with offers are waiting to hear back from other programs or are also waitlisted themselves. Presumably things should start moving in the next few weeks as the schools with later interviews (I know my friend interviewed at Northwestern last week) send out their admission updates.