Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

1 minute ago, NervousNelly12 said:

I got an email on Monday from my PI saying decisons will take longer this year because they have to redo the budget due to two professors (probably a couple?) announcing they were going to be leaving just last week.

Also thanks for letting me know nelly!! I haven't gotten any info from mine!

Got another email today from an advisor saying my application was competitive but that it was not considered due to the sheer amount of applicants this semester. Having a hard time receiving this news from most of the places I applied to as I was not selected for any interviews. I just feel like if you don't even really want to interview me regarding my application then obviously my application could not have been that competitive. Anyone else experiencing this?

6 minutes ago, expensiveswimmer said:

Got another email today from an advisor saying my application was competitive but that it was not considered due to the sheer amount of applicants this semester. Having a hard time receiving this news from most of the places I applied to as I was not selected for any interviews. I just feel like if you don't even really want to interview me regarding my application then obviously my application could not have been that competitive. Anyone else experiencing this?

It sucks and it's a crappy feeling to have to deal with. Being evaluated at what feels like a very impersonal and surface level is awful and a little ironic. This is one of the most competitive fields and people are often victims of the numbers game. GPA, GRE, short blurbs about ourselves - it's all a microscopic piece of information about ourselves that determines so. much. Psychology is the field full of experts in assessments, evaluations, and measurement of ability and achievement. Yet they are basically forced into partaking in a process that does none of this expertise justice. I'm sure it KILLS the faculty in having to make such difficult decisions regarding an applicant just because of academic politics in making programs, departments, schools, etc. look good. I honestly think this is more of a reflection of the system and how broken and difficult it is to manage rather than how good of a student/clinician we are and would be. 

That's just my two cents. You're obviously dedicated and I'm sure you CRUSHED IT in this horrific application cycle. 

4 minutes ago, nav.psych said:

University of Toledo Interviewees: Any updates post-interviews? Have people received acceptances/denials?

Some people have posted acceptances and rejections on the results. Search the clinical psychology but add toledo at the end of it. 

4 minutes ago, nav.psych said:

Particularly from PI: PM?

PM has not been specified on the results when you search "Clinical Psychology Toledo" and look at what has been posted so far.

18 minutes ago, KeepItCaffeinated said:

What have people said in emails to POI asking for an update post-interview?

The most important thing is to communicate to them that you're still interested in working with them. Especially if you're waitlisted, it can only help you for your PI to know you would accept an offer from them if they made you one. Just hit these points (elaborating where you want to?

-reiterate your interest in the program / in joining this person's lab (if you're pretty sure you would accept an offer from this person, i think it's a good idea to say "Working with you at [University’s name] is currently my first choice")

-ask if they have an update about the status of your application, perhaps mentioning that you haven't heard back since interviewing

-"I look forward to hearing from you" or something

On 3/2/2021 at 2:19 PM, ClinicalPsychHopeful24 said:

I also haven't heard! On a similar note, did anyone else have an odd interview experience with LIU Brooklyn? My faculty interview was super intense and I actually left feeling a bit uncomfortable. 

Yes omg! I thought I was the only one that experienced that from that interview.

32 minutes ago, djJazzyJeff said:

Sooo it's been roughly three weeks since I've had my interviews. Everyone around me is telling me to hold out hope, but I think it's safe to assume that I've been waitlisted/rejected :(

It took over 4 weeks for me to hear back about a waitlist spot! It is better than being ghosted with a rejection but still stinks. 

If the person who got the acceptance for the Clinical PhD program at Nova Southeastern sees this—was it an email from the DCT or a PI?

Nova’s been holding out on the PhD decisions until after all of the interviews so now I’m nervous seeing acceptances pop up. ?

22 hours ago, raindr0p said:

Just curious (as an antsy waitlisted person) — does anyone know which Clinical PhD programs are still interviewing or are still sending out their first round of offers? The only program I know of that has not had interviews yet is Northwestern Feinberg School of Medicine. Just wondering which other programs are interviewing in March.

Today’s the last day (for traditional interview dates at least) according to this calendar that’s been circulating: https://teamup.com/ks952632ef38687f3e

Edited by Amucu

I was wondering if people could offer some advice on how to describe beginning a PhD program (I have a lot of anxiety around saying the wrong thing in social situations). In most programs you aren't awarded doctoral candidacy until after your 2nd or 3rd year, so is it inappropriate to say something like "I will be pursuing a PhD at ___ university starting in fall 2021", since you technically aren't at doctoral student status at that point?? If that is not the proper language, how else do you describe it?

11 minutes ago, ad_7272 said:

I was wondering if people could offer some advice on how to describe beginning a PhD program (I have a lot of anxiety around saying the wrong thing in social situations). In most programs you aren't awarded doctoral candidacy until after your 2nd or 3rd year, so is it inappropriate to say something like "I will be pursuing a PhD at ___ university starting in fall 2021", since you technically aren't at doctoral student status at that point?? If that is not the proper language, how else do you describe it?

I've seen people use "doctoral student" for the years they take classes, then "doctoral candidate" once they're in the dissertation process. My school refers to PhD students as "doctoral students" even when they are first years.

51 minutes ago, forensicpsychstu said:

I've seen people use "doctoral student" for the years they take classes, then "doctoral candidate" once they're in the dissertation process. My school refers to PhD students as "doctoral students" even when they are first years.

Same. We are doctoral students until we pass comps and then doctoral candidates after passing comps. 

On 3/3/2021 at 8:59 AM, Oxford_comma2 said:

Oh friend, I have 4,000+ unread emails, another one doesn't surprise me anymore. At least these are from people that know I exist, as opposed to the donation department of my undergrad which just sends me mass emails asking for money. :)

Plus I'm praying for a phone call more than an email at this point. I feel like phone calls are more likely to be an acceptance. :P

I’ve been getting so many robo calls. It’s like they know I’m waiting for grad school decisions and will pick up!