Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

I've been on the waitlist for Baylor University for a couple of weeks now and it's getting super nerve-wracking. My PI said he'd update me as soon as something changes, but it's been radio silence. Has anyone else received updates, or is anyone that received an acceptance planning to release their offer? I assume people are waiting to hear from other programs that may be a top choice for them. If anyone accepted is willing to DM their PI that'd be awesome, no pressure of course, though!

Can someone please clarify this for me.. I went on Rutgers websites and checked stats for the past year and it says 40 people offered admissions, 18 matriculated. I am trying to gauge my chances on the waitlist. Does this mean the INITIAL offers are made to 40 people and then if less than 18 from those 40 accept that's when they go back to the waitlist? That makes me feel like absolute shit LOL. I mean that means getting off the waitlist is basically impossible... ? I was told I am placed very high on the waitlist, whatever that may mean, but starting to lose my hope.

36 minutes ago, Biopsychosocialyzing said:

Can someone please clarify this for me.. I went on Rutgers websites and checked stats for the past year and it says 40 people offered admissions, 18 matriculated. I am trying to gauge my chances on the waitlist. Does this mean the INITIAL offers are made to 40 people and then if less than 18 from those 40 accept that's when they go back to the waitlist? That makes me feel like absolute shit LOL. I mean that means getting off the waitlist is basically impossible... ? I was told I am placed very high on the waitlist, whatever that may mean, but starting to lose my hope.

I think that refers to 40 total offers for the application season, not 40 initial offers. As in, if you’re high on the waitlist it looks like there’s a decent chance. 

37 minutes ago, Biopsychosocialyzing said:

Thanks for clarifying. I hope so!! 

I agree. I would take it to mean that they make at least 18 initial offers, and then continue to make offers from the waitlist until they reach a class of 18. So sometimes it takes up to 40 offers to fill the class.

Hey guys! I'm new here, and this is my first round of applications. I applied to several colleges in Texas (Rice, University of Houston, Baylor, Texas A&M) and I haven't heard back from any of them. I'm assuming I won't be getting any interviews at this point, but I was told I'd at least get a notification that I was no longer being considered. I haven't gotten any emails and my application portals all still says "In Review" or "Submitted". 

Anyone else have this problem? Or any answers?

Thanks in advance :) 

25 minutes ago, forensicpsychstu said:

Do schools have to list how long or what type their APA accreditation is (e.g. on contingency)? I noticed one of my programs says on their website that they are accredited by the APA but not what type of accreditation... They do have all their outcome data readily available though

that info should be on the apa website!

Does anyone have any experience reaching out to POI's for rejection feedback? I've read some conflicting advice as to how helpful that can be. Is it better to try contacting admissions first? Should you only reach out to those PI's you officially interviewed with, or is prelim contact enough? Better/worse idea if you plan on reapplying to the same POI next cycle? Also, is there an ideal time to wait before reaching out?

Edited by EileanDonan

I recently interviewed for a program, and now the admissions coordinator wants to schedule a phone call. I am a bit confused because they said the director of clinical training would be the one calling if they were offering an acceptance. This is also before I expected any news. However, they implied they would email if waitlisted or rejected, so I am a bit confused as to what this could be about... not wanting to get my hopes up, but does anyone have any ideas?

For those of you who have completed a masters prior to applying for clinical PhDs, did you receive an MA/MS in clinical psychology or general psychology? Going off this list of programs someone provided: https://clinicalpsychphd.wordpress.com/2014/04/30/funded-psychology-masters-programs/

and it seems only a select few are actually masters in clinical psych. What other masters psych programs do research and prep you for a PhD in clinical psych?

1 hour ago, Psyched6813 said:

Anyone know the likelihood that SIU does a second round of interviews? I’m not sure if they’ve done it before or if this is the first time because of the amount of apps.

From my understanding of it, the likelihood of that depends on if their initial offers/waitlist offers are accepted or not. If everyone turns down an offer for a specific faculty member and that faculty member needs an incoming student, they may go back and invite a few more people for a second round of interviews. But honestly this application season has been weird so who knows. Good luck!!

4 minutes ago, missmusical said:

For those of you who have completed a masters prior to applying for clinical PhDs, did you receive an MA/MS in clinical psychology or general psychology? Going off this list of programs someone provided: https://clinicalpsychphd.wordpress.com/2014/04/30/funded-psychology-masters-programs/

and it seems only a select few are actually masters in clinical psych. What other masters psych programs do research and prep you for a PhD in clinical psych?

My master's was in general-experimental psych (it was a 5 year program to complete my BA/MA), which included general psych classes (psychopathology, ethics, survey methodology, etc.) then additional training in advanced research methods and stats. I felt that the joint general-experimental emphasis prepared me well to pursue a PhD because it emphasized research, however it does lack that clinical component obviously since it's not a clin psych degree. Hope this helps!

46 minutes ago, missmusical said:

My MA is in Forensic Psychology and required an internship to complete. There were opportunities for research but they were optional, but I tried to take advantage of as many as I could because I knew I wanted to apply for a PhD eventually. I also made my professors aware of my goals pretty much as soon as I joined the program, so they helped me get the experience I needed to become a competitive applicant. This is my first app cycle and I was accepted into programs this cycle, so based on my experience it does not matter as much what the masters is in or if it is an MA/MS as long as you end up with experience. 

1 hour ago, missmusical said:

I have my MS in neuroscience, but I did a clinical research thesis! I also am only interested in neuropsychology, so this still fit in well with my plan. Happy to answer any other questions!

23 hours ago, haleyb12 said:

Hey guys! I'm new here, and this is my first round of applications. I applied to several colleges in Texas (Rice, University of Houston, Baylor, Texas A&M) and I haven't heard back from any of them. I'm assuming I won't be getting any interviews at this point, but I was told I'd at least get a notification that I was no longer being considered. I haven't gotten any emails and my application portals all still says "In Review" or "Submitted". 

Anyone else have this problem? Or any answers?

Thanks in advance :) 

University of Houston has been radio silent this entire time--sometimes I wonder if the department even got my application, though it does say "submitted" on the portal. My person of interest ignored my introductory emails, the only one who reacted that way.  It was my first choice at the beginning, so the complete lack of response was disappointing.

Edited by texaspsych21