2021 Application Thread

dr. t

I just saw on the main website that 2 people posted about people accepted into UCSD F21 History PhD, but I haven't heard back yet, not that accepted neither that I was rejected. Looked on the university's website as well and no updates on my application either. Does anyone make anything out of this? From the other universities I applied they all gave me an answer at least, and the decisions of who got in and who got rejected were like a day away max

On 2/27/2021 at 7:03 AM, gabrbz said:

I just saw on the main website that 2 people posted about people accepted into UCSD F21 History PhD, but I haven't heard back yet, not that accepted neither that I was rejected. Looked on the university's website as well and no updates on my application either. Does anyone make anything out of this? From the other universities I applied they all gave me an answer at least, and the decisions of who got in and who got rejected were like a day away max

I received an email telling me I was likely to get funding. Turns out that email actually means I am on the waitlist. I think they are slowly responding to people. Every other uni that has rejected me (all of them) first sent acceptances and some took up to 3 weeks to give me my rejection. 

I have been waitlisted at two unis: Miami and UC San Diego. I am doing Latin American history. Does anyone know if people usually apply to UCSD and Miami as a back up to top 20 unis? Therefore, making it likely that someone might accept an offer elsewhere?

I have resigned myself to accept that it is highly unlikely that the students with offers have more than one offer during a year of reduced spaces. But I thought I would check if anyone had any forecasts/thoughts.

42 minutes ago, Mayúscula said:

I received an email telling me I was likely to get funding. Turns out that email actually means I am on the waitlist. I think they are slowly responding to people. Every other uni that has rejected me (all of them) first sent acceptances and some took up to 3 weeks to give me my rejection. 

I am applying for Latin American History too, I have been rejected by every other university I applied to, and I usually got answers on the same day other people were accepted. It's so weird because no one contacted me, I've sent 3 emails to a potential advisor since the summer, and didn't get a single email back. Every other university that I was rejected also contacted me for an interview but UCSD was the only one who didn't. I am at loss here as I think it would've been nice to get the answer so I could move on with things if that was the case. Also, just wondering, if you feel inclined, would you mind sharing what was your SoP topic about? I've got answers that implied I was qualified and in interviews they seemed interested in my topic, but in the end I didn't get in because they couldn't offer 'resources' I think that's a way of saying my topic was too specific (indigenous warfare culture 1500-1700) thanks and good luck 

42 minutes ago, gabrbz said:

I am applying for Latin American History too, I have been rejected by every other university I applied to, and I usually got answers on the same day other people were accepted. It's so weird because no one contacted me, I've sent 3 emails to a potential advisor since the summer, and didn't get a single email back. Every other university that I was rejected also contacted me for an interview but UCSD was the only one who didn't. I am at loss here as I think it would've been nice to get the answer so I could move on with things if that was the case. Also, just wondering, if you feel inclined, would you mind sharing what was your SoP topic about? I've got answers that implied I was qualified and in interviews they seemed interested in my topic, but in the end I didn't get in because they couldn't offer 'resources' I think that's a way of saying my topic was too specific (indigenous warfare culture 1500-1700) thanks and good luck 

Just a note, it might not be that your research interest is too specific, it might be that they just don't have anyone that would be able to guide you with regard to that particular interest (or anyone that feels qualified enough to guide you in that particular research interest).

6 minutes ago, TagRendar said:

Just a note, it might not be that your research interest is too specific, it might be that they just don't have anyone that would be able to guide you with regard to that particular interest (or anyone that feels qualified enough to guide you in that particular research interest).

Actually one of the universities I was rejected after an interview and they have a leading scholar in that area and she's the department head which made it feel extra sad, one of the senior Latin Americanists even said he looked forward to meeting in person after the pandemic. 

5 hours ago, Mayúscula said:

I have been waitlisted at two unis: Miami and UC San Diego. I am doing Latin American history. Does anyone know if people usually apply to UCSD and Miami as a back up to top 20 unis? Therefore, making it likely that someone might accept an offer elsewhere?

I have resigned myself to accept that it is highly unlikely that the students with offers have more than one offer during a year of reduced spaces. But I thought I would check if anyone had any forecasts/thoughts.

If you are thinking of Florida and if you are thinking of re-applying if nothing opens up, I'd suggest looking into FIU. They have a great program and top notch Latin Americanists. Besides UCSD, did you apply to other programs in California? 

4 hours ago, gabrbz said:

A faculty may be on leave and that's why they didn't respond. You are right in feeling at a loss. Admissions are really secretive and this year more factors than we know played a role.

4 hours ago, TagRendar said:

No. 

Unless the program has eight Latin Americanists (one modern Mexico, one colonial Mexico, one Brazilianist, one Southern Cone, one Northern South America, one Colonial Latin America, one Caribbeanist, one Afro-Latinamericanist) this will never be the case. As long as you have someone specializing in your time period, it doesn't matter how specific a topic is, with some exceptions (Brazil and Mexico). 

How often do faculty members at schools that rejected you reach out to compliment your application? I've gotten emails from multiple people in the same department telling me that I had a great application and they were sorry they couldn't offer me a place. I hadn't been in touch with any of them before, so I really never expected to hear anything after I was rejected because I had absolutely no relationship to the department or to any faculty member. 

Has anyone else had any similar interactions with faculty members this year? I kinda don't know what to say because obviously I'm grateful that some academics out there think I have a cool project but I'm also not sure how to respond or what kind of conversation is worth having, though I'd like to keep up the conversation a bit to at least make connections with historians in my field. They've offered to meet with me to discuss further, but what kinds of questions should I be asking? 

2 hours ago, bakeseal said:

How often do faculty members at schools that rejected you reach out to compliment your application? I've gotten emails from multiple people in the same department telling me that I had a great application and they were sorry they couldn't offer me a place. I hadn't been in touch with any of them before, so I really never expected to hear anything after I was rejected because I had absolutely no relationship to the department or to any faculty member. 

Has anyone else had any similar interactions with faculty members this year? I kinda don't know what to say because obviously I'm grateful that some academics out there think I have a cool project but I'm also not sure how to respond or what kind of conversation is worth having, though I'd like to keep up the conversation a bit to at least make connections with historians in my field. They've offered to meet with me to discuss further, but what kinds of questions should I be asking? 

It's not that common. Faculty don't have the time to send emails to every applicant who wasn't admitted. You should thank them and sign something like "I hope our paths cross in the future." If this were a different year, you could ask specific faculty if they were thinking of going to an upcoming conference and maybe grab some coffee.

I would take the offer to discuss your application further, if you are thinking of applying again. Questions you could ask are: How can I strengthen my application? What type of conference/workshop/seminar would you suggest I eye this year in preparation for my application? You can also let them speak. If they are willing to invest time in you, even if you don't apply there again, it's feedback that you get for free. 

On 2/12/2021 at 8:39 PM, tulips23 said:

Hey, that's me. Thanks! :) Transregional/global history

Hi! Congrats on the Georgetown offer. May I ask whether it was MA or Phd that you applied to?

Is it a good idea to email DGS and ask about when I can expect a decision? I'm an MA applicant and I haven't heard anything since I submitted my application. Their website just vaguely says we should hear back in February or March. A more precise date will help with my anxiety, yet I don't know if it is worth it to email DGS.

On 2/27/2021 at 9:03 PM, gabrbz said:

me also 2021fall history phd applicant to UCSD. Neither did I receive any letter or any updates on the application portal websites. It really kills me!

On 3/3/2021 at 9:41 AM, Sheila Fu said:

Is it a good idea to email DGS and ask about when I can expect a decision? I'm an MA applicant and I haven't heard anything since I submitted my application. Their website just vaguely says we should hear back in February or March. A more precise date will help with my anxiety, yet I don't know if it is worth it to email DGS.

You gain nothing from such an email and you may annoy someone. Just be patient. 

I'm still waiting for UIC.  I saw one notice on the board the other day, but given how their admissions have gone in past years, gaps would not surprise me.

I haven't heard any word from the department since my email exchange with the director at the beginning of February.  No updates to portal, no emails, nothing.  Debating whether or not to reach out if I don't hear anything by next week.

2 hours ago, TagRendar said:

I'm still waiting for UIC.  I saw one notice on the board the other day, but given how their admissions have gone in past years, gaps would not surprise me.

I haven't heard any word from the department since my email exchange with the director at the beginning of February.  No updates to portal, no emails, nothing.  Debating whether or not to reach out if I don't hear anything by next week.

As the Dr. said bluntly:

4 hours ago, dr. telkanuru said:

You gain nothing from such an email and you may annoy someone. Just be patient. 

4 hours ago, TagRendar said:

Same. I'm not reaching out to 'em but I just want to know where I stand. 

I'm also waiting for UT Austin. Grrr. I just wanna know already. ??

Hi all - long time listener / first time caller here. This has been a super helpful thread throughout the application process this year - thanks especially to all the more seasoned folks who take the time to engage with all us grad school noobs on the forum.

Curious if people have any thoughts on the protocol for reaching out to programs after getting waitlisted. For context, I was waitlisted at my top choice program, and had a brief, polite e-mail exchange with the DGS right after getting that notification, in which he shared that they will be able to give a final yea/nay to waitlisted applicants by mid-April, but not much other color on the process (or the size of the waitlist).

Basically, I want to know whether it's a good idea to reach out to POIs to (politely) try and get a better feel for the decision rules the department uses to make offers from the waitlist, given that I haven't talked to my POIs since November/December (i.e. haven't gotten any inbounds from would-be advisors). 

Additionally - for folks that have done a 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th) application cycle, curious what parts of your "package" you think changed the most with each iteration. Was it mostly about fit (& communicating that better in the SOP)? A new writing sample that you were proud of? Recs or credentials from an MA/MPhil program? Maybe this second question is a separate discussion in which case, happy to start a new thread. 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, LeSamourai said:

Hi all - long time listener / first time caller here. This has been a super helpful thread throughout the application process this year - thanks especially to all the more seasoned folks who take the time to engage with all us grad school noobs on the forum.

Curious if people have any thoughts on the protocol for reaching out to programs after getting waitlisted. For context, I was waitlisted at my top choice program, and had a brief, polite e-mail exchange with the DGS right after getting that notification, in which he shared that they will be able to give a final yea/nay to waitlisted applicants by mid-April, but not much other color on the process (or the size of the waitlist).

Basically, I want to know whether it's a good idea to reach out to POIs to (politely) try and get a better feel for the decision rules the department uses to make offers from the waitlist, given that I haven't talked to my POIs since November/December (i.e. haven't gotten any inbounds from would-be advisors). 

Additionally - for folks that have done a 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th) application cycle, curious what parts of your "package" you think changed the most with each iteration. Was it mostly about fit (& communicating that better in the SOP)? A new writing sample that you were proud of? Recs or credentials from an MA/MPhil program? Maybe this second question is a separate discussion in which case, happy to start a new thread. 

Thanks!

You can certainly contact your POIs at your waitlisted institution -- but be sure to ask "How does the waitlist work? is it ranked or by fields?"

In my case, it was really a matter of luck and timing along with simply having a clearer sense of what questions I really wanted to ask broadly, not just the project that I had in hand.  This year just sucked more than any other year, that's all.  All you can do is take a total break from your application (and anything with history) for a couple of months and then re-write your SOP with more clarity once you start reading again.

Out of curiosity, what has been people's experience with waitlists?  Do you always receive word that you're waitlisted, or sometimes is there just nothing (I would imagine in some ways this is institution-dependent, but I could be mistaken)?

23 minutes ago, TagRendar said:

Out of curiosity, what has been people's experience with waitlists?  Do you always receive word that you're waitlisted, or sometimes is there just nothing (I would imagine in some ways this is institution-dependent, but I could be mistaken)?

Honestly it depends on the program.  I had some programs tell me right off the bat, others kept me in the dark until I contacted them after April 1st to inquire.

17 hours ago, LeSamourai said:

Thanks!

They are saying mid-April because that's when others will give their final decision. 

By a rule of thumb, my advice would be to only contact POIs if you have another offer and/or are waitlisted elsewhere. 

However, you have seen that regarding waitlists everyone has a different experience and so we are all giving you different advice. YMMV.

Note: I wasn't waitlisted, I was outright rejected/admitted. I have no idea if there is a waitlist in our program or how it is handled.