2021 Biology PhD Admissions Results

oskibear

On 3/6/2021 at 2:06 AM, DrHorse said:

Ahhhh rip, me too. Well good luck, I hope we both hear something soon!

On 3/6/2021 at 2:24 PM, BostonShaker said:

Make that three of us! It’s amazing that we made it this far. Now we wait ?

M&I doesn’t matriculate many people, so it’s understandable (but annoying) that it takes this long. 

Someone on Reddit said that the PI they have been in contact with said 4 offers of admission have been given at this time.

5 minutes ago, __Wreckingball__ said:

Someone on Reddit said that the PI they have been in contact with said 4 offers of admission have been given at this time.

I don’t find this too surprising.

I presume that we are all on an unofficial waiting list and are just waiting for accepted people to turn down offers of admission. Once that happens, someone on the “wait list” will receive an offer.

The real question is how many offers of admission have been accepted. 

Edited by BostonShaker

12 minutes ago, BostonShaker said:

I don’t find this too surprising.

I presume that we are all on an unofficial waiting list and are just waiting for accepted people to turn down offers of admission. Once that happens, someone on the “wait list” will receive an offer.

The real question is how many offers of admission have been accepted. 

Yeah, that's how the PI I wanted to join explained it to me.

7 minutes ago, DrHorse said:

Yikes, only 4? That does not make our odds of getting in very good ?

I'm hoping to do direct admit at this point, but every day waiting feels like I get hit with good news and then bad news the next.

Edited by __Wreckingball__

Has anyone heard from UC Berkeley's Immunity and Infectious Disease (IDI) programme? I haven't even heard back from it for interviews!

Also, any insight into UTMB vs Scripps, Florida for virology?? Am extremely torn between the two!!

29 minutes ago, PC99 said:

Has anyone heard from UC Berkeley's Immunity and Infectious Disease (IDI) programme? I haven't even heard back from it for interviews!

Also, any insight into UTMB vs Scripps, Florida for virology?? Am extremely torn between the two!!

Applied to both. Both are highly regarded within their field. If a PI has personally reached out to you from one, I would go to that one since the PI would see to have more of a commitment in taking you on as a student. Texas and Florida are also very different places which is something you should be aware of.

On 3/8/2021 at 9:53 PM, xanthan gum said:

Has anyone heard back from Brandeis MCB after the interview?

Are you an international student? If yes, here is the response I got from the admin:

"Everyone really enjoyed meeting you and the admissions committee has ranked you highly. Unfortunately, we are delayed in the timing of our offers to international students. So, while we can't make you an offer right now, it's possible that we will be in the next few weeks. Of course we understand if you have other opportunities you are considering - please keep us up to date as your plans evolve, and we will reach out to you as soon as we have more information."

At this point I am not even considering Brandeis as I have other admits. I hope this helps. Good luck. 

20 minutes ago, justwanttogosomewhere said:

Are you an international student? If yes, here is the response I got from the admin:

"Everyone really enjoyed meeting you and the admissions committee has ranked you highly. Unfortunately, we are delayed in the timing of our offers to international students. So, while we can't make you an offer right now, it's possible that we will be in the next few weeks. Of course we understand if you have other opportunities you are considering - please keep us up to date as your plans evolve, and we will reach out to you as soon as we have more information."

At this point I am not even considering Brandeis as I have other admits. I hope this helps. Good luck. 

Thanks for responding. I'm not an international student, no. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

On 2/6/2021 at 1:18 PM, behavioral_ecology said:

Has anyone else who already interviewed for Boston University - Biology gotten a final decision back yet? Or any word on when we might hear back a final decision?

Hi I got a waitlist email on Feb 26th. Did you hear anything from BU-bio?

On 3/13/2021 at 9:39 AM, biowindeer said:

Has anyone heard from MIT Biology after the interview? I haven't. I saw on the result page people got acceptance and waitlist.

Yes, MIT Bio admissions and waitlist decisions have been sent out at least for the most part

Just got a strange email from the Skaggs-Oxford programme telling me to apply to the Oxford DPhil in Biochemistry. I was wondering has anyone else heard back and know what the process and timeline for this second stage of application is like?

1 hour ago, justwanttogosomewhere said:

Anyone heard something from Tufts CMDB yet? They were going to reach out after the interviews pretty quick I was thinking. Just need to know decision from Tufts before deciding on other offers.  

No, I haven't heard anything. My guess is that they only sent out a few offers because they only have 3 spots, or that the offers will go out later this week. If you are trying to decide between programs I would email them and tell them that.

45 minutes ago, xanthan gum said:

No, I haven't heard anything. My guess is that they only sent out a few offers because they only have 3 spots, or that the offers will go out later this week. If you are trying to decide between programs I would email them and tell them that.

Yes, I already reached out to them yesterday and no response yet.. We will have to wait and see.. 3 spots is really less.. ?

On 7/12/2020 at 11:47 AM, queerorpheus said:

I'll be finishing my undergrad degree in biochemistry and molecular biology this upcoming academic year. I think I've been stressing myself out too much about PhD applications. I'm worried because I went to a small liberal arts college so I don't necessarily have a huge wealth of research experience. I have done research (that's hopefully getting published!), but it's in analytical chemistry because that's what was available to me. I'm looking at more bio focused schools but I don't even know if I have a good number of schools or the qualifications to get into any of them. So far I'm applying for:

Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School -- biochemistry and molecular biology

Ohio State -- biochemistry

Pitt -- molecular, cell, and developmental biology

University of Maryland -- molecular and cell biology 

I'll probably end up adding to this list because it seems like everyone applies to more programs. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hi I also applied for UMD MOCB. I have not received any update after the interview. Are you domestic student?

On 2/10/2021 at 12:59 PM, justwanttogosomewhere said:

I actually interviewed with BU for MCBB graduate program on 25th Jan. I think prospective students for CM program were also invited the same day! 

I remember them telling that they might interview few more people in Feb before making final decisions on all the applicants. I don't know if this only applies to MCBB program or even the CM program.  Fingers crossed for all of you!! 

How is your application to BU now? I got the waiting list email on Feb 26th, and no updates till now.