2021 Biology PhD Admissions Results

oskibear

On 8/4/2020 at 1:30 PM, sb248 said:

Academics:

GPA: 3.51 University of Washington Seattle (No particular trends in GPA, graduated August 2019) 

GRE: 157 V/ 167 Q/ 5 AW

Undergraduate Research: 
1 year as a student research volunteer with Seattle Children’s research studying concussion prevention. Presented research at undergraduate research symposium at the University of Washington. Assisted with a paper but don’t know if it will be published. 

Post Graduation Research: 
8 months as a clinical trial assistant with a contract research organization (CRO). I helped organize sites for clinical trials in the start up phase through close out. I also helped manage IRB submissions, subject tracking, and site personnel. 

2 months (will continue this position until the start of my graduate programs) 
Clinical research coordinator assisting with orthopedic research at a large institution 

Extracurricular:
Team Manager for University’s Sports Team: traveled with the team, helped with practices and games, learned about conditioning, nutrition, injury prevention, and rehabilitation. 

LORs: 
1 anatomy professor 
1 undergraduate PI/supervising coordinator 
1 current PI 

Schools I’m Looking At: 
University of Washington Biology 
UCSF Biomedical Sciences 
Stanford Biosciences 
University of Oregon Human Physiology 
USC Biokinesiology 
UCLA Molecular Cellular and Integrative Physiology 
UC Davis Molecular Cellular and Integrative Physiology 
UC San Diego Primary (Cellular, Molecular, Genetics) 

I know my research experiences aren’t for extended periods of time, but I’m hoping that along with my extracurricular they help reinforce my interest in sports medicine centered research. 

Based on my academics, is my list a little too top heavy? I’m worried I’m not applying to a variety of programs in terms of difficulty. I feel most of these schools are “reach programs” so I would appreciate any advice you may have on more schools or my current list. Thank you so much for all of your help! 

UCs and UW are notriorisly bad for some reason, unless you are determined to stay in west coast. I would suggest some other places also.  

On 2/6/2021 at 1:18 PM, behavioral_ecology said:

Has anyone else who already interviewed for Boston University - Biology gotten a final decision back yet? Or any word on when we might hear back a final decision?

I got an offer from them last week, but I applied to the neurobiology track

5 hours ago, behavioral_ecology said:

Congratulations!!!!

I know the department website makes it clear that Neuro/CM admissions are a different process from EBE/marine admissions. But this makes me hope I might hear back at least soon-ish! ?

I am waiting for this too! I applied for the EBE track and reached out to the grad coordinator last week but have not heard back yet.

Edited by SY21

1 hour ago, behavioral_ecology said:

Well please let me know if you hear anything! My potential advisor has provided updates here and there, so I will also share if I hear anything.

Will do! I did reach out to my potential advisor and he believes applications are still being processed at this time. I really hope we hear something back soon -- it's my top choice!

What other EBE programs have you applied to, if you don't mind me asking? Or did you post it in the other EBE thread? ?

Edited by SY21

48 minutes ago, SY21 said:

Will do! I did reach out to my potential advisor and he believes applications are still being processed at this time. I really hope we hear something back soon -- it's my top choice!

What other EBE programs have you applied to, if you don't mind me asking? Or did you post it in the other EBE thread? ?

Rejections from: UC Davis, U of Minnesota, U of Illinois, Stanford, UT Austin, and UCLA

Interview: BU

Unknown: U of Oklahoma

Also, feel free to DM me, too! I'd love to chat about Ecology stuff and hear about your thoughts on schools

2 hours ago, behavioral_ecology said:

Rejections from: UC Davis, U of Minnesota, U of Illinois, Stanford, UT Austin, and UCLA

Interview: BU

Unknown: U of Oklahoma

Also, feel free to DM me, too! I'd love to chat about Ecology stuff and hear about your thoughts on schools

Hello,

A fellow PhD applicant from India. I'm sorry if I missed this earlier, but has UT Austin sent out rejection emails for EEB yet? 

14 hours ago, thepuncess said:

I got an offer from them last week, but I applied to the neurobiology track

Congratulations!!!

I also interviewed at BU-biology (CM). However, I haven't heard back yet. Do you know anyone in the CM who interviewed and has heard back?

7 hours ago, Rohini said:

Hello,

A fellow PhD applicant from India. I'm sorry if I missed this earlier, but has UT Austin sent out rejection emails for EEB yet? 

UT Austin has not sent out official rejections yet, but I did confirm with my potential advisor that interview invites were already sent out. So I am just using that as a sign of rejection for me since I didn't get an invite.

6 hours ago, Adobbs said:

Has anyone received offers from UTSW BBS or UVA BIMS? If so, how long after your interview weekends did you get those offers?

Thanks!

Hey, I just heard back from UTSW BBS (interested in Molecular Microbiology track) a couple of hours ago with an acceptance. I interviewed this past Thursday/Friday, so their turnaround time was really fast.

On 2/4/2021 at 4:25 AM, DariaB said:

BU Professor told me That this year is really unfortunate for applying. Especially for international students. I have 3.7 GPA from German University, no publications yet, but also Internship and LoR from Harvard. 

I have already made plans for next year application just in case. For now I’m just anxious 

:((

I saw a few rejections for the Ph.D. Biology program at BU sent out on February 8th (yesterday).

Maybe there's still hope for an interview invite considering we did not receive a rejection yet?? <---- Just as anxious as you.

19 minutes ago, behavioral_ecology said:

Sorry to hear that! Had you interviewed with BU or not? I'm just unsure which "stage" of rejections they are at. Best of luck with all your other app!!!! ?

No, I didn’t have an interview with them, but I talked to lots of professors before my application.

19 hours ago, dymatthew said:

Hey, I just heard back from UTSW BBS (interested in Molecular Microbiology track) a couple of hours ago with an acceptance. I interviewed this past Thursday/Friday, so their turnaround time was really fast.

I interviewed Jan 14-15 at UVA BIMS and heard back on the 29th! 

8 hours ago, L-Dopamean said:

:((

I saw a few rejections for the Ph.D. Biology program at BU sent out on February 8th (yesterday).

Maybe there's still hope for an interview invite considering we did not receive a rejection yet?? <---- Just as anxious as you.

So far I have heard nothing from BU as  well... I just wish we’d get some sort of indication! Even if it’s a rejection, at least let me know! ?

6 hours ago, SY21 said:

So far I have heard nothing from BU as  well... I just wish we’d get some sort of indication! Even if it’s a rejection, at least let me know! ?

The wait is the worst! I got rejected by 3/5 schools, and 2/5 (NYU and BU) have no sort of indication! I am trying to stay positive and believe that not hearing back=good.

Which Biology department did you apply to at BU?

2 hours ago, L-Dopamean said:

The wait is the worst! I got rejected by 3/5 schools, and 2/5 (NYU and BU) have no sort of indication! I am trying to stay positive and believe that not hearing back=good.

Which Biology department did you apply to at BU?

I'm sorry to hear that and am also electing to believe that no news is good news, lol! The POI I spoke with said that they are still reviewing applications and I am going to take his word for it...

I applied to the EBE track! Specifically, I hope to study microbial ecology. What about you?

Hoping for our sanity that we get all our decisions soon!

Just now, SY21 said:

I'm sorry to hear that and am also electing to believe that no news is good news, lol! The POI I spoke with said that they are still reviewing applications and I am going to take his word for it...

I applied to the EBE track! Specifically, I hope to study microbial ecology. What about you?

Hoping for our sanity that we get all our decisions soon!

Thank you :) Lmao, denial/staying optimistic is what we need to curb the uncertainty.

I applied to the Cell & Molecular Biology (CM) department. Do you have any idea about interviews/acceptances/rejections for the same?

I hope so too! All the best for your results. I will keep you posted!!

Just now, L-Dopamean said:

Thank you :) Lmao, denial/staying optimistic is what we need to curb the uncertainty.

I applied to the Cell & Molecular Biology (CM) department. Do you have any idea about interviews/acceptances/rejections for the same?

I hope so too! All the best for your results. I will keep you posted!!

Lol! It's hard enough out here without our pessimism making it worse!

And, I have no idea about the timelines for the other tracks... I did read somewhere else on here that the different departments have different schedules, though? Maybe someone else can weigh in on this?

Best of luck to you, too! All it takes is one program to say "yes"! I'll update if/when BU reaches out.

Just now, SY21 said:

Lol! It's hard enough out here without our pessimism making it worse!

And, I have no idea about the timelines for the other tracks... I did read somewhere else on here that the different departments have different schedules, though? Maybe someone else can weigh in on this?

Best of luck to you, too! All it takes is one program to say "yes"! I'll update if/when BU reaches out.

I am actually counting down for March (which is when I will know for sure!)

Yes, that is true- Different departments have different timelines. They mention that on the BU website too!

Thank you very much *fingers crossed*.

NEED.TO.HEAR.BACK.SOON.