2021 Biology PhD Admissions Results

oskibear

On 12/22/2020 at 2:20 PM, hot leaf juice said:

hiiii! I thought I would stop lurking and share my invites and stats just in case it helps anyone. 

Interviews: 

• JHU CMM - Jan 14-15 (email Dec 21)
  • JHU Pathobiology - Jan 7-9 (email Dec 18)
  • Northwestern DGP - Feb 11-12 (idk why this will not un-bold) (email Dec 17)
  • UCSD BMS - Initial date doesn't work for me so they are going to send me other dates (soon I think)? (email Dec 18)
  • Duke CMB - Feb 4-5 (email Dec 16)
  • Harvard BBS - Jan 19-22 (email Dec 18)
  • Vanderbilt IGP - Feb 19 (just got back to me today, so it seems like they are still in the process of reviewing)
  • UNC BBSP - Canceled this interview though (email Dec 4)

I did not get an interview for UPenn CAMB GTV, which is kind of a bummer since my PI is an alumni. Idk admissions seems like a black box to me ??

Stats

• Undergrad: not an ivy, but something close 
  • GPA: 3.9
  • Research - 2 years in developmental bio lab @ current university (academic year + summers (this was my biggest research experience)) + 2 semesters in bio eng lab @ current university (academic year only) + 1 summer of research at local state university in developmental bio lab 
  • Letters - Current PI + advisor + professor who knows me well 
  • No pubs or presentations
  • No GRE
  • Domestic student 

Oh! How did you find out that you didn't get an interview from GTV? I also applied and haven't heard back yet ;(

40 minutes ago, astrogirl said:

Oh! How did you find out that you didn't get an interview from GTV? I also applied and haven't heard back yet ;(

When I emailed the program coordinator last week, she replied “Applications have been reviewed, and invitations are in the process of being sent. GTV received many outstanding applications, and the application system will be updated as soon as possible.” 

So, I’m not 100% sure, but I haven’t heard anything from them and she replied on Dec 22. ? 

3 minutes ago, hot leaf juice said:

When I emailed the program coordinator last week, she replied “Applications have been reviewed, and invitations are in the process of being sent. GTV received many outstanding applications, and the application system will be updated as soon as possible.” 

So, I’m not 100% sure, but I haven’t heard anything from them and she replied on Dec 22. ? 

ahhhh shoot Dm'd you!

Is there anyone who has not heard back regarding their application from the University of Michigan PIBS PhD program?

Until Christmas, I saw a bunch people post interview invites or rejections from PIBS on the results page but it has since stopped. I am trying to figure out if they have a wait list. This will give an idea to those that got the interview invite what their chances are. If there is no wait list, then your chances of receiving offer of admission should be higher.  

25 minutes ago, baristaaaa said:

Has anyone heard from UC Berkeley or University of Washington for microbiology? 

I heard from UW microbiology on 12/20 for an interview invite but I didn’t apply to UC berkeley 

9 hours ago, baristaaaa said:

Has anyone heard from UC Berkeley or University of Washington for microbiology? 

I got an interview from Berkeley's micro program on December 15th

23 hours ago, antibody33 said:

Hi Guys!!  Is it weird to contact profs to talk about projects/fit in their lab after being invited to the school for an interview?  Would that look weird, especially if you are formally interviewed by them during recruitment?

Thoughts???

If anything, it may be a little irritating because faculty are pressed for time, and they're already planning to dedicate time exclusively to you for your interview. You'll be talking to them about projects/fit during the interview, so it's just redundant and unnecessary. If you're just trying to ensure you leave a good impression, just send a well-written follow up "Thank you" email after your interview. :)

20 hours ago, jakeperalta said:

Hello! I saw you put WashU as a rejection -- if you don't mind, what division program did you apply for? 

17 hours ago, virushunter said:

immunology! 

Has anyone not heard from WashU DBBS Immunology? An invite would be nice but a not-rejection is also nice, I suppose...

On 12/29/2020 at 10:08 PM, antibody33 said:

Hi Guys!!  Is it weird to contact profs to talk about projects/fit in their lab after being invited to the school for an interview?  Would that look weird, especially if you are formally interviewed by them during recruitment?

Thoughts???

It might be redundant if you end up formally interviewing with them anyways. I would wait until you get your recruitment schedule from the program that says who you’ll be interviewing with. 
If there’s a faculty member you’re interested in but you don’t get to meet them during recruitment, I don’t think there would be anything weird about contacting them, either before the interview or you could even wait until after the interview or receiving an admissions offer

Hi, guys.

I just wonder when will the program tell me the details of my interview like who I'll be interviewing with?

I've heared that most of schools would give us the list of professors like a week or two weeks before the interview date. Is it true? 

8 hours ago, jill1997 said:

Hi, guys.

I just wonder when will the program tell me the details of my interview like who I'll be interviewing with?

I've heared that most of schools would give us the list of professors like a week or two weeks before the interview date. Is it true? 

I think this depends on the school and the program, as well as the dates of your interview. I wouldn't worry too much about this unless your interview is next week. Faculty are likely at home with their families celebrating the new year and I would give them some space until Monday and then reach out if you're truly concerned. 

9 hours ago, jill1997 said:

Hi, guys.

I have an interview next week and that school sent my schedule with faculty members early last week (so that’s ~2.5 week notice). Other schools have said they aim to send faculty interviews at least 5-7 days before.

7 hours ago, helpert said:

I have an interview next week and that school sent my schedule with faculty members early last week (so that’s ~2.5 week notice). Other schools have said they aim to send faculty interviews at least 5-7 days before.

Thanks~ Did they give the names of the faculty members?

I had an interview on Jan 15th but haven't heard anything. Maybe I should wait until the holiday ends.

1 hour ago, jill1997 said:

Thanks~ Did they give the names of the faculty members?

I had an interview on Jan 15th but haven't heard anything. Maybe I should wait until the holiday ends.

Yes, they gave me the names!

I would advise waiting. The program office is probably closed for the holidays. I would say that if you haven't heard from the program a week before the interview, it would be fine to email them and gently ask when they plan to send interview details/itinerary. Good luck :)

Just now, jakeperalta said:

2 straight rejections for this girl -- 7 left to go, with no interview invites as of yet. Second cycle. so close to just giving up all hope again

Most people don’t get in everywhere. My hopes were pretty low about a week ago but then I started looking for backups. It made me realize that we can get in to a PhD program—it’s just a matter of when. Maybe we’ll put in some years as a lab tech and redefine our interests? Regardless: if you want it, go for it.

On 12/23/2020 at 10:37 AM, helpert said:

Hi, I also recieved a vandy interview invite yesterday!

I was surprised to see that they are squishing everything into one day. On the Hello PhD podcast about virtual interviews, Beth Bowman (vandy biomed grad director) talked a lot about zoom fatigue, so I expected them to break it up into at least a couple days...guess not!

I LOVE the Hello PHD podcast!! It was definitely the most insight I have been able to find into the process. They have an earlier episode I think 106 that talks about in person interviews and listening to that helps to think about questions to ask PI's and current students. Beth did that episode as well. 

1 hour ago, Stadman said:

I LOVE the Hello PHD podcast!! It was definitely the most insight I have been able to find into the process. They have an earlier episode I think 106 that talks about in person interviews and listening to that helps to think about questions to ask PI's and current students. Beth did that episode as well. 

Agreed - it's been a great resource throughout this whole process! That first episode about interviews (in person) is also helpful, their tips for faculty one-on-ones will still apply even to virtual interviews.

Got rejected from Cornell's Plant Biology program last week! 

Here are my stats: 

3.62 UC GPA from 2 years of undergrad at UCSD and 1.5 years at UC Berkeley (I transferred from UCSD to UCB after 2 years). 

1 year research experience at Zymo Research Corp in Irvine California 

No Publications 

Applied: UCLA, Cal, Yale, Brown, MIT, Stanford, UCD, Cornell, Duke, UCSB

Rejected: Cornell 

Interview Invites: None