2021 Biology PhD Admissions Results

oskibear

11 hours ago, hot leaf juice said:

Yes! A bit nervous because the interview is only one day so less chances to mess up haha 

Hi, I also recieved a vandy interview invite yesterday!

I was surprised to see that they are squishing everything into one day. On the Hello PhD podcast about virtual interviews, Beth Bowman (vandy biomed grad director) talked a lot about zoom fatigue, so I expected them to break it up into at least a couple days...guess not!

1 hour ago, helpert said:

Hi, I also recieved a vandy interview invite yesterday!

I was surprised to see that they are squishing everything into one day. On the Hello PhD podcast about virtual interviews, Beth Bowman (vandy biomed grad director) talked a lot about zoom fatigue, so I expected them to break it up into at least a couple days...guess not!

I went to OSU and was in their BSGP. They have a geat program and faculty are amazing!

13 hours ago, hot leaf juice said:

Yes! A bit nervous because the interview is only one day so less chances to mess up haha 

I'd recommend finding someone (or people) to mock interview with! Practice helps so much. 

44 minutes ago, Naima77 said:

I went to OSU and was in their BSGP. They have a geat program and faculty are amazing!

Cool! Definitely a great program with a lot of cancer research options (what I'd like to do)

2 hours ago, Naima77 said:

Anyone apply to or hear from Tufts, MUSC,UMass, Temple or Texas-Austin?

I received an interview invite from UMass Med yesterday. I applied to the BBS program. It seems like they have sent some invites kind of sporadically, I am not sure. I applied to Tufts and haven't heard anything. I hope this helps!

Edit: I just heard from Tufts!

Edited by scientist1313

I got an interview today from NYU Vilcek!! My first choice program is Mechanism of Disease, if that helps anyone.

I thought I wouldn't get an invitation since so many other programs I applied to already sent out invites. Good luck to everyone! Hoping you get that invite you're not even expecting as I did today!!

Just saw a few Cold Spring Harbor Labs interview invites - if those successful candidates wouldn't mind sharing their application profiles or more details about the invites (dates, with PI only or multi-part session, generic or personalized, etc.?) that would be much appreciated!

I'm hoping to nab a neuro spot and it doesn't look like any other neuro CSHL applicants have heard back so looking for any info. Thanks!

20 hours ago, capa_detated said:

Just saw a few Cold Spring Harbor Labs interview invites - if those successful candidates wouldn't mind sharing their application profiles or more details about the invites (dates, with PI only or multi-part session, generic or personalized, etc.?) that would be much appreciated!

I'm hoping to nab a neuro spot and it doesn't look like any other neuro CSHL applicants have heard back so looking for any info. Thanks!

I got invited to CSHL! So about me, community college transfer with 3 AS degrees (3.83), then transferred to UC Berkeley (3.91). I had 2 years undergrad research, then did post-bacc research at UCSF. There, I was able to publish 3 papers (2 first-author and 1 second author) and 1 poster. Minority in the field and come from financially disadvantaged background, hence the community college route. Explained all this in my PS. My invite dates are Feb. 16-17 and according to the email, I had the option of selecting 5 PIs who I would be interested in interviewing with, further details will come in the mail according to the program manager. 

Hope these answer your questions! 

21 hours ago, ProspectiveGrad21 said:

I got an interview today from NYU Vilcek!! My first choice program is Mechanism of Disease, if that helps anyone.

I thought I wouldn't get an invitation since so many other programs I applied to already sent out invites. Good luck to everyone! Hoping you get that invite you're not even expecting as I did today!!

Congrats!! Do you mind sharing when you submitted your application? It’s so weird they’re sending out the invites so sporadically. I also did Mechanisms and Disease, submitted my portion of the app in October, but one of my letter of recs was slow and didn’t submit until right before deadline...

On 12/23/2020 at 1:18 PM, scientist1313 said:

I received an interview invite from UMass Med yesterday. I applied to the BBS program. It seems like they have sent some invites kind of sporadically, I am not sure. I applied to Tufts and haven't heard anything. I hope this helps!

Edit: I just heard from Tufts!

I heard from them, too. But i have so many back to back, that I couldnt even schedule them!

9 hours ago, biolgurl said:

Congrats!! Do you mind sharing when you submitted your application? It’s so weird they’re sending out the invites so sporadically. I also did Mechanisms and Disease, submitted my portion of the app in October, but one of my letter of recs was slow and didn’t submit until right before deadline...

Sure, no problem!

I submitted the application October 18th. Yeah, I think it's weird that they send them out at different times. The interview dates they offered me were either March 1st and 2nd or March 1st and 5th. So given the late interview dates, maybe they'll still send out invites into January(?).

One of my recommender's submitted their letter on November 25th, so my application wasn't entirely complete till then. Hope this helps.

Edited by ProspectiveGrad21

here's where i'm at:

I:

WUSTL DBBS (comp and sys bio)

UCLA Bioinformatics

NYU Vilceck (comp bio track)

UMASS 

R:

university of washington genome sci :(

no result yet .. ? 

harvard bioinformatics and integrative genomics

MIT computational and systems biology

TRI-i computational biology and medicine 

Anyone else low-key panicking about their interviews? My first one is on the 7/8th, so right after the holiday break.

I'm currently looking over notes from research I did as a freshman in undergrad and my memory is so hazy ? Does anyone know how in detail I need to know this science? (Like if I ran BCA assay, I need to remember that it measure the protein concentration because the peptide bonds in the protein reduce cupric ions, etc) 

4 hours ago, StemCells4Lyfe said:

Anyone else low-key panicking about their interviews? My first one is on the 7/8th, so right after the holiday break.

I'm currently looking over notes from research I did as a freshman in undergrad and my memory is so hazy ? Does anyone know how in detail I need to know this science? (Like if I ran BCA assay, I need to remember that it measure the protein concentration because the peptide bonds in the protein reduce cupric ions, etc) 

Some interviewers might ask the details and protocols of your experiments but not often ( as least from what i know) 

I would recommend you focus on why and what you expect to get from the experiment and how you interpret the result.