2021 Biology PhD Admissions Results

oskibear

2 hours ago, prospective_molbio said:

Kinda off topic, but do y'all think that schools will be interviewing more applicants this year? Because they won't be having to pay to fly people out, etc? Just trying to gauge my chances of getting accepted after interviews. 

I have also been wondering about this. I feel it would make sense to offer more since it won't cost as much, but it also seems as though they have the same amount of interview days at many schools, so they are still limited by the number of students they can actually interview in a day. So I think it is possible they interview more, but they can't interview substantially more as they are still limited by time constraints to some degree. I don't know any of this for certain, I have just been overthinking this a lot while stressing out waiting to hear back from schools

5 hours ago, sirtuingirl said:

Molecular Biology of Aging, what about yours?

Do you know if they have interviews? Because the admissions section on the website doesn't say anything about interview or recruiting visit. 

Exciting! Mine falls under "Response to Pathogens". 

I'd been in contact with a couple faculty there and attended one of their recruiting events, but I don't recall anything being said about interviews. I just assumed they're doing interviews like everyone else. I'm sure we'll hear something soon! 

6 minutes ago, dejosco said:

Exciting! Mine falls under "Response to Pathogens". 

I'd been in contact with a couple faculty there and attended one of their recruiting events, but I don't recall anything being said about interviews. I just assumed they're doing interviews like everyone else. I'm sure we'll hear something soon! 

Best wishes to you. Can you try to find out if there will be interviews. I am not sure because there is no mention of that in the admissions page. All other programs I have applied to, say something about interview/recruiting visit. Brown Biology & Neuro mention interviews, just not the MCBGP.

1 hour ago, sirtuingirl said:

Best wishes to you. Can you try to find out if there will be interviews. I am not sure because there is no mention of that in the admissions page. All other programs I have applied to, say something about interview/recruiting visit. Brown Biology & Neuro mention interviews, just not the MCBGP.

I can! I'll keep you posted. 

9 hours ago, ProspectiveGrad21 said:

So I am not sure if the person that posted that they got an interview invite actually got it from BBS. There's another person who said they got an invite from Harvard BMS-Immunology, so idk if that's even really bbs too(?)

Harvard does have a separate Immunology PhD program that is apart from BBS, so I figured maybe it's that. Historically, Harvard BBS invites come out all on the same day which is why I was skeptical when only one person posted.

Yeah I think you might be right. I also wondered about the immunology part but then one poster just straight up said BBS, which is why I figured I would ask on the forum because if invites had gone out surely someone here would have heard from them. Looks like no one has so maybe it was a different program after all. Unclench.

I received an interview invitation from Berkeley for the Microbiology Ph.D. program this evening! Has anyone else? I was so stunned when I got the call (thought this was my "reach" school), that I completely missed all of the details about some email we're supposed to receive soon. 

6 hours ago, jill1997 said:

Does anyone get some ideas or tips for how to select a list of faculty with whom you would like to meet? I feel the time for selecting is tight and there are so many publications to read.  

Well, most website faculty lists have a short blurb about their interests/research (stem cells, breast cancer, HIV etc.) so that's a good place to start. If it's selecting for a specific department instead of an umbrella, it's even more narrowed down. If there's way too many that share your interests, then I'd say maybe skim their latest 1-2 papers. Honestly, just the abstracts should give you an idea. When you've done your selection you can deep-dive for the interview

Hey, just chiming in!

Has anyone heard back from Harvard virology or Yale microbiology? Seems like they released interview invites around this time last year, but I haven't seen any of these programs in the "results" page yet. Anxious!!!

Edited by chnsmggt

3 minutes ago, chnsmggt said:

Hey, just chiming in!

Has anyone heard back from Harvard virology or Yale microbiology? Seems like they released interview invites around this time last year, but I haven't seen any of these programs in the "results" page yet. Anxious!!!

I also applied to Harvard Virology, no word yet.

1 hour ago, chnsmggt said:

Hey, just chiming in!

Will they release the virology with the bbs invites? Or do you think they will be separate? 

Hey all anybody on here applying for cancer biology or biomedical sciences at any of these schools (I applied to these and am starting to get nervous since Im not hearing anything back): University of Minnesota (MICaB), UCSF (BMS), UCSD (BMS), University of Washington (genome sciences), USF-Moffitt (cancer biology), City of Hope (biological sciences), University of Cincinnati (cancer and cell biology), and University of Illinois-Chicago (GEMS). Please let me known and Id also love to connect to anyone who applied to these programs :)!!

Got a request from emory dev bio admissions for a quick zoom call tomorrow. I think emory has done these quick meetings in the past to gauge interests etc before sending official interview invites? Still only have one official interview from stanford dev bio. No word from anywhere else. Good luck everyone! Should be a stressful weekend

9 minutes ago, devcby said:

Got a request from emory dev bio admissions for a quick zoom call tomorrow. I think emory has done these quick meetings in the past to gauge interests etc before sending official interview invites? Still only have one official interview from stanford dev bio. No word from anywhere else. Good luck everyone! Should be a stressful weekend

Yeah- UConn is doing the same thing. I have a prelim interview next week!

Just got an email from Baylor, said my application has been moved from my first choice immunology and micro to second choice cancer and cellular, probably my experience has nothing to do with immune :(

2 hours ago, Cancerbiologisttobe_ said:

Hey all anybody on here applying for cancer biology or biomedical sciences at any of these schools (I applied to these and am starting to get nervous since Im not hearing anything back): University of Minnesota (MICaB), UCSF (BMS), UCSD (BMS), University of Washington (genome sciences), USF-Moffitt (cancer biology), City of Hope (biological sciences), University of Cincinnati (cancer and cell biology), and University of Illinois-Chicago (GEMS). Please let me known and Id also love to connect to anyone who applied to these programs :)!!

I applied to UCSF (BMS)! They haven't sent anything out yet but I think they will by this week. I don't know this definitely because someone told me, I am just basing it off of previous years' timelines  good luck!