2021 Biology PhD Admissions Results

oskibear

2 hours ago, BostonShaker said:

How do y'all plan to figure out if a program's vibe or location is a good fit since there won't be in-person interviews? Maybe rely more heavily on grad student testimonials? 

I think this will be the toughest part about interviews/deciding on programs. Grad student testimonials is really the main/only source we’ll have to figure out the vibe of a program. Some schools might try to do a “virtual” tour of campus/location? Not really sure how that would work!

a couple of the programs I applied to are local-ish to me, so if I interview there and like it (and get offered admission), I might take my own day- or weekend-trip just to feel out the campus/location (of course depending on COVID situation in ~March).

2 hours ago, BostonShaker said:

How do y'all plan to figure out if a program's vibe or location is a good fit since there won't be in-person interviews? Maybe rely more heavily on grad student testimonials? 

Im at the "Ill take what I can get" stage so I don't think this will cross my mind unless I get more than 1 acceptance haha

21 hours ago, BostonShaker said:

You can get a general vibe by reading the student handbook associated with program[s].  Another thing you might do is email students in the program/lab and ask them directly.   I did this in the past and got good results; sent out about 90 emails and had received about 70 responses.  No joke.  Yeah, it's tedious but you are looking at potentially spending 5 - 7 years in a new location, doing your research on the program is imperative. 

Professors/PIs are also pretty honest.  What I didn't realize until I was in my MS program is that graduate school puts emphasis on extending invites (interviews) and admits to those deemed most likely to say yes.  Resources are going to be invested to bring, and keep you, in the program for half a decade or longer.  No one wants to waste their time, or yours. Because of this it is also worth your time to get in touch with professors, PIs, program directors, etc. before you get an interview.  Ask them if they are willing to chat about the program and their lab/research.  Like with students, you might be surprised at how many faculty are willing (and excited) to talk about the program and/or their own research with you. 

Not all interviews are on-campus.  Even before Covid-19, some interviews were over the phone or Skype.  Some programs do not interview at all and of those that do you could still be admitted without an interview.  Other programs may also invite students to the campus after they are admitted, whether they had an interview or not.  

Also if you're an International student, I made a separate topic called 2021 International Biomedical Applicants since we see a few different things on the admissions side. I've also noticed a lot of interview results dont include Internationals so it would be nice for us to keep track between ourselves!

Just now, TiredandBroke said:

Also if you're an International student, I made a separate topic called 2021 International Biomedical Applicants since we see a few different things on the admissions side. I've also noticed a lot of interview results dont include Internationals so it would be nice for us to keep track between ourselves!

This is great! I’ll go check it out now.

2 hours ago, sirtuingirl said:

Has anyone applied to the Brown MCBGP (I don't mean Brown Biology or Brown Neuroscience)?

Yep! One of my top choices. Which area are you interested in? 

Although I've been religiously checking the results page and this forum, I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about when interviews will be sent out for these programs?

Weill Cornell Pharmacology, Stony Brook Pharmacology, Rockefeller, Mt. Sinai, MSK, NYU Vileck, Einstein, CSH

I haven't heard of anyone hearing back from any of these places yet, but was hoping someone had an idea of when we might hear!

59 minutes ago, dejosco said:

Yep! One of my top choices. Which area are you interested in? 

Molecular Biology of Aging, what about yours?

Do you know if they have interviews? Because the admissions section on the website doesn't say anything about interview or recruiting visit. 

Edited by sirtuingirl

19 minutes ago, Annalisa1 said:

Although I've been religiously checking the results page and this forum, I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about when interviews will be sent out for these programs?

Weill Cornell Pharmacology, Stony Brook Pharmacology, Rockefeller, Mt. Sinai, MSK, NYU Vileck, Einstein, CSH

I haven't heard of anyone hearing back from any of these places yet, but was hoping someone had an idea of when we might hear!

I haven't heard anything from Icahn Biomed/Neuro

1 hour ago, pipettingerror said:

Has anyone here heard from Harvard BBS today?

So I am not sure if the person that posted that they got an interview invite actually got it from BBS. There's another person who said they got an invite from Harvard BMS-Immunology, so idk if that's even really bbs too(?)

Harvard does have a separate Immunology PhD program that is apart from BBS, so I figured maybe it's that. Historically, Harvard BBS invites come out all on the same day which is why I was skeptical when only one person posted.

Edited by ProspectiveGrad21

On 12/15/2020 at 1:09 PM, Annalisa1 said:

Of those schools I've only applied to NYU Vilcek. Historically, NYU sends out their interview invites by the end of this week--so if we get an interview we'll hear back then. Good luck!

Just now, ProspectiveGrad21 said:

So I am not sure if the person that posted that they got an interview invite actually got it from BBS. There's another person who said they got an invite from Harvard BMS-Immunology, so idk if that's even really bbs too(?)

Harvard does have a separate Immunology PhD program that is apart from BBS, so I figured maybe it's that. Historically, Harvard BBS invites come out all on the same day which is why I was skeptical when only one person posted.

I agree with this, I was noticing the same thing as I was confused because of the separate immunology program.

14 minutes ago, prospective_molbio said:

Kinda off topic, but do y'all think that schools will be interviewing more applicants this year? Because they won't be having to pay to fly people out, etc? Just trying to gauge my chances of getting accepted after interviews. 

I think it depends on the school. UPitt said they might be accepting fewer students since a lot deferred from F20 so they might interview less too. I dont think any place has outright stated if they're interviewing/admitting more or less students.