2021 Biology PhD Admissions Results

oskibear

Hey all, 

Throwing another update in the thread.

I've heard back from 5 of my 9 programs thus far:

UW - Immunology, UW - MCB, UCSF - BMS, Boston U - PiBS, Harvard - BBS, Brown - MCBGP, UPenn - CAMB, UNC - BBSP, Duke - BSP Immunology

I haven't heard back from Harvard, but I'm sure I did not receive an invite based off the responses from others in these threads.

Has anybody heard from UW Immunology or Duke BSP?

1 hour ago, icsyr said:

Hey all, 

UW - Immunology, UW - MCB, UCSF - BMS, Boston U - PiBS, Harvard - BBS, Brown - MCBGP, UPenn - CAMB, UNC - BBSP, Duke - BSP Immunology

I haven't heard back from Harvard, but I'm sure I did not receive an invite based off the responses from others in these threads.

I also applied to UW-Immunology and BU-PiBS and haven't heard from either of them. BU-PiBS usually sends out invites just before Christmas and UW-Immunology sends invites the week of new year's. So we'll find out by the end of the month!

We made a snap group to stress together, join “Applications And Anxiety?” on Snapchat. Tap the link to join! https://www.snapchat.com/invite/NjYxYzY3MzktZTk5OC0zOTdkLWJhYTMtYjgyODA1ZGJiZGQ5/YmJiNGFlZWEtOTdlYS00ODU5LWE5NjYtYzM0YWExODFmZjE4?

As high school musical said, we're all in this together ?

Edited by TiredandBroke

13 hours ago, icsyr said:

Hey all, 

Which track/sub-program did you apply to for Brown MCBGP, UPenn-CAMB and UNC BBSP?

1 minute ago, sirtuingirl said:

Which track/sub-program did you apply to for Brown MCBGP, UPenn-CAMB and UNC BBSP?

For UPenn CAMB, I did MVP (Microbiology, Virology, and Parasitology)

For UNC BBSP, I did (in order): immunology, DNA Repair and Genome Stability, Cell Biology, Translational Medicine, and Systems Biology

For Brown...I can't find it in the portal, but I would've selected Response to Pathogens, then Cell Signaling. I was not one of the people interested in the biology of aging.

20 minutes ago, icsyr said:

For UPenn CAMB, I did MVP (Microbiology, Virology, and Parasitology)

For UNC BBSP, I did (in order): immunology, DNA Repair and Genome Stability, Cell Biology, Translational Medicine, and Systems Biology

For Brown...I can't find it in the portal, but I would've selected Response to Pathogens, then Cell Signaling. I was not one of the people interested in the biology of aging.

Congrats! We chose the same tracks for Penn and Brown. I'm assuming I'm not getting an interview for Penn now, but it's all Gucci. ?

14 hours ago, Shannon3942 said:

I heard back from Emory Cancer Biology on December 18th, last Friday. I don't know about other Emory programs though and if they send out all of their invitations at once (versus rolling basis). Good luck with everything!

Thanks. it's probably a no go for me, then. I heard others form the mmunology program heard back. I was really hoping they would be interested in me! :(. Blessings on your interview, hun!

I heard back from Emory Cancer Biology on December 18th, last Friday. I don't know about other Emory programs though and if they send out all of their invitations at once (versus rolling basis). Good luck with everything!

You got a message form UMass? Nice!

Thanks. it's probably a no go for me, then. I heard others form the mmunology program heard back. I was really hoping they would be interested in me! :(. Blessings on your interview, hun!

11 minutes ago, Naima77 said:

You literally have all the top tier programs. You dont have any middle na low tier?

What counts as middle and low tier??

Go big or go home I guess haha, I just picked good schools whose program I liked and would be happy attending 

Edited by TiredandBroke

15 hours ago, icsyr said:

Hey all, 

Congrats! When did you hear back from Brown?

hiiii! I thought I would stop lurking and share my invites and stats just in case it helps anyone. 

Interviews: 

• JHU CMM - Jan 14-15 (email Dec 21)
  • JHU Pathobiology - Jan 7-9 (email Dec 18)
  • Northwestern DGP - Feb 11-12 (idk why this will not un-bold) (email Dec 17)
  • UCSD BMS - Initial date doesn't work for me so they are going to send me other dates (soon I think)? (email Dec 18)
  • Duke CMB - Feb 4-5 (email Dec 16)
  • Harvard BBS - Jan 19-22 (email Dec 18)
  • Vanderbilt IGP - Feb 19 (just got back to me today, so it seems like they are still in the process of reviewing)
  • UNC BBSP - Canceled this interview though (email Dec 4)

I did not get an interview for UPenn CAMB GTV, which is kind of a bummer since my PI is an alumni. Idk admissions seems like a black box to me ??

Stats

• Undergrad: not an ivy, but something close 
  • GPA: 3.9
  • Research - 2 years in developmental bio lab @ current university (academic year + summers (this was my biggest research experience)) + 2 semesters in bio eng lab @ current university (academic year only) + 1 summer of research at local state university in developmental bio lab 
  • Letters - Current PI + advisor + professor who knows me well 
  • No pubs or presentations
  • No GRE
  • Domestic student 

Just now, hot leaf juice said:

hiiii! I thought I would stop lurking and share my invites and stats just in case it helps anyone. 

Interviews: 

• JHU CMM - Jan 14-15 (email Dec 21)
  • JHU Pathobiology - Jan 7-9 (email Dec 18)
  • Northwestern DGP - Feb 11-12 (idk why this will not un-bold) (email Dec 17)
  • UCSD BMS - Initial date doesn't work for me so they are going to send me other dates (soon I think)? (email Dec 18)
  • Duke CMB - Feb 4-5 (email Dec 16)
  • Harvard BBS - Jan 19-22 (email Dec 18)
  • Vanderbilt IGP - Feb 19 (just got back to me today, so it seems like they are still in the process of reviewing)
  • UNC BBSP - Canceled this interview though (email Dec 4)

I did not get an interview for UPenn CAMB GTV, which is kind of a bummer since my PI is an alumni. Idk admissions seems like a black box to me ??

Stats

• Undergrad: not an ivy, but something close 
  • GPA: 3.9
  • Research - 2 years in developmental bio lab @ current university (academic year + summers (this was my biggest research experience)) + 2 semesters in bio eng lab @ current university (academic year only) + 1 summer of research at local state university in developmental bio lab 
  • Letters - Current PI + advisor + professor who knows me well 
  • No pubs or presentations
  • No GRE
  • Domestic student 

I got one from Vandy too. Excited?

2 hours ago, StemCells4Lyfe said:

Congrats! When did you hear back from Brown?

I heard from Brown yesterday afternoon via phone call. Then an email was sent in the evening.

I also heard from UW MCB yesterday afternoon.

Just heard from Duke Immunology this afternoon. 

3 hours ago, TiredandBroke said:

What counts as middle and low tier??

Go big or go home I guess haha, I just picked good schools whose program I liked and would be happy attending 

No sense in paying $50-100 to apply to a school that doesn't have any research/labs you're interested in!