2021 Biology PhD Admissions Results

oskibear

17 hours ago, __Wreckingball__ said:

Has anyone heard back from UTMB? I'm assuming with the terrible storms in Texas we can be looking at Texas decisions being delayed by an extra 1-2 weeks. 

Applied: Columbia SoM (Biosciences), Boston University SoM (PiBS), University of Texas Medical Branch (M&I), UCSF (TETRAD)

Accepted: 0/4

Rejected: 2/4

Waitlisted for Interview: BU PiBS

I haven't heard back from UTMB GSBS or M&I. I expect to hear back within the next two weeks--hopefully by this Friday.

7 hours ago, ProspectiveGrad21 said:

Ah okay, glad to know I'm not in this boat alone. 

Thanks! I hope NYU works out, if not then it's no grad school for me (unless being on the waitlist for BU actually means anything). 

Hopefully things work out for you too! 

I am in the same boat too. Haven't heard back at all from Harvard. So at this point if there's no interview call probably means a rejection? 

On 2/21/2021 at 4:30 PM, helpert said:

I received my official Yale BBS rejection on the 18th. (Email to check app portal for decision) nothing from Harvard yet..probably soon

Weird that they don't just reject everyone all at one especially at this time in the application process. But thanks for the reply! I hope you get into other schools!

19 hours ago, CRISPRitout said:

I am in the same boat too. Haven't heard back at all from Harvard. So at this point if there's no interview call probably means a rejection? 

I'm assuming that that's the case. But, you never know I guess. For myself, I'm just seeing the no reply as a rejection but still would like to have an actual update from them.

2 hours ago, icsyr said:

Anyone out there thinking about UCSF or UPenn? Starting to become extremely torn over the two.

They are both top-tier (especially for Immunology). The cost of living in San Francisco is crazy. UPenn has a great campus but if you prefer to live in a moderate climate, then I'd recommend UCSF. So you could really decide based on living conditions as program-wise they are both top-notch.

5 hours ago, icsyr said:

Anyone out there thinking about UCSF or UPenn? Starting to become extremely torn over the two.

Well, I would first contact PIs to make sure the ones you like are actually taking rotation/permanent grad students. Then weigh the pros/cons of opportunities and development. I would also say look at the cities. I think UCSFs $42k stipend is tough for the really high cost of living. The program and college is important but since you'll be living there for 5-6yrs, the city and cost of living matters too. 

Accepted to Princeton molecular biology (based on results it seems they sent all acceptances and rejections today?). Also was rejected from Harvard BBS pretty much at the same time (knew it was coming).

Very excited for Princeton will probably be attending (unless I potentially get into Stanford then idk). Incredibly fortunate to have these offers. 

1 hour ago, __Wreckingball__ said:

Contacted UTMB today, they said "The admissions committes are still reviewing applications, and most decisions are made by mid-April". That being said, some offers appear to already have been made.

Ugh. That’s what I figured. I was talking with a UTMB professor a couple weeks ago  and they suggested that the adcom sends acceptances all the way up to April 15, often very close to April.

3 minutes ago, BostonShaker said:

Ugh. That’s what I figured. I was talking with a UTMB professor a couple weeks ago  and they suggested that the adcom sends acceptances all the way up to April 15, often very close to April.

Yeah. I'm finding that to be especially frustrating since I was just offered an NIH post bacc that wants a decision within a week. Probably going to contact a PI or adcom to get a better idea.

3 minutes ago, __Wreckingball__ said:

Yeah. I'm finding that to be especially frustrating since I was just offered an NIH post bacc that wants a decision within a week. Probably going to contact a PI or adcom to get a better idea.

I’m in a surprisingly similar situation with the NIH IRTA postbac. I totally feel ya. Because, of course, I’d rather a PhD.

9 hours ago, __Wreckingball__ said:

Which PhD program at UTMB did you apply to? I have also been waiting for any word from them and was getting nervous since nobody is posting anything on the gradcafe list xD

13 hours ago, __Wreckingball__ said:

I applied to M&I

12 hours ago, DrHorse said:

Ahhhh rip, me too. Well good luck, I hope we both hear something soon!

Make that three of us! It’s amazing that we made it this far. Now we wait ?

M&I doesn’t matriculate many people, so it’s understandable (but annoying) that it takes this long.