MPH 2021 Canada

29 minutes ago, LindaZhou said:

Anyone still wating on Queens MPH? Do they send out waitlist/rejections? My status still shows application submitted

I'm still waiting on queens and Guelph! I've seen some posts here of folks being accepted and rejected from queens, so perhaps they send their offers and rejections on multiple rounds depending on who declines their offers. 

1 hour ago, okiedokieartichoke said:

Regarding the practicums? Because, yes! There's an external practicum list where it's open competition, and an internal practicum list, where the competition is others in your cohort who applied to the same position. I could be wrong, but I believe the PHAC practicums were among the internal listings for practicums (paid). 

Based on your experience, did MPH course grades matter when applying to practicum positions or did they solely look at your work experience?  I am a little clueless about the practicum process, so any insight is appreciated :) 

Edited by coconuthead

3 minutes ago, coconuthead said:

Based on your experience, did MPH course grades matter when applying to practicum positions or did they solely look at your work experience?  I am a little clueless about the practicum process, so any insight is appreciated :) 

I think each 'posting' is different. But for the position I applied to (one of the research hospitals in Toronto), they did not look at your marks. Overall, I think the main focus include your resume, skills, and cover letter. Many of these practicum sites conduct an interview (just like any other job interview to learn about why this position, your interests, etc.) 

I feel if you struggle with eg. Epidemiology, but you are applying to an extremely epidemiology oriented placement, then you might have a difficult time at your practicum. 

6 minutes ago, okiedokieartichoke said:

I think each 'posting' is different. But for the position I applied to (one of the research hospitals in Toronto), they did not look at your marks. Overall, I think the main focus include your resume, skills, and cover letter. Many of these practicum sites conduct an interview (just like any other job interview to learn about why this position, your interests, etc.) 

I feel if you struggle with eg. Epidemiology, but you are applying to an extremely epidemiology oriented placement, then you might have a difficult time at your practicum. 

Thanks for sharing! You also brought up a great point about applying to placements that aligns with your strengths.  

3 hours ago, minniexo_ said:

I have also spoke to Courtney (person who will help and arrange practicum) in the WESTERN MPH program.. who is also very nice. I'm sure if you highlight you want a paid job for sure instead of a non-paid practicum but are willing to be lenient with where and your interest. She can help. 

3 hours ago, okiedokieartichoke said:

For sure, it's your prerogative at the end of the day. I mean, the 1 year program made sense as the ROI paid off exceedingly well in my case (and a few others in my cohort as well). Yes, $36k price tag is steep, but paying that for the year wasn't bad as my job I got post grad was able to pay it off, and I was able to enter the workforce a year early in comparison to other MPHers who started the same year I did. That's fair you have doubts, but the program is CEPH accredited, so it meets the rigor and standards of all other accredited MPH programs in the USA/Canada. 

But again, you are correct, it is ultimately your decision, and you must know what is best in your circumstance. However saying there are doubts about the program, when this is a few of the CEPH accredited programs in Canada is a very lowbrow comment. Just my two cents. 

3 hours ago, my3420 said:

Thats nice!!!! that you got a stupendous job after this prog....and thanks for taking out time from your posh job and coming to this forum for promoting UWO here...To other guys before making decision.... best is to get in touch with people who have open to work titles on their linkedin pics and they r UWO MPH graduates....They will be the best people to answer all your questions...Best of luck to all 

Hi!! I like to keep up with the MPH candidate postings because I want to see what the future cohorts are like - I'm currently a Western MPH student so I can attest to some of the backings that previous alumni have stated - it is a good program BUT like any grad program, make sure it fits your goals and objectives. Don't base your decisions on anonymous comments - reach out to current Western MPH students and alumni to get a good grasp of what the program is like now versus what how student outcomes turned out to be. 

The practicums are fine - everyone in the entirety of Canada applies for the same practicums - Western offers the internal pools which makes it a little easier to make choices. I have friends currently going to PAHO, working in local health units (I'm personally going to the Canadian Red Cross for the summer). Because of the pandemic however (and I'm sure other MPH grad students can agree), the number of practicums offered are lower AND it is harder to find a paid position just because of the job market. That's the reality - however, I do believe every single student has a practicum that they either found or the program helped them find. 

It's a 1 year program. Some other Canadian MPH programs are 16 months - they are JUST as condensed. We cover the same material. It's not supposed to be the be all, end all of education and if you cover something that you're interested in, you do what you're supposed to and go and be curious. 

And finally - get into touch with Linkedin MPH grads! They're the best resource - of course there will be grads with open to work on LinkedIn who graduated in the past year. WE'RE IN A PANDEMIC. Jobs are low everywhere - and it's also the same in public health. However, there are more grads who are offered jobs and can attest to the program.

All in all, everything is anecdotal, but go out and do your research and TALK to the alumni. Not some random people on an anonymous forum.

That being said, if you're interested in learning the pros and cons about the program (as it's current online version and pandemic state) please feel free to message and I'll pass on my linkedin.

Good luck to all future MPH grads! And for those who didn't get in this year - don't lose hope, just redirect. Public health needs you all! 

Just now, bbj said:

im literally still pre-screening im so confused 

same here! but my application for global health has been under review since january... so the streams must be progressing at very different rates 

Just now, brzy said:

same here! but my application for global health has been under review since january... so the streams must be progressing at very different rates 

But what does it even mean to be pre-screening in APRIL ... like I don't understand if I'm just not considered or what. Because some people already got their acceptances and I believe their deadline to accept was tmr! 

Just now, bbj said:

But what does it even mean to be pre-screening in APRIL ... like I don't understand if I'm just not considered or what. Because some people already got their acceptances and I believe their deadline to accept was tmr! 

people got in for MPH epi already?? why are we not atleast at under review ??

Just now, bbj said:

YES!! people on this forum said they got in and their deadline to accept is tmr! 

ahhhhh i didn’t see that! so i guess i should assume that’s a rejection ? lol

Just now, brzy said:

ahhhhh i didn’t see that! so i guess i should assume that’s a rejection ? lol

that's what I've been trying to figure out! If there have been a round of rejections already or they just wait to send out rejections all together? if they have rounds of offers?? I'm so confused and have so many questions and so tired of waiting just want an answer already 

Just now, bbj said:

that's what I've been trying to figure out! If there have been a round of rejections already or they just wait to send out rejections all together? if they have rounds of offers?? I'm so confused and have so many questions and so tired of waiting just want an answer already 

me too i’m tired of waiting. actually i was tired of waiting in feb. i give up lol

41 minutes ago, globalguRl said:

Has anyone been rejected or waitlisted from Guelph. My app still says all documents received but acceptances already went out lol 

Mine still says "all documents received" as well. My friend who applied for the previous cycle told me she got her rejection during the first week of May. Hope we don't have to wait that long for a decision this year. 

Hey, for those waiting to hear from Guelph, deadline to accept the offer is April 21, dates may slightly vary since people got admitted over a couple of days. So if they are doing multiple round of offers, you will most likely hear from them closer to the end of April. Hope this helps! :)

12 hours ago, Drewwerd said:

I just got a rejection email from UBC. But here's the thing: months ago I was accepted. I got an informal email from the program director, then I got an official PDF letter from the school accepting me into the program.

I even had a zoom call with the program director to discuss the program and me coming to UBC. I've sent my transcripts in the mail. Everything was squared away.

Then today I receive this mass-email, not personalized, penned to all the applicants, saying I was rejected. Please tell me others got this? And this is a huge mistake? I'm freaking out. I emailed them back but it's a holiday.

You need call up the director...this must be a mistake.

13 hours ago, brzy said:

me too i’m tired of waiting. actually i was tired of waiting in feb. i give up lol

13 hours ago, bbj said:

If anyone knows pre-screening means rejected please let a sister know ... Thank you 

i'm also still at pre-screening for Global Health ... i've pretty much given up lmao just waiting to receive a rejection at this point ?