MPH 2021 Canada

1 hour ago, medicallyrelevant said:

Did anyone receive any updates from Queens today? I got my first email from Queens today but it turned out to be just a survey...:S 

I also got the same email.

Also I got rejected from UofT but I kind of expected it. Given the number of applicants this year at other programs, UofT must be ridiculous. And how do you compete when many people applying already have PhDs and like a decade or more of experience. 

7 minutes ago, SunnyMPH said:

I also got the same email.

Also I got rejected from UofT but I kind of expected it. Given the number of applicants this year at other programs, UofT must be ridiculous. And how do you compete when many people applying already have PhDs and like a decade or more of experience. 

Sorry to hear! Did you apply to health promotion or epi at UofT? What stats and experiences did you apply with if you don’t mind sharing?

Edited by Natasha7

8 minutes ago, Natasha7 said:

Sorry to hear! Did you apply to health promotion or epi at UofT? What stats and experiences did you apply with if you don’t mind sharing?

I applied to health promotion. High B overall average. Some disease prevention and health promotion related experience. My undergrad was Public Health.

Edited by SunnyMPH

11 minutes ago, Confusedfrog said:

Hey! I was wondering if anyone who has accepted McMaster or wants to could speak a little about the practicum and finding work after?

Hey, a friend of mine recently graduated from the MPH program (December 2020). According to her, students had no trouble finding practicums, as long as you have a good idea of where you want to do your placements. She ended up doing 2 different practicums, I believe they recently introduced the option of replacing 2 electives with a part-time placement, in addition to the full-time placement all students are expected to complete. However, in terms of finding work, apparently only a handful of students from her graduating class were able to find work so far, most likely because of Covid. However, on LinkedIn, many students who completed the MPH program in prior years are working in places like the PHAC, local health units, and McMaster. Hope this was helpful and good luck! :) 

Just now, SparklersG said:

Hey, a friend of mine recently graduated from the MPH program (December 2020). According to her, students had no trouble finding practicums, as long as you have a good idea of where you want to do your placements. She ended up doing 2 different practicums, I believe they recently introduced the option of replacing 2 electives with a part-time placement, in addition to the full-time placement all students are expected to complete. However, in terms of finding work, apparently only a handful of students from her graduating class were able to find work so far, most likely because of Covid. However, on LinkedIn, many students who completed the MPH program in prior years are working in places like the PHAC, local health units, and McMaster. Hope this was helpful and good luck! :)

Thank you!  A little scary that only a handful have found jobs, but glad to hear about the practicum! Do you know if they often stay in Hamilton or are more likely to move to Toronto? 

1 minute ago, Confusedfrog said:

Thank you!  A little scary that only a handful have found jobs, but glad to hear about the practicum! Do you know if they often stay in Hamilton or are more likely to move to Toronto? 

It seems like most do stay in Hamilton or neighbouring areas like Niagara, but that's not to say you can't move to Toronto. If that's something you are considering, in terms of finding work after graduating, I think having professional connections and prior work/volunteer experiences in Toronto (something to consider when looking for practicums as well), will make the job search much easier, this is just something I've noticed from my personal experiences. 

1 hour ago, SparklersG said:

It seems like most do stay in Hamilton or neighbouring areas like Niagara, but that's not to say you can't move to Toronto. If that's something you are considering, in terms of finding work after graduating, I think having professional connections and prior work/volunteer experiences in Toronto (something to consider when looking for practicums as well), will make the job search much easier, this is just something I've noticed from my personal experiences. 

Thank you. Your insight has been really helpful. Sorry for all of the questions. I just don’t know anyone who is in or gone through the program. When looking at practicing are there usually options in Toronto? I would really like to live in Toronto so having the connections there would be super helpful. 

55 minutes ago, Natasha7 said:

Congrats!!!!! What stats and experiences did you apply with?

A 90+ average in the last 2 years. 1 year in a public health research lab, some advocacy experience, some experience working with marginalized populations. I also really emphasized how UofT's program aligns with my career goals in my personal statement!

Thank you! I had a 90+ average in the last 2 years. 1 year in a public health research lab, some advocacy experience, some experience working with marginalized populations. I also really emphasized how UofT's program aligns with my career goals in my personal statement!

8 hours ago, moonjar said:

Around 9:20 MST!

Thanks! Congratulations again thats so exciting.  Do you mind me asking, what were your stats and when is your deadline to accept?

9 hours ago, mxnz1 said:

Thank you! I had a 90+ average in the last 2 years. 1 year in a public health research lab, some advocacy experience, some experience working with marginalized populations. I also really emphasized how UofT's program aligns with my career goals in my personal statement!

That’s amazing!!! What other schools did you apply to?