MPH 2021 Canada

Just now, brzy said:

Pre-screening ?

I'm thinking there's no point in emailing about it... though it is tempting.  If it follows last years pattern it'll be nothing for a couple more weeks and then a mass rejection email goes out.  Fingers crossed they are opening up more spots to bring in more $ this year after all the cuts.

1 hour ago, Natasha7 said:

That’s amazing!!! What other schools did you apply to? 

I applied to Western, UofT, Queen's, and Mac. Accepted to Western and UofT so far, waiting on Queen's, and rejected from Mac.

20 minutes ago, AlChuck said:

I'm thinking there's no point in emailing about it... though it is tempting.  If it follows last years pattern it'll be nothing for a couple more weeks and then a mass rejection email goes out.  Fingers crossed they are opening up more spots to bring in more $ this year after all the cuts.

you think all the acceptances have gone out already? for all streams or just Epi?

5 minutes ago, brzy said:

you think all the acceptances have gone out already? for all streams or just Epi?

I expect for everything (historically it looks like epi is one of the last ones they do, but a few people have already been accepted).  I'm working with very little information (just what's on the forum for this year and past years), but it doesn't look like many people get in after the first round of acceptances.  I hope I'm wrong.

11 minutes ago, brzy said:

What I don't get is if we're at "pre-screening" how can they accept anyone without reviewing all the applications?  Are ours so bad that they won't even review them?

4 minutes ago, AlChuck said:

I expect for everything (historically it looks like epi is one of the last ones they do, but a few people have already been accepted).  I'm working with very little information (just what's on the forum for this year and past years), but it doesn't look like many people get in after the first round of acceptances.  I hope I'm wrong.

Ya thats true, hard to hear tho ://

Just now, AlChuck said:

What I don't get is if we're at "pre-screening" how can they accept anyone without reviewing all the applications?  Are ours so bad that they won't even review them?

LOL they looked at mine and threw it straight out. Ill be in pre-screening until the end of time

3 hours ago, mph128 said:

Thanks! Congratulations again thats so exciting.  Do you mind me asking, what were your stats and when is your deadline to accept?

Thank you! My deadline to accept is April 22. My stats were not super competitive imo -- 3.9 GPA, public health related research experience throughout undergrad, involved with a social justice related NGO and two social justice related clubs on campus. I do have a concentration in political science, thinking that strengthened my social science background!

13 hours ago, Confusedfrog said:

Thank you. Your insight has been really helpful. Sorry for all of the questions. I just don’t know anyone who is in or gone through the program. When looking at practicing are there usually options in Toronto? I would really like to live in Toronto so having the connections there would be super helpful. 

Not a problem at all! There’s a lot of options in Toronto but again because of UofT’s MPH programs, preference is most likely towards students in those programs. But of course that doesn’t mean you can’t apply, based on your experiences and cover letter you may have a good shot at securing a practicum in Toronto :)  

1 minute ago, minniexo_ said:

mine says admit

mine is still application IM GOING TO SCREAM 

The program I was accepted to (which sounds super interesting and is an amazing opportunity) wants me to start an RA at the beginning of may to get ahead in my thesis before the program even starts. SO I NEED TO KNOW AND I NEED TO KNOW SOON 

2 minutes ago, GingerDwight said:

mine is still application IM GOING TO SCREAM 

The program I was accepted to (which sounds super interesting and is an amazing opportunity) wants me to start an RA at the beginning of may to get ahead in my thesis before the program even starts. SO I NEED TO KNOW AND I NEED TO KNOW SOON 

Which programs/schools did you apply to? Is Waterloo your top choice?

Edited by Excel725

Just now, Excel725 said:

Which programs/schools did you apply to? 

MPH at Vic and Wloo (still nothing from both)

MA in medical anthropology at Mac, research project in public health interventions for new mothers with PPD - full funding + RAship starting like SOON -- current top choice because I applied on a whim, after the deadline, requested the head of the program as a supervisor after talking with her for like 10 minutes and she told me not to get my hopes up because I didnt apply for OGS/CGS-M. Against all odds she chose me as her only masters student and the whole program has like 10 spots so im stunned to have gotten in. 

MA in human geography (Community + public health specialization) at Mac, research with a prof I've worked with for the last few years, research surrounding workplace policy implementations to help workers who are also caretakers in their private lives (very policy side of public health) - full funding +  guaranteed TAships -- this program was going to be my top choice but my supervisor is really hard to work with. 

I genuinely don't know what I'll do if I get into an MPH. doing an MPH has been my DREAM for years. but this anthro program came out of nowhere and its such a great opportunity. A small part of me wants to not get into an MPH so that I dont have to make this choice. but at the same time I want to get in! its all I've ever wanted. 

I think my plan is to do the anthro THEN do an MPH after, it'll give me a better chance at getting in and the MA is only a one year program so ? idk man im STRUGGLING

6 minutes ago, GingerDwight said:

MPH at Vic and Wloo (still nothing from both)

MA in medical anthropology at Mac, research project in public health interventions for new mothers with PPD - full funding + RAship starting like SOON -- current top choice because I applied on a whim, after the deadline, requested the head of the program as a supervisor after talking with her for like 10 minutes and she told me not to get my hopes up because I didnt apply for OGS/CGS-M. Against all odds she chose me as her only masters student and the whole program has like 10 spots so im stunned to have gotten in. 

MA in human geography (Community + public health specialization) at Mac, research with a prof I've worked with for the last few years, research surrounding workplace policy implementations to help workers who are also caretakers in their private lives (very policy side of public health) - full funding +  guaranteed TAships -- this program was going to be my top choice but my supervisor is really hard to work with. 

I genuinely don't know what I'll do if I get into an MPH. doing an MPH has been my DREAM for years. but this anthro program came out of nowhere and its such a great opportunity. A small part of me wants to not get into an MPH so that I dont have to make this choice. but at the same time I want to get in! its all I've ever wanted. 

I think my plan is to do the anthro THEN do an MPH after, it'll give me a better chance at getting in and the MA is only a one year program so ? idk man im STRUGGLING

Dw man, it'll all work out! The MA for one year followed by an MPH also sounds like a good plan! Just curious, you didn't want to apply to other schools (ie. UofT) for an MPH? 

Hopping on the bandwagon as well to say that my quest portal for Waterloo was updated today with an offer! No official offer letter or email or deadline for decision, but I will most likely be declining.