GEM Fellowship 2021

disavowed_

2 hours ago, AnalogAF said:

Hi everyone,

Second time GEM applicant. I'm wondering, if matched, how long is the process before "acceptance" if selected? I'm assuming mentioning things in a stament of purpose like, "working at x during the summer before beginning a graduate degree" would be a no-no without a guarantee or acceptance from the sponsor.

Wishing everyone continued success and all the best

If the employer is interested in you, your   status will go from “matched” to “held.”Then the employer will reach out via phone or email for an interview. You know you’ve been selected for sponsorship when you get a message stating “Congratulations employer ‘X’ has responded to your application.” You then sign a contract and your status will change to “Accepted.” 

Personally I was matched for about 2 weeks before the company reached out. Because I had done an internship with them in the past, I didn’t have to interview and immediately received an offer. 

11 hours ago, DarthSalsero said:

So if I’ve been matched to a University Sponsor, and have been accepted into the university, but haven’t received a financial aid letter yet, is it safe to assume that I’ll probably get one of the lower tier GEM fellowships?

If I were you, I would contact the GEM representative at that university and figure out if you will get sponsored with the GEM fellowship. If you do, I think it would be great if you reached out employers now with a university acceptance. I think your chances of getting an internship then would go up!

On 12/3/2020 at 7:07 AM, zevastianp said:

If I were you, I would contact the GEM representative at that university and figure out if you will get sponsored with the GEM fellowship. If you do, I think it would be great if you reached out employers now with a university acceptance. I think your chances of getting an internship then would go up!

Thx zevastianp.

Has anyone had trouble viewing their application recently? The "eye" icon on mine is no longer there so I can't view details anymore. Its probably good for anyway though since I was checking about five times a day. 

11 hours ago, DarthSalsero said:

Thx zevastianp.

Has anyone had trouble viewing their application recently? The "eye" icon on mine is no longer there so I can't view details anymore. Its probably good for anyway though since I was checking about five times a day. 

Yes! two days ago they disabled the eye icon so we cannot see what company we are matched to. I think they realized as we were not supposed to see whom we match until they reach to us. And, same! now I just check like once a day to see if my status changes from matched to held. 

Hello all -- new to this site and haven't been tracking GEM well.. 

Though I wanted to ask: if I have not gone from unmatched to matched at any point during this cycle, should I expect a soft reject? Or, does GEM operate similarly to other application programs wherein "matches" are allocated in waves OR in order of application submission date (I was complete Nov 10, I believe)?

Thanks ahead of time (presuming some1 here has such insight into this fellowship)! 

Edit: my GEM portal also presents red text above my recommendations box that reads "No application cycle." Is this cause for worry? 

Edited by justcheckingsomething

3 hours ago, justcheckingsomething said:

Hello all -- new to this site and haven't been tracking GEM well.. 

Though I wanted to ask: if I have not gone from unmatched to matched at any point during this cycle, should I expect a soft reject? Or, does GEM operate similarly to other application programs wherein "matches" are allocated in waves OR in order of application submission date (I was complete Nov 10, I believe)?

Thanks ahead of time (presuming some1 here has such insight into this fellowship)! 

Edit: my GEM portal also presents red text above my recommendations box that reads "No application cycle." Is this cause for worry? 

I also have the "No application cycle" message and I'm pretty sure that I'm in the system successfully so I don't think it is anything to worry about. They have been making changes to the website recently. I've gone from Held -> Matched, which isn't supposed to happen. They sent out an email to say that we should essentially disregard everything related to employers on the application page. 

Has anyone ever gone from Held -> Matched, instantly? I'm so confused and its hard to not it constantly. I wish they did not remove out ability to check what employer has our application cause I'm wondering if it has changed now. 

12 minutes ago, horizons said:

I also have the "No application cycle" message and I'm pretty sure that I'm in the system successfully so I don't think it is anything to worry about. They have been making changes to the website recently. I've gone from Held -> Matched, which isn't supposed to happen. They sent out an email to say that we should essentially disregard everything related to employers on the application page. 

I called about an hour ago - was informed that this message is insignificant and should not impact selection. 

Have you ever been dropped down to "unmatched" from "held," "matched," or "released?" I kind of forgot I applied for GEM and am wondering if perhaps I simply missed seeing my app go from unmatched to matched at some point lol

Just now, justcheckingsomething said:

I called about an hour ago - was informed that this message is insignificant and should not impact selection. 

Have you ever been dropped down to "unmatched" from "held," "matched," or "released?" I kind of forgot I applied for GEM and am wondering if perhaps I simply missed seeing my app go from unmatched to matched at some point lol

I went from "matched" to "unmatched" for about 24-30 hours? Then I went back to "matched" and have been on "held" for a while until today were I am seeing "matched". It really shows that the website means nothing but I can't help but check ?

1 hour ago, horizons said:

Was that a recent email? My app also says no application cycle and I have seen no change in my status. 

1 hour ago, justcheckingsomething said:

I also went from "matched" to "unmatched" today. I was matched for a week or so. Also, I haven't received any email about disregarding the employer status. However, i think the status of our possible employer doesn't provide any real information to us. I've read past forums, where people went from held for a month to unmatched, while someone went from unmatched to get an offer right away. I believe we just have to sit tight and wait until we get reached out by companies, or reach out to them if you want a specific employer to look at your application. I think it is worth keep updating each other when we start getting offers or new information. Good luck!

44 minutes ago, DC_ said:

Was that a recent email? My app also says no application cycle and I have seen no change in my status. 

No, I'm referring to the applicant FAQ they sent out closer to the last week of November. 

It seems like not everyone got this email so I am going to attempt to paste it here. I can also forward it to anyone who feels comfortable sharing their email. Apologies if this breaks any rules, I'm still relatively new here.   

----

Applicants FAQ

I applied already, but my eGEM status/homepage still says "Pending Verification" next to each school and my University count still says 0 of 3. How do I change this status?

As an applicant, you cannot change the "Pending Verification". The GEM Representative at each of the Universities has to log into the application system (eGEM) and click on a link called ‘Verify Fellowship Applicants’, and click a button to verify that you indeed applied. The average GEM University Rep completes this action by February 1st. Please refrain from contacting the GEM Rep until at least a week after the posted deadline of January 15, 2020.

It is not necessary to contact the GEM University to complete this action, if you have not received an offer by a GEM employer and accepted that offer. This status update does not affect your eligibility to be selected.

If an university reports in error that you did not apply. Just email your proof to fellowships@gemfellowship.org.

Is there any way I can tell GEM that I already applied to at least three (3) GEM Member Universities?

Yes, you can log into eGEM and self-report; click on ‘Click here to update your record on schools to which you have applied and/or been accepted’ at the bottom of the Graduate School section on your home/status page. Please only click ‘Applied’ AFTER you have actually applied. This will not change your status screen but it will help the GEM Office work with the GEM University Rep to update your application status.

When should I expect to hear from a GEM Employer?

GEM Employers are actively reaching out to Completed 2020 GEM applicants right now. Please make sure your voicemail is updated with a professional outgoing message. Please respond within 24 hours to any requests for an interview or other GEM Employer inquiries. You will see your homepage Employer status change from unmatched, to matched, to released as your application is previewed by several Employers. Do not be concerned with the Employer status. 

1 minute ago, horizons said:

It seems like not everyone got this email so I am going to attempt to paste it here. I can also forward it to anyone who feels comfortable sharing their email. Apologies if this breaks any rules, I'm still relatively new here.   

----

Applicants FAQ

I applied already, but my eGEM status/homepage still says "Pending Verification" next to each school and my University count still says 0 of 3. How do I change this status?

As an applicant, you cannot change the "Pending Verification". The GEM Representative at each of the Universities has to log into the application system (eGEM) and click on a link called ‘Verify Fellowship Applicants’, and click a button to verify that you indeed applied. The average GEM University Rep completes this action by February 1st. Please refrain from contacting the GEM Rep until at least a week after the posted deadline of January 15, 2020.

It is not necessary to contact the GEM University to complete this action, if you have not received an offer by a GEM employer and accepted that offer. This status update does not affect your eligibility to be selected.

If an university reports in error that you did not apply. Just email your proof to fellowships@gemfellowship.org.

Is there any way I can tell GEM that I already applied to at least three (3) GEM Member Universities?

Yes, you can log into eGEM and self-report; click on ‘Click here to update your record on schools to which you have applied and/or been accepted’ at the bottom of the Graduate School section on your home/status page. Please only click ‘Applied’ AFTER you have actually applied. This will not change your status screen but it will help the GEM Office work with the GEM University Rep to update your application status.

When should I expect to hear from a GEM Employer?

GEM Employers are actively reaching out to Completed 2020 GEM applicants right now. Please make sure your voicemail is updated with a professional outgoing message. Please respond within 24 hours to any requests for an interview or other GEM Employer inquiries. You will see your homepage Employer status change from unmatched, to matched, to released as your application is previewed by several Employers. Do not be concerned with the Employer status. 

Oh! yes i got this email. Thank you so much for posting it anyways.

The "eye" icon is back as of right now. 

I just checked and my application is now matched with a different national laboratory (still in my top 3). I'm curious if this is happening with other types of employers as well, or just with your top 3 in general, or just with the laboratories (to find a location that has the best projects for you)? 

10 hours ago, DC_ said:

I just noticed the eye icon is back as well. I am matched with another one of my employer top three.

I also noticed this yesterday where the eye icon returned with a different employer matched-checked again today and saw the eye icon missing. Guess it might be an on/off kind of thing.

Is there any benefit to applying to GEM schools earlier/ pre-Christmas for Masters? I'm wondering if I should be rushing applications now as a Masters student? Also should we mention that we are applying for GEM on our application or connect with the GEM University Rep before hand?  

I never catch the "eye" icon before it goes away haha

Could y'all confirm whether your "Employer Member Status" under "Other Information" is a parameter that is also changing from "Unmatched."

I ask because I have logged on at least 5 times on different days now and have never seen that status change. Perhaps I'm that bad. (BME, summa, no GRE if that helps at all?)

GL all nonetheless 

2 hours ago, justcheckingsomething said:

I never catch the "eye" icon before it goes away haha

Could y'all confirm whether your "Employer Member Status" under "Other Information" is a parameter that is also changing from "Unmatched."

I ask because I have logged on at least 5 times on different days now and have never seen that status change. Perhaps I'm that bad. (BME, summa, no GRE if that helps at all?)

GL all nonetheless 

My status as of now is "Matched". But previously, I went from "matched" for a week to "unmatched" for two days, and then back to "matched" again. So, it is changing quite often.

Don't worry about it, all employers have access to your application and they are reviewing them. The fact that they are reviewing them does not change your status. I think GEM only suggests applicants to companies when they see keywords in your application that match what an employer may look for. However, you may get reached out by companies that you didn't list in your top 3, and even companies that do not currently appear in the GEM website as sponsors, as that list is not really updated.

Just carefully check your emails and do not trash things without reading them. Good luck, fellow BME. 

So, I was matched and received an offer that I accepted at the beginning of the week after many interviews. As I complete my graduate school applications I realized they asked whether I had an award letter from GEM.  I called GEM and they told me they cannot give me one until a school accepts me.  Seemed a little bit of a circular process here?  Anybody has any advice? Perhaps I missed how the process works? Good luck everyone!

1 hour ago, Boriquito said:

So, I was matched and received an offer that I accepted at the beginning of the week after many interviews. As I complete my graduate school applications I realized they asked whether I had an award letter from GEM.  I called GEM and they told me they cannot give me one until a school accepts me.  Seemed a little bit of a circular process here?  Anybody has any advice? Perhaps I missed how the process works? Good luck everyone!

Congrats!

Maybe in the supplemental information of the application, write that you received an offer from an employer for GEM and state which one. You could also call the GEM rep at the school you are applying to and let them know. 

Would it be possible to share which employer?