GEM Fellowship 2021

disavowed_

On 12/21/2020 at 9:58 PM, horizons said:

So... has anyone ever been released, but also got a notification on the website saying "Congratulations <company>  have responded to your application". 

I'm wondering if they just made a mistake with viewing my application and released it instantly lol... 

;~;

That just happened to me which is a bummer. It seems like two opposite responses

On 2/2/2021 at 5:49 PM, Dan114 said:

Hello! Can anyone help me identify were the employer status is located? The portal is a bit buggy I used to be able to see my application and now it just shows as completed

The employer status should be under the recommendations box, in a box named "Other Information". Otherwise, GEM has removed he feature that allowed us to see the name of employer. 

On 2/2/2021 at 9:23 PM, toot_ said:

That just happened to me which is a bummer. It seems like two opposite responses

Yep, according to GEM this notification does not really mean anything and is just an error. They mentioned that they would remove the feature because it causes confusion. 

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know when Universities start deciding for GEM Associate and GEM University fellowships? I think in the seminar last month they said Companies would reach out first then GEM would recommend us for a Associate of University Fellowship but not sure when? 

On 2/13/2021 at 11:41 AM, grad_738 said:

Does anyone know when Universities start deciding for GEM Associate and GEM University fellowships? I think in the seminar last month they said Companies would reach out first then GEM would recommend us for a Associate of University Fellowship but not sure when? 

I recall them saying that if your account does not show any employer activity by March, they would let you know that you have not gotten a GEM fellowship so I imagine that also around that time, they would also be dealing with the associate fellowships. One person from Northeastern implied that schools may wait to see if you get an employer first before they make any offers for GEM. 

1 hour ago, forrestglobe said:

Not gonna lie, I'm feeling very sad and hopeless about not hearing back from any companies yet. 

You're not alone. Let's just hope that because of COVID everything was pushed to the end, so we get offers soon!
I also sent my application the day before it was due. Yet, I still remain in a "matched" status, though idk how much that matters at this point. 

Can someone help me understand the process of being accepted to a university as a GEM fellow? I remember from the info session they mention that a University has to accept applicants in order to be considered for any level of scholarship? So does this mean, a university has a committee within in their own graduate programs that choose applicants. And ideally, how does a University identify you have been chosen by the school as a fellow?

23 hours ago, ML Twin said:

Can someone help me understand the process of being accepted to a university as a GEM fellow? I remember from the info session they mention that a University has to accept applicants in order to be considered for any level of scholarship? So does this mean, a university has a committee within in their own graduate programs that choose applicants. And ideally, how does a University identify you have been chosen by the school as a fellow?

So first step is getting accepted into a graduate program. From there a fellowship committee within the university will look through the accepted applicants, and see which ones applied for the GEM fellowship. Then (I assume) they decide on the number of GEM applicants they're willing to sponsor. 

I think selection would primarily be based off a student's GEM application (essay and recommendations).

Edited by DataSci

On 12/11/2020 at 5:56 PM, Boriquito said:

So, I was matched and received an offer that I accepted at the beginning of the week after many interviews. As I complete my graduate school applications I realized they asked whether I had an award letter from GEM.  I called GEM and they told me they cannot give me one until a school accepts me.  Seemed a little bit of a circular process here?  Anybody has any advice? Perhaps I missed how the process works? Good luck everyone!

I hope you found your answer by now. I spoke with a GEM rep today because I also received a fellowship offer finally. Still waiting to hear back from schools, but the GEM rep told me that when you see the contract on your portal, download it and print it out for your records. Then you can email that contract to GEM reps at the universities you applied to. 

Do you all think it's an irrational fear to feel, "What if no school decides to take me as a GEM fellow even though they admitted me?" 

So far I've been accepted to 4 schools who have yet to mention GEM. I've started reaching out to each one to find out their process. One of them said that they make those decisions in mid-March which feels so late.

Does having a company sponsor increase your chances? I feel like if you admit a prospective GEM student, would you really just not give them the fellowship if they even got a company? I'm just so anxious ?

23 hours ago, horizons said:

Do you all think it's an irrational fear to feel, "What if no school decides to take me as a GEM fellow even though they admitted me?" 

So far I've been accepted to 4 schools who have yet to mention GEM. I've started reaching out to each one to find out their process. One of them said that they make those decisions in mid-March which feels so late.

Does having a company sponsor increase your chances? I feel like if you admit a prospective GEM student, would you really just not give them the fellowship if they even got a company? I'm just so anxious ?

So, before applying to GEM, I was already enrolled in a PhD program. After the webinar, I reached out to the GEM representative at my university to see what would be the next steps to get sponsored for a full or associate fellowship. I was told that they would be willing to sponsor me as a GEM fellow for either option. Yet getting an offer by a company definitely increases your chances for the university to sponsor you. However, I was told that if I get selected for an Associate Fellowship (AF), the university would only pay for my tuition but I wouldn't get any living stipend from them or GEM. Also, If i get selected for the AF, I would need my advisor to provide them with a letter sating that my living stipend would be covered either through: a grant from our lab or TAing. I wasn't aware that for the AF they wouldn't provide any living stipend, and that is kind of useless for me since I am done with all my graduate classes.

So, I would recommend you start reaching to all the GEM representatives at the universities you were accepted to and ask them: (1) If they would be willing to sponsor you, (2) what kind of aid they can provide with either full or AF, and (3) If you can stack other fellowships on top of GEM. 

Hey everyone. So i reached out to the GEM representative at my university about when they will make decisions and she said it depends on the actual program you applied to to make decisions. I thought decisions were made at a University level not a program level. I am not sure my program has no any idea of what a GEM fellowship is. She recommended me to reach out to the specific program's coordinators at the school but I don't even know what to write to them if they have never heard of the GEM fellowship. Have any of you guys dealt with this?

15 hours ago, grad_738 said:

Hey everyone. So i reached out to the GEM representative at my university about when they will make decisions and she said it depends on the actual program you applied to to make decisions. I thought decisions were made at a University level not a program level. I am not sure my program has no any idea of what a GEM fellowship is. She recommended me to reach out to the specific program's coordinators at the school but I don't even know what to write to them if they have never heard of the GEM fellowship. Have any of you guys dealt with this?

I had a POI ask me to send more information. Most departments want to know 1) if you are coming in with funding 2) What that funding will cover 3) How many semesters/years you will receive this funding. Here is what I emailed:

"The National GEM Consortium Fellowship was designed to connect highly qualified graduate applicants to 150 Universities and industry leaders, in areas such as research and development and product development in Science, Technology Engineering or Math. Applicants are required to be under-represented groups in science and engineering as defined by the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, in addition to submit ting GRE scores,  minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0/4.0 and must contractually agree to intern with a GEM Employer member the Summer immediately after sponsorship.

The GEM fellowship program provides fellows with full tuition, fees, and an annual stipend provided by a sponsoring GEM University and sponsoring GEM Employer. The Ph.D.  science fellows (what I applied for and was offered) receive support up to the fifth year of their PhD program. After the first year of support through GEM, fellows are required to accept research or teaching assistantship, or other financial support through the GEM member university."

I am curious if anyone applied to UCLA as GEM university? I contacted the GEM rep and I feel like I am getting an odd response. I asked how will UCLA notify applicants if they university will take them as a GEM scholar. But I was told that UCLA does not choose them, GEM does. But then she tells me to wait for the financial award letter. Does anyone have more concrete details about UCLA?

On 3/3/2021 at 9:50 AM, horizons said:

Has anyone been in contact with Georgia Tech Research Institute? 

I was matched to them a few weeks ago but was never contacted by them and then I was released. As to your previous comment, it seems like not many people have received offers from universities. I've been matched to ASU since November but have not heard from them. I'm guessing they (like all other universities) will finalize their decisions once employer sponsors have made their picks to make sure that they prioritize the students with employers. 

2 hours ago, DarthSalsero said:

I was matched to them a few weeks ago but was never contacted by them and then I was released. As to your previous comment, it seems like not many people have received offers from universities. I've been matched to ASU since November but have not heard from them. I'm guessing they (like all other universities) will finalize their decisions once employer sponsors have made their picks to make sure that they prioritize the students with employers. 

I had a weird interaction with them where they said that they emailed me but I never got it. I'm not sure if this could have happened to other people as well. I interviewed with them almost two weeks ago and have not heard back yet. I guess the night is still young but I think I'm going to email them tonight for follow-up. 

I actually just received a University sponsorship from NYU earlier this week and also today I was scrolling through the schools on the GEM website and saw that the status for Northeastern changed to "willing to accept as GEM fellow" but I'm not sure when that change occurred (no email from them). Looks like decisions are coming out slowly. I did not apply to any of the schools that people have mentioned so far but I'm sure you all will start to hear back very soon! 

5 hours ago, DarthSalsero said:

How do you know if you've been "matched" to a school? I've never known who I've been "matched" to, I only got notification of who I was "held" by and then released. Currently set to matched now but don't know much more than that

3 hours ago, JJT said:

How do you know if you've been "matched" to a school? I've never known who I've been "matched" to, I only got notification of who I was "held" by and then released. Currently set to matched now but don't know much more than that

Well you used to be able to check by clicking on the eye icon, which has been disabled for a while now. Fortunately, I had saved the application status URL as a bookmark beforehand, so I am still able to access it through this bookmark. But I'm not sure how you could check without a direct link ?

Edited by DarthSalsero

I figured out how to access the hidden Employer/University status page.

First, you need to know the number associated with your webpages. So once you log-in, go to some page other than the homepage to find this. I clicked on the link under the Grad Schools list that says "Click here to update your record on schools..." and got my numbers from the end of that URL page.

Once you have your web ID numbers (mine is 5 digits), just fill them in at the end of this URL:

https://egem2.gemfellowship.org/#/fellowship/myfellowshipoverview/XXXXX

That should take you to the hidden page. I think you have to already be logged into GEM on a different tab for this to work.

Hope this helps!

Edit: The bold X's at the end are where your numbers go, they aren't included in the URL

Edited by TBP715

10 minutes ago, TBP715 said:

First, you need to know the number associated with your webpages. So once you log-in, go to some page other than the homepage to find this. I clicked on the link under the Grad Schools list that says "Click here to update your record on schools..." and got my numbers from the end of that URL page.

Once you have your web ID numbers (mine is 5 digits), just fill them in at the end of this URL:

That should take you to the hidden page. I think you have to already be logged into GEM on a different tab for this to work.

Hope this helps!

Edit: The bold X's at the end are where your numbers go, they aren't included in the URL

Woah! This is incredible. Thank you for that. Hope you get the sponsorship you are looking for, ha!

3 hours ago, TBP715 said:

Hope this helps!

Dang, this is super helpful. Thanks! Do you think it would be worth it to reach out to GEM Employers if I haven't heard back  from any of them? At this point I've been matched for a while, so I doubt I'll get an offer, but I'm still trying to be hopeful.

On 3/6/2021 at 1:34 PM, TBP715 said:

Hope this helps!

dude, you rock. thanks!