GEM Fellowship 2021

disavowed_

On 4/19/2021 at 10:27 PM, ML Twin said:

Im on the same boat, I did not receive a message or email about submitting my transcript. It seems more towards Full Fellow possibly because employers want verification? But does this mean we should submit either way?

Yes sorry for the late reply I was specifically emailed to send my transcripts in because I am a Full Fellow. It is for the Employers to verify I believe.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, dara_jay said:

Has anyone been able to get their transcript submission confirmed?

I sent all of mine in late march and still have not. From my understanding, GEM does not update the portals promptly but as long as you have confirmation that the transcripts were sent and received, you should not have to worry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

To all the future/current gem applicants I just received an email saying I am now a GEM full fellow. I have not received an email from a company I can only tell who's currently looking into my application -- so technically I'm still "matched" not "selected." The administrative side of GEM has access to a different window.Ā 

The application deadline wasĀ November it is now July.Ā 

GPA: 2.98

GRE: QR+VR: 283 Writing: 2/6

Submitted my app to GEM on the day it was due.Ā 

Best of luck!

Ā 

Edited by PHY.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone gotten communication from GEM at all? My transcriptĀ still showsĀ as not received additionally I havenā€™t heard anything about submitting intern summary reports and apparently we need to do that for our internships at the end of it. this is from the website:

Ā 

ā€You are required to prepare a summary report explaining your internship experience, and provide a copy of that report to your supervisor and to the GEM Office no later than 2 weeks after the completion of your internship.ā€

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2021 at 9:43 AM, grad_738 said:

Has anyone gotten communication from GEM at all? My transcriptĀ still showsĀ as not received additionally I havenā€™t heard anything about submitting intern summary reports and apparently we need to do that for our internships at the end of it. this is from the website:

Ā 

ā€You are required to prepare a summary report explaining your internship experience, and provide a copy of that report to your supervisor and to the GEM Office no later than 2 weeks after the completion of your internship.ā€

My transcript still says it hasn't been received, too, but I sent it electronically & got an emailĀ when it was opened by GEM. I think I've seen in the past threads that that doesn't necessarily get updated in the portal.Ā 

Do you know your company's GEM rep? My company's rep sent us midterm and final survey links to fill out, so maybe that's what they're doing now instead of a summary report?Ā 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Can someone please explain to me what the GEM fellowship actually is? I am a second year PhD student at Brown University and I am thinking of applying but I can't even tell if I am eligible because of the wording. Brown is listed as one of the member universities. But currently my tuition/stipend is coming from my PI. Am I eligible even though I am now a second year? Would Brown start paying my tuition/stipend instead of my PI or would GEM pay? Where would I do the summer internship, at Brown?

Also, is anyone having a hard time getting past the contract initials page of the application?

such confusion :/

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/1/2021 at 5:50 PM, drosophila_anon said:

Can someone please explain to me what the GEM fellowship actually is? I am a second year PhD student at Brown University and I am thinking of applying but I can't even tell if I am eligible because of the wording. Brown is listed as one of the member universities. But currently my tuition/stipend is coming from my PI. Am I eligible even though I am now a second year? Would Brown start paying my tuition/stipend instead of my PI or would GEM pay? Where would I do the summer internship, at Brown?

Also, is anyone having a hard time getting past the contract initials page of the application?

such confusion :/

It was confusing to me too and I just now figured it out, 2 months into school.

GEM fellowship is basically an agreement with GEM and your school saying "If you accept this student, your schoolĀ agree to cover their tuition and fees for up to 2 years (MS) or up to 5 years (PhD). GEM will send a portion of stipend money only for the 1st year (Freshman), the school is expected to make up for the difference". If you are selected as a fellow with an employer, you will work goĀ over the summer as a paid Intern with whatever company chose to sponsor you, such as Intel, Los Alamos Lab etc. This isĀ mandatory, no exceptions.Ā Not sure if many companies will still allow remote work for Summer 2022 with the vaccine, so you may be expected to relocate for the summer.Ā 

Since it's based on initial acceptance of a student, I am not 100% sure if you would qualify as a second year but it doesn't hurt to email GEM. If accepted as a fellow with an employer, yourĀ department at BrownĀ would cover your tuition and fees, GEM sends $16,000 towards your stipend and Brown is expected to cover the difference so that you make the average GRA/GTA pay.Ā 

• 2 months later...
On 12/8/2020 at 7:50 AM, horizons said:

It seems like not everyone got this email so I am going to attempt to paste it here. I can also forward it to anyone who feels comfortable sharing their email. Apologies if this breaks any rules, I'm still relatively new here.Ā  Ā 

----

ApplicantsĀ FAQ
Ā 
I applied already, but my eGEM status/homepage still says "Pending Verification" next to each school and my University count still says 0 of 3.Ā How do I change this status?
Ā 
As anĀ applicant, you cannot change the "Pending Verification".Ā The GEM Representative at each of the Universities has to log into theĀ applicationĀ system (eGEM) and click on a link called ā€˜Verify FellowshipĀ Applicantsā€™, and click a button to verify that you indeed applied. TheĀ averageĀ GEM University Rep completes this action by February 1st.Ā Please refrain from contacting the GEM Rep until at least a week after the posted deadline of January 15, 2020.
Ā 
It is not necessary to contact the GEM University to complete this action, if you haveĀ notĀ received an offer by a GEM employer and accepted that offer.Ā This status update does not affect your eligibility to be selected.
Ā 
If an university reports in error that you did not apply. Just email your proof toĀ fellowships@gemfellowship.org.
Ā 
Ā 
ļ»æIs there any way I can tell GEM that I already applied to at least three (3) GEM Member Universities?
Ā 
Yes, you can log into eGEM and self-report; click on ā€˜Click here to update your record on schools to which you have applied and/or been acceptedā€™Ā at the bottom of the Graduate School section on your home/status page. Please only click ā€˜Appliedā€™ AFTER you have actually applied. This will not change your status screen but it will help the GEM OfficeĀ work with the GEM University Rep to update yourĀ applicationĀ status.
Ā 
Ā 
When should I expect to hear from a GEM Employer?
Ā 
GEM Employers are actively reaching out to Completed 2020 GEMĀ applicantsĀ right now.Ā Please make sure your voicemail is updated with a professional outgoing message.Ā Please respond within 24 hours to any requests for an interview or other GEM Employer inquiries. You will see your homepage Employer status change from unmatched, to matched, to released as yourĀ applicationĀ is previewed by several Employers.Ā Do not be concerned with the Employer status.Ā 

Not sure if you are still monitoring this, but if so could you kindly post the link you got these answers from???

4 hours ago, Purduefellow said:

Not sure if you are still monitoring this, but if so could you kindly post the link you got these answers from???

I specifically got this information from an email titled "Applicant FAQ" in November 2020.