GEM Fellowship 2021

disavowed_

Evening fellas,

Figured I'd start the 2021 GEM Fellowship thread. A Beta Test for the application has been released:

// BREAK //

7899e2d9-f492-4f04-af98-96117eeda1c8.png

Hello Prospective GEM Applicant:

You are receiving this email because you completed a GEM Fellowship Prospect Card online, at a GEM programming event, at an exhibit booth, or started an application in the 2020 cycle that was not completed or you were not selected as a GEM Fellow.

The 2021 Fellowship Cycle is now open in BETA TEST MODE through June 30, 2020 in an effort to test real time user fellowship applications in our new eGEM 2.0 system. During the BETA TEST period, we will be monitoring any errors or problems encountered by applicants that are shared with GEM during the process. Be aware that in the event the BETA TESTING period is not deemed successful, you may be asked to RESTART AND SUBMIT your application in a different system. Although we do not anticipate a failed beta test period, if this occurs, GEM will contact all applicants with next step instructions. We appreciate your support and wish you luck in the application process.

If you have an active 2020 Cycle application, PLEASE WAIT UNTIL AFTER July 1, 2020 to start an application for the 2021 cycle, if you have not already done so.

The program is open to US citizens or permanent residents who are available for a GEM industry internship Summer 2021 and wish to pursue (or are currently pursuing) a graduate degree in engineering, computer science, or other applied science field, who currently:
  • are an undergraduate junior or senior (i.e., you will graduate within 1 year of May/June 2020), or
  • hold a bachelor's degree in a STEM field, or
  • are a matriculating graduate student pursuing an MS or PhD in an engineering, computer science or applied science field who have at least one academic year (2 semesters/3 quarters) remaining for this funding cycle, specifically Fall 2021, Winter 2021 (quarter schools only), and Spring 2022.  

You are encouraged to complete Part I (through STEP 10) of the application by our Early Consideration deadline of October 1st, which places your application in the "first look" pool with our GEM Employers. When preparing your online application, please note the following required information to have prepared.
  1. Current Resume (.docx or .doc formats only)
  2. Unofficial Transcript for each institution you have attended after high school (1,000 KB or smaller in size)
  3. Statement of Purpose (detailing why you would like to attend graduate school and your graduate education goals and research interests)
  4. Name, email address, and phone for three recommenders (two required, three STRONGLY recommended; to submit a competitive application you must submit three recommendations)
  • Recommenders should be a past or current collegiate level faculty member (two recommenders) or internship/co-op supervisor that can provide a strong recommendation based on your academic, technical employment or research based performance and ability to successfully complete a graduate degree in STEM. An internship or co-op supervisor that holds an MS or PhD degree is ideal.

The deadline to apply and have a complete application on file is November 13, 2020 at 11:59PM EST. Visit the GEM website at www.gemfellowship.org, GEM Fellowship link at top of page, for information on the program and how to apply.

Thank you for your interest in the GEM Fellowship program. 

The National GEM Consortium

// BREAK //

As courtesy, the previous threads have been listed:

GEM Fellowship 2020

GEM Fellowship 2019

GEM Fellowship 2018

GEM Fellowship 2017

GEM Fellowship 2016

GEM Fellowship 2015

GEM Fellowship 2014

GEM Fellowship 2012

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/24/2020 at 1:56 PM, Day312 said:

I agree, with a bit difficult to use. Have anyone received confirmation after submitting Part 1 of the application? How do we know if we are part of the Early Consideration?

I dug around the older GEM threads and it seems that applicants are not matched with an employer until December/early 2021. I don't know if early consideration actually does anything.

As a side note, anyone reading this should check with their GEM University reps to see if funding is actually available for the schools you are applying to. I would not rely on the GEM website to tell you if the school funds MS fellows and/or PhD fellows. I've had the misfortune of applying to a school's MS program under GEM (as listed on the GEM website), and then getting told by the school that they do not fund MS fellows and haven't for years. I also know that this same school accepts GEM PhD fellows, but they do not provide the additional $16K stipend for these candidates on top of their normal PhD stipend. Instead, they "claim" that the PhD candidates already get the $16k via their normal stipend, which is a BS move. 

• 3 weeks later...

How do you know which fellowship you are being considered for? Or, are you considered for all three types and awarded depending on the schools you get into? I ask because I don't want to do the internship with GEM, I just want the funding.

20 hours ago, Rsmith21 said:

How do you know which fellowship you are being considered for? Or, are you considered for all three types and awarded depending on the schools you get into? I ask because I don't want to do the internship with GEM, I just want the funding.

Depends if you fill out on the application that you want to do the internship. Otherwise, you would only be considered as an Associate (MS or PhD) or University fellow (MS only).

10 hours ago, M4c11in said:

Anyone knows how competitive the fellowship actually is?

No idea. Did a quick search on google for official statistics and couldn't find anything.

9 hours ago, adomakor412 said:

Is anyone having trouble pasting their purpose statement in Part 2. I submitted part 1 so my recommenders could upload there references, but I am not able to paste my purpose statement in part 2.

I had trouble with that. I just called their office, explained the issue, and they were able to resolve it for me. I wouldn't email though because calling is so much faster since it's due today.

On 11/13/2020 at 9:12 AM, isagab said:

I had trouble with that. I just called their office, explained the issue, and they were able to resolve it for me. I wouldn't email though because calling is so much faster since it's due today.

Yea I had trouble too, I also called the office and they told me to send a doc file of the statement and that they would paste it over the weekend

also I submitted part 1 of the app early , but the system made it seem like I didn’t because it asked me to review part 1 to submit it when finishing the whole application, which was weird, but I couldn’t edit part 1 of the app at all so I guess it did submit but the system was just glitched. The system for this application is so broken lol 

1 hour ago, PHY. said:

Hello everyone! My status changed to matched, I don't know when this happened -- never got an email (assuming this morning?). Has anyones status changed? 

Already? That was fast - we barely just hit a week after the deadline.

If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats and major?

Edited by disavowed_

38 minutes ago, disavowed_ said:

Already? That was fast - we barely just hit a week after the deadline.

If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats and major?

I'll keep my stats private -- it was enough to apply. My major is Physics and Im applying for a masters. I'd like to add being matched is a first step, but it does not guarantee anything. Im pretty sure everyone on this forum will be matched this week. 

17 hours ago, PHY. said:

I'll keep my stats private -- it was enough to apply. My major is Physics and Im applying for a masters. I'd like to add being matched is a first step, but it does not guarantee anything. Im pretty sure everyone on this forum will be matched this week. 

Under "basic information" do you have a company listed under "Employer Sponsor"? I got matched recently and there's a company on mine but not sure what that means. I haven't been contacted by them or anything. 

Edited by DataSci

1 hour ago, DataSci said:

Under "basic information" do you have a company listed under "Employer Sponsor"? I got matched recently and there's a company on mine but not sure what that means. I haven't been contacted by them or anything. 

Yes I have a potential sponsor. I see it as a firm that took interest when they looked over your application, not too sure though. 

On 11/22/2020 at 4:33 PM, PHY. said:

Hello everyone! My status changed to matched, I don't know when this happened -- never got an email (assuming this morning?). Has anyones status changed? 

Mine as well. I've been matched for a week or so now, but also have not received an email either. 

11 hours ago, DC_ said:

To the people that were matched did you apply by the first early consideration deadline? 

I did not. But I am a currently matriculating PhD student and my advisor has a contact at one of the labs, so I think they wanted to hold my application ASAP. 

14 hours ago, DC_ said:

To the people that were matched did you apply by the first early consideration deadline? 

I submitted part one by the early consideration deadline. Due to my schedule, I submitted part two on Nov. 13th.